Started on: 05-08-2024 07:30 PM
Replies: 7 (62 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-09-2024 07:36 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I didn't really find anything in search (yeah, I tried). I'm looking to replace the original oil pressure sending unit / switch in my daughter's car, and the old one is pretty rough looking. I went looking on Rock Auto, and I see two distinct kinds right now.

The original style:

... and this other style?

They have the exact same connector, and screw in exactly the same too... but there is a $50 difference in price. Is this smaller one just a newer replacement style that fits the same? I actually kind of like the smaller dimensions of this. Anyway, I wanted to ask "the group" on whether or not they are dramatically different...

Hoping that you guys say... "totally cool, no problems, we've all switched..." and not a

⚠️ Warning: This can happen, or worse... from Ogre with a story of a seized engine after the small one burst open and dumped all the oil over the street.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stingray92

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
On my 84 i have the smaller/simpler one is just functioning as a pressure switch.

The larger unit on you're 1st pic was on my 86 2.5 block, I believe the difference is one lights the dash light (switch) the other might have analog variable signal. I tried to find my old one, but it's buried in the stuff I'm not putting on mine somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Stingray92 (edited 05-08-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 08:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stingray92:

On my 84 i have the smaller/simpler one is just functioning as a pressure switch.

The larger unit on you're 1st pic was on my 86 2.5 block, I believe the difference is one lights the dash light (switch) the other might have analog variable signal. I tried to find my old one, but it's buried in the stuff I'm not putting on mine somewhere.

Ok, that tells me they're basically the same... probably a newer design. The ones I was looking at (smaller ones) say they also support a "light" ... or more specifically, it says "w/ Light."

Interesting though, it would much rather have one that shows the variable oil pressure, rather than just ON / OFF when it's also feeding the dash signal. I didn't see anything in the search that compared the two.

On your 84, are you able to see your oil pressure, and is it working properly?
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The small one is correct for a stock 84 with just an oil light. The bigger ones is for cars with an oil pressure gauge.
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah on mine its just a light on the dash, no indication of pressure whatsoever. If I recall correctly the switch has a very low cut off maybe around 5 psi. I used a multimeter and mechanical guage to verify.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Hey guys, I didn't really find anything in search (yeah, I tried). I'm looking to replace the original oil pressure sending unit / switch in my daughter's car, and the old one is pretty rough looking. I went looking on Rock Auto, and I see two distinct kinds right now.

The original style:

... and this other style?

They have the exact same connector, and screw in exactly the same too... but there is a $50 difference in price. Is this smaller one just a newer replacement style that fits the same? I actually kind of like the smaller dimensions of this. Anyway, I wanted to ask "the group" on whether or not they are dramatically different...

Hoping that you guys say... "totally cool, no problems, we've all switched..." and not a

⚠️ Warning: This can happen, or worse... from Ogre with a story of a seized engine after the small one burst open and dumped all the oil over the street.

oil pressure sender is the big guy and the small is only for the lights for whatever reason
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Updated OP Sender to run a Gauge is 88 Sender w/ new plug.
see https://web.archive.org/web...rocave/oilsender.htm

Even if they fail won't drain oil on the road fast like old one as often does just that while gauge still works.

You Can't use the small switch above w/ a gauge.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-09-2024 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys, that makes total sense now. Thanks Ogre, I'll go that route then with the new one. It's half the price of the big bulky one.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock