starter not working on 88 formula by cartercarbaficionado
Started on: 05-09-2024 12:34 AM
Replies: 8 (126 views)
Last post by: cartercarbaficionado on 05-09-2024 06:16 PM
cartercarbaficionado

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
this happened a few days ago now and I cannot figure it out for the life of me
starter stopped cranking the engine but the voltage would drop to 8 like it was trying to so assumed it was just done, had it rebuilt by me and then someone who knew what they were doing and nothing. had it tested and it tested like it was new
I'm getting the signal to start (I think? need someone to help before I verify) and it seems like it just doesn't have enough strength to even try anymore and yes it's shimmed correctly I did check
I'm gonna be pulling it again and really checking it over because I would like to drive my fiero again and this kinda makes that near impossible with it sitting at the bottom of a hill and on gravel and only having me to push it
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
HarryT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HarryTSend a Private Message to HarryTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you put a load test on your battery or tried jumping it with another battery?
Harry
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 02:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

this happened a few days ago now and I cannot figure it out for the life of me
starter stopped cranking the engine but the voltage would drop to 8 like it was trying to so assumed it was just done, had it rebuilt by me and then someone who knew what they were doing and nothing. had it tested and it tested like it was new
I'm getting the signal to start (I think? need someone to help before I verify) and it seems like it just doesn't have enough strength to even try anymore and yes it's shimmed correctly I did check
I'm gonna be pulling it again and really checking it over because I would like to drive my fiero again and this kinda makes that near impossible with it sitting at the bottom of a hill and on gravel and only having me to push it
Seeing < 12 volts your first check should be battery then wiring.
IOW Battery w/ dead cell or two or bad wiring will cause this.

Battery w/ dead cell might charge to 12v then drops < 11v under starting load & stay low.
Iffy battery cables etc can do same but often doesn't stay low.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-09-2024).]

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Seeing < 12 volts your first check should be battery then wiring.
IOW Battery w/ dead cell or two or bad wiring will cause this.

Battery w/ dead cell might charge to 12v then drops < 11v under starting load & stay low.
Iffy battery cables etc can do same but often doesn't stay low.

got help and figured it out partially with someone turning the key while I tested the signal wire
I got 3 volts out of the large purple wire and the purple and white fusible link exploded in my face (looked funny before I started honestly) and after it was done I checked the wire further up and it's a direct connection to ground as told to me by the multimeter
pretty sure the fusible link is for my cold start injector based on some research I did and as for my low signal voltage I have no idea what's wrong since my neutral safety switch is already bypassed and was checked first

[This message has been edited by cartercarbaficionado (edited 05-09-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
V6 w/ fusible link on the starter is the cold start injector circuit.
Wires, thermal switch or the inject can short out.

Examples: Check very carefully for exhaust leak that melted engine wires. Or sharp edges that cut into wires.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

V6 w/ fusible link on the starter is the cold start injector circuit.
Wires, thermal switch or the inject can short out.

Examples: Check very carefully for exhaust leak that melted engine wires. Or sharp edges that cut into wires.

ok, any ideas on my low voltage for the crank run in position wire? this is a manual harness
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

ok, any ideas on my low voltage for the crank run in position wire? this is a manual harness

The start signal path is from the ignition switch to the clutch safety switch to the C500 E4.
-Misadjusted ignition switch
-Corrosion on ignition switch contacts
-Corrosion in clutch safety switch

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 04:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The start signal path is from the ignition switch to the clutch safety switch to the C500 E4.

clutch switch has been bypassed for as long as I've owned the car, the Ignition switch seems likely since this had this low voltage issue after I took apart the column, will verify and clean
this goes have that stupid little box that's in litterally every gm and barely changes right? if so then I have a few good spares
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

149 posts
Member since Sep 2023

Originally posted by olejoedad:

starter is now fixed, I redid some wiring and grounds and it's working just fine now but my idle above 1.5k is back

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock