Wrapping a Fiero by ledtear
Started on: 05-23-2024 11:19 AM
Replies: 14 (293 views)
Last post by: Notorio on 06-05-2024 07:58 PM
ledtear

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2024 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ledtearSend a Private Message to ledtearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I have an 88 that is in serious need of a paint job. But I am wondering if wrapping it is an option. I've never done it before. Is it difficult? Is it something an amateur can take on?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2024 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I recently (like a year ago) wrapped a motorcycle and it was a lot harder than I expected but I think that's because the body parts that needed to be wrapped were small and quite curvy. Also, I kept readjusting the vinyl because I thought certain creases would otherwise never come out. By doing that, I actually overstretched the wrap a few times, causing it to discolor.

Then the second time I wrapped it (I redid it about 6 months later) it was much easier since I understood the vinyl is very forgiving and creases actually come out easily f you use moderate heat from a heat gun or blow dryer.

I honestly thing wrapping a Fiero isn't that hard since the body panels aren't all that curvy at all. Just watch a few videos on YouTube and you get a good idea what it takes to wrap a car. I'm actually thinking about wrapping my Fiero too. The only problem I see is that it won't last forever. I've read that 5 years is the max before it starts to get ugly. Also, it will not cover up any irregularities. If you have chipped paint, that will be visible once wrapped too.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2024 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Wrapping needs good finish to attach to or will fail & likely soon, @ minimum will look like crap because most defects shows thru.

So bad clear coat etc must be fix before applying the wrap.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2024 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2024 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This link to CK Wraps has a lot of videos by a very skilled wrapper that gives some very informative instruction on specific situations as Cliff has mentioned. Heat is a must and he shows where to heat, where to stretch along with how and when. CK Wraps is careful and methodical while the previously posted video is fast and a bit sloppy in places.

https://www.youtube.com/@CKWraps

https://ckwraps.com/videos

As Ogre has said, the surface has to be prepared as well as if you were going to paint, if you want the wrap to stay and look good. If the clear coat is pealing, so will the wrap. If there are chips and gouges in the paint, they will show through the wrap, just like paint.

My choice to wrap is based on the space I have to work is not a place that would be welcome to have overspray all over everything. Also, the paint would have to be done all at once, where the wrap can be done in stages as time allows.

[This message has been edited by 87GT3800SC5SPD (edited 05-24-2024).]

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2024 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

...I've read that 5 years is the max before it starts to get ugly...

Wraps are good for:
1) Protecting a perfect paint finish from the elements. They can be stripped of and the paint finish still be good. Lots of exotic car owners in Sydney have their rides clear wrapped to protect the factory finish
2) Getting a new look, quickly. They are a lot faster than a new paint job.
3) Getting a different type of finish, e.g.: chrome, metallics, snakeskin, etc.
4) Saving money. Wraps are considerably less expensive than a 1st class paint job.

Wraps can last a long time if they are protected from the weather. The length of time will vary on the type of finish - metallics fade quickly if exposed to the sun as do some reds and greens. High pressure washing at the carwash is a no-no.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2024 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Quikgta had a nice wrap on his Fiero.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 05-24-2024).]

tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2024 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I wrapped mine last winter. Wasn't too hard - just get a little extra wrap since there will almost certainly be mistakes made. But when you make a mistake, just discard that portion and try again. As was previously linked, I looked at a lot of videos by CK wraps before deciding to go this route. My paint was pretty bad too, which is why I chose to do this. As mentioned, minor imperfections do show through, so fill in those chips and sand things smooth before proceeding.

Mine certainly isn't a professional job, but it's way better than the paint job I had, and the color is pretty unique so turns even more heads than normal.

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2024 09:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
How much would it cost?

Plain non-metallic color.
tnkgnr

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2024 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tnkgnrSend a Private Message to tnkgnrEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought a 50' x 5' roll of the satin red metallic and it was $215. Had well more than enough leftover even with some mistakes. But I didn't go with a name brand, which I think was about double the cost. Having someone do it for you of course would skyrocket that cost and would depend on their labor charge.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2024 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by tnkgnr:

I bought a 50' x 5' roll of the satin red metallic and it was $215. Had well more than enough leftover even with some mistakes. But I didn't go with a name brand, which I think was about double the cost. Having someone do it for you of course would skyrocket that cost and would depend on their labor charge.

I have no experience at painting or wrapping. The first time I do anything it usually does not turn out well. That is just the nature of learning anything. I feel like with wrapping it would be easier to "erase" a mistake and just start over.

Painting seems like it would be 100 times harder. I own a compressor, but I don't see anyway possible I could do a decent paint job first time.

PFF
System Bot
da.slyboy

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2024 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for da.slyboySend a Private Message to da.slyboyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
While no expert on painting, as long as you are going for a basic color, most paint can also be forgiving. If you get drips or runs you lightly wet-sand and hit with another coat before clear. An advantage to wraps is the material costs are lower if doing yourself, since you only need the wrap (and the wrap kit) vs primer/sealer, paint, reducers, clear coat, hardner etc.
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2024 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My Fiero is wrapped and I am very happy with it. It was done by a professional shop

Asking if it is easy to do yourself is kind of vague, since it really depends on the abilities of the person asking the question. To some people, pulling and rebuilding an engine is easy, while to others, it is difficult to just change spark plugs. Same can be said for cooking, painting, math. etc...

As others stated, the body needs to be perfect (no cracks, peeling, scratches, etc) or it will show through

Good luck
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2024 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Asking if it is easy to do yourself is kind of vague, since it really depends on the abilities of the person asking the question.

I assume there are many videos on Youtube. I am going to watch a lot before deciding if I want to try it myself.

For example I am adding side scoops. I was going to ask how you wrap them, but I decided to just watch a video.

Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-05-2024 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

Quikgta had a nice wrap on his Fiero.

That is totally awesome ...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock