Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Source for New (not reman) V6 distrubutors?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Source for New (not reman) V6 distrubutors? by SunsetChaser
Started on: 05-09-2024 03:14 PM
Replies: 14 (230 views)
Last post by: Vintage-Nut on 05-19-2024 09:59 AM
SunsetChaser

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Gonna replace my GT's distributor and would like to install a new Delco unit. Anyone know a good source for new ones?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Whatever distributor you end up buying, make sure it's the newer style.

SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 05:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Whatever distributor you end up buying, make sure it's the newer style.

Yeah I believe they are all the new style that I've seen. Just can't seem to find new units. Has the well finally run dry on those?
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 06:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Spadesluck

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 06:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpadesluckSend a Private Message to SpadesluckEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Spadesluck

2076 posts
Member since Jul 2016
SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spadesluck:

Fiero Store

Appears to be an aftermarket. But anyway I was finally able to find a new ACDelco model.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-10-2024 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SunsetChaser:

I was finally able to find a new ACDelco model.

Was it the newer style as well?

SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-11-2024 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Was it the newer style as well?

Should be arriving next week so I'll update when it shows up.
SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well this purchase turned out to be a bust. The part arrived at the local O'Reilly and it was a remanufactured unit so I returned it on the spot. I've checked ebay, amazon, rock auto, summit racing, o'reilly's and autozone but no go. I think it's safe to say that brand new ACDelco distributors for our V6's are long gone at this point.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 08:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by SunsetChaser:

I think it's safe to say that brand new ACDelco distributors for our V6's are long gone at this point.

Why the need to buy a "brand new ACDelco distributor"? They're probably all the inferior old style anyway.

Get one of the superior newer style distributors, toss out the supplied crap ICM, install an ACDelco ICM, and you're good to go!
SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Why the need to buy a "brand new ACDelco distributor"? They're probably all the inferior old style anyway.

Get one of the superior newer style distributors, toss out the supplied crap ICM, install an ACDelco ICM, and you're good to go!

I may have no choice, but paying O'Reilly $287 for an OEM reman when it costs $144 on amazon is lunacy.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There are deals to be found. Last year, I bought a Cardone 30-1633 distributor on eBay for $25 (plus $16.50 international shipping).

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-18-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2024 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use GM Original Equipment parts too and I rebuilt my original V6 distributor last year....

Why not rebuild your distributor with 'real' AC Delco parts?

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 05-17-2024).]

SunsetChaser

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SunsetChaserSend a Private Message to SunsetChaserEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

I use GM Original Equipment parts too and I rebuilt my original V6 distributor last year....

Why not rebuild your distributor with 'real' AC Delco parts?

Sounds like a way to go if it's not too involved. Mine's pretty rusted out so I hope I don't need to use too many components towards the rebuild.

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2024 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

SunsetChaser:
Sounds like a way to go {rebuild} if it's not too involved.

Obviously, rebuilding your distributor will take more effort than replacing it with a 'new' unit.

And clearly as Patrick pointed out, replacing the archaic 'prong' design with the newer 'star' design IS better.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SunsetChaser:
Mine's pretty rusted out....

No, your distributor is not "pretty rusted out" - look at Patrick's photo in this thread!
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/146823.html

If your O-ring isn't leaking oil at the base, "why" replace/rebuild it?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you want to replace it for other reasons:
You want the 'easy' way out; you want ACDelco but refused the remanufactured newer 'star' design and are complaining on prices of vintage/classic parts?

Your choices are either purchase a unit (ACDelco or Aftermarket) OR rebuild the original V6 distributor.........

BTW - I can send you a step-to-step procedure IF you want to rebuild and good luck in your decision

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 05-19-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay