Decklid hinge security torx bolt by gregr75
Started on: 05-06-2024 07:55 PM
Replies: 11 (232 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-16-2024 04:24 PM
gregr75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi guys

I tried removing the T40 size security bolt that fastens the end of the torsion rod to the decklid hinge. i ended having to dremel 2 flats on the head and vice-grip it off... the head sheared off and now im left with a piece of the bolt still in the hinge. assuming i can drill out the piece and salvage the M6-1.00 threads, can i just use a normal M6-1.00 bolt to put it back together?

Reason i ask is this bolt appears to have some unusual geometry. It appears to have a length of shoulder under the head before the threads start and some kind of taper at the end of the bolt.

bolt head side:

end of bolt side:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
At least on mine they are grade 9.8. Standard bolts I wouldn't trust them/think they would hold up to the cycling of the decklid.

FYI mine are M8 x 1.0 x 30
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Stingray92

110 posts
Member since Feb 2014
Oops, sorry you're talking about the security strap retainer? If so it's probably at least a 9.8. Sail area can be a real pain at times. Mine are in a box can't get to them at the moment.
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes its the smaller bolt, 1 on each hinge, that you have to relieve torque rod tension on before unscrewing.

drivers side hinge and decklid are currently off car.

[This message has been edited by gregr75 (edited 05-06-2024).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 06:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You will want to replace it with another shoulder bolt. Shoulder bolts are designed to allow the bolt to be fully tightened and for the part contained on the shoulder part free to rotate slightly.

McMaster had a bunch of options, but you will need to know the thread length, shoulder diameter and shoulder length. If the threads are too long, you can cut off the excess. If the shoulder is too long, you can add a washer.
https://www.mcmaster.com/pr.../?s=m6+shoulder+bolt
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2024 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK thanks, Unfortunately the shoulder measures .350 inch diameter or 8.9 mm which is non-standard shoulder diameter in the mcmaster catalog. I looked a couple other places too.

I may have to turn down a larger bolt on a lathe. Or maybe slide a custom bushing over a normal bolt.

[This message has been edited by gregr75 (edited 05-08-2024).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
...or just buy a set of good used ones from someone on here?
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

...or just buy a set of good used ones from someone on here?

or he could find some off the shelf stuff to help figure out how to remake a bunch of the weird rare bolts. I'm still working on making the tail light bolts for a notchback because it would be nice to buy new ones and know they are obtainable, also working on decklid screws that aren't 30 bucks from the fiero store.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

149 posts
Member since Sep 2023

Originally posted by gregr75:

OK thanks, Unfortunately the shoulder measures .350 inch diameter or 8.9 mm which is non-standard shoulder diameter in the mcmaster catalog. I looked a couple other places too.

I may have to turn down a larger bolt on a lathe. Or maybe slide a custom bushing over a normal bolt.

I think a brass tube might work over a standard bolt, might need to do a Russian nesting doll approach to make it tight but it should work, turning a bolt down is definitely the easiest though
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-14-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

149 posts
Member since Sep 2023

Originally posted by gregr75:

I made a bolt for this like 20 minutes ago for my 84, I took a oil pan bolt and made a bushing out of a thick wall copper tube available at home depot and it worked to fasten my terrifying torsion springs to the hinges (they broke the pin like 5 minutes later and tried to self disassemble)
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2024 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

I think a brass tube might work over a standard bolt, might need to do a Russian nesting doll approach to make it tight but it should work, turning a bolt down is definitely the easiest though

With the tension that is on the rod, it would chew through that brass/copper sleeve in a short time.

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2024 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Think GM used "red locktite" on those bolt that needs 250-400°F Heat to remove. (Most hardware w/ "locktite" GM etc uses @ car factory are Dry formulas equiv or better then thread lock chems available to the public.)

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
With the tension that is on the rod, it would chew through that brass/copper sleeve in a short time.
Yup, those bars are major loaded when the lid is closed & the links try to saw thru whatever on the way open or close.
Some Steel & other tubing is soft & "weak" too for cutting w/ standard tube cut wheels & may not work long doing this job.

Some say might help to grease them but grease/oil will hold dirt etc often in longer term does more damage.

Dry Teflon & related often doesn't help much or at all w/ high load items but I still spray them because helps keep crap off everywhere else on the links & bars.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock