ECU BLM always at 120 by jtontch
Started on: 05-19-2024 06:00 AM
Replies: 5 (128 views)
Last post by: Raydar on 05-22-2024 09:58 PM
jtontch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jtontchSend a Private Message to jtontchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I had a problem with the injectors on my Fiero 85 V6 ECU 1226869 and swapped the original 5235210 (14.65LBS/HR) for ones from a 91 Firebird 17084888 (15.4LBS/HR), 5% more flow.
The engine runs well, but smells a bit like gasoline.

I noticed that the BLM is always at 120 (=minimum), so the ECU constantly wants to reduce gasoline by about 6%.

Which value should I adjust with TunerPro to get the BLM to regulate again?

1.) Minimum BLM from 120 to 115?
2.) Reduce Base Pule Constant from 224 by 5%?
Table "Base Puls Constant V. EGR Duty Cycle" also reduced by 5%?

Or another value?

Greeting.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Craig71188

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Craig71188Send a Private Message to Craig71188Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am not a tuner. I have learned over many years of racing to always change one thing at a time and view the results before making another change. My observations:
1) You increased injector flow by 5% without making changes.
2) BLM is stuck at minimum so you cannot be sure if it wants to actually remove MORE fuel

To me the logical choice would be to reduce base pulse constant by 5% FIRST (assuming values were all in line with the original injectors) then drive for a bit and see where the other values settle. Keep in mind BLM equates to long term fuel trim and is learned over time. Integrator equates to short term fuel trim and is the "active" adjustment. As I understand it "128" is a typical integrator value and yours is way below that so it too is actively looking to reduce fuel flow.

It would seem you need to reduce the base flow on the bigger injector for normal driving and get it more "centered" in the range of automatic adjustments the system can make.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 11:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the BLM and INT staying static at 120?
jtontch

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jtontchSend a Private Message to jtontchEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
BLM is stable at 120, INT is moving.

[This message has been edited by jtontch (edited 05-19-2024).]

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check for properly operating O2 sensor? I'm assuming you are in closed loop.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2024 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would also adjust the base pulse constant.
I made a similar adjustment when I added the Allante intake to my 4.9. Both engines use 19# injectors, and are rated at 200 HP, but the Allante is a 4.5, vs the 4.9.
I think I increased it by 10%. At a steady cruise, my BLM hovered around 128, afterward.

I have opened up the MIN/MAX BLM window on a couple of cars, but it was strictly as a "band-aid", for someone who insisted on running too small injectors in a 3.4. The ECM was constantly trying to add gas, and was maxed out. At least it ran better when it switched to closed loop.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock