High Mileage OIl by FieroMark
Started on: 05-22-2024 08:33 AM
Replies: 5 (122 views)
Last post by: FieroMark on 05-28-2024 08:01 AM
FieroMark

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMarkSend a Private Message to FieroMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My '88 GT has 22,000 miles so clearly not "high mileage", but still 36 years old.

What do folks think about using high mileage motor oil? Is the seal conditioner in that oil's additive package really intended for the AGE of the soft internal seals, or the WEAR associated with high miles?

Thoughts??
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMark:

My '88 GT has 22,000 miles so clearly not "high mileage", but still 36 years old.

What do folks think about using high mileage motor oil? Is the seal conditioner in that oil's additive package really intended for the AGE of the soft internal seals, or the WEAR associated with high miles?

Thoughts??

Back in the day (20 years ago), we used to add transmission fluid to our normal motor oil in order to get the seals to "swell." This would help seal them supposedly. I don't know if this is still true. But there's a lot of stuff that's been taken out of oil that should have been in there. At 22k miles, the motor likely still has the hatch marks on the cyl wall. I'd just go with Synthetic and maybe (for the sake of the lifters), use some additive like ZMAX or something.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 10:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Flat-Tappet Cams and the 'Right' Engine Oil MATTERS!

Read This Thread - "Engine Oils Have Changed Over Time from the Fiero Era"
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/147614.html

The API SF rating on the V6 was critical for the flat-tappet lifters/cam engine, but the SF specification is now obsolete.

As Synthetic Oil - There are two sides of the argument about the danger of running synthetic oil in a flat-tappet cam engine.

To me, I still use conventional oil in all of my classics....

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can go by age not miles for Fiero...

Valvoline was the first "High Mileage" oil and could work if Only the "rubber" seals like on the crank nose was hard.
If have a leak over a drip or 3 a day... could work or not depend what is leaking etc.

All others came latter when Valvoline got good reviews from most if not all trade & auto rags.

⚠️ could add ZDDP etc but many products add way too much not only make the engine wear out, can Poison the Cat. Is Why current API reduce some chemicals in engine oil.
Other additives actually reduce cleaner other chemicals in engine oils because many have no cleaners etc so dilute the main oil by the amount of the additive "bottle."
More Zinc = More Wear? The REAL Truth About ZDDP Additives https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erxjPicpYyw
If You LOVE One Of These Additives, DON'T Watch This Video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAGT5inQScE

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yep. I've watched a lot of video from Lake Speed Jr. Dude is a lube scientist. No bull....
FieroMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2024 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMarkSend a Private Message to FieroMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I, too, watched Lake Speed's videos and clear evidence that adding ANYTHING to your oil puts you in the category of experimental chemist.

I was just wondering if hi-mileage oil acts in a way such that seals actually wear quicker after some period of time. You know, beneficial for a period then actually becomes harmful. My 2.8 has zero leaks at this time, and I'm just trying to keep it that way.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock