Engine stalls at idle by Gogoman
Started on: 05-05-2024 09:06 PM
Replies: 21 (193 views)
Last post by: cartercarbaficionado on 05-07-2024 11:09 PM
Gogoman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everyone. I’ve been having issues with my 1987 fiero gt 2.8. It’s starts but after a while the car run and warm up it stalls out and would continue to stall when warm. I got a new MAP, IAC, TPS, EGR valve and Tube, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Remanufactured Fuel injectors, New alternator, New spark wires and plugs. New initial coil and distribution, ICM. New O2 sensor. New PCV. New fuel filter-oil and air. Also I recently replaced the fuel pump. I’m at a lost I replace almost everything and the car stall when warm.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Gogoman:

Hey everyone. I’ve been having issues with my 1987 fiero gt 2.8. It’s starts but after a while the car run and warm up it stalls out and would continue to stall when warm. I got a new MAP, IAC, TPS, EGR valve and Tube, Fuel Pressure Regulator, Remanufactured Fuel injectors, New alternator, New spark wires and plugs. New initial coil and distribution, ICM. New O2 sensor. New PCV. New fuel filter-oil and air. Also I recently replaced the fuel pump. I’m at a lost I replace almost everything and the car stall when warm.

unplug everything and plug it back in securely. had this issue on the 88 and it was my MAP jiggling loose
though if it's continuing to stall without codes start checking ignition system
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

unplug everything and plug it back in securely. had this issue on the 88 and it was my MAP jiggling loose
though if it's continuing to stall without codes start checking ignition system

Have been doing this. Looked around the whole engine looking at hoses, everything secured. Will double check for sure. I also replaced the starter and it’s cranking well and added the Rodney’s idler pull to had more tension to the alternator, water ,and crank pulley. I will say crank up is at sometimes inconsistent. Example the engine will start right up and later will stumble to crank. This happens at random.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I got a new... Fuel Pressure Regulator... Also I recently replaced the fuel pump.

Don't assume the fuel pressure is correct. What is it?

Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I’m not sure. I’ll get a fuel pressure test kit and see if I have a drop off in pressure. Ones I’ve done that I’ll update the results. I saw how to do it and check what could be the issue.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One of the more common reasons for low fuel pressure is degeneration of the short length of hose that connects the fuel pump to the apparatus in the tank. If the proper SAE 30R10 submersible hose isn't used, it eventually rots. I had a similar problem as reported Here.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

One of the more common reasons for low fuel pressure is degeneration of the short length of hose that connects the fuel pump to the apparatus in the tank. If the proper SAE 30R10 submersible hose isn't used, it eventually rots. I had a similar problem as reported Here.

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE
[/QUOTEi

I did put a Rodney fuel pump assembly in the car a day ago and didn’t notice any deficiency with that particular hose. Could it possibly be loss of compression. I’ve noticed that small amounts of white smoke is coming out of the exhaust it could indicate that coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber, also when I rev up the car up to 4,000 rpm the exhaust POPS I don’t know if that serves any purpose but it doesn’t seem normal so I mentioned it.
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024
P.S I ordered a compression test kit to test this theory. I will post the findings ones the test is complete
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did put a Rodney fuel pump assembly in the car a day ago and didn’t notice any deficiency with that particular hose.

A less than perfect clamping of a perfectly good hose could potentially leak. A fuel pressure test would alleviate any/all concerns regarding fuel pressure, and it's so easy to do on the Fiero's 2.8 engine.

I’ve noticed that small amounts of white smoke is coming out of the exhaust it could indicate that coolant is leaking into the combustion chamber...

Could just be condensation in the exhaust system burning off.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 05:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have been doing this. Looked around the whole engine looking at hoses, everything secured. Will double check for sure. I also replaced the starter and it’s cranking well and added the Rodney’s idler pull to had more tension to the alternator, water ,and crank pulley. I will say crank up is at sometimes inconsistent. Example the engine will start right up and later will stumble to crank. This happens at random.

huh. your describing my 88 currently. I know mine is an ignition issue with my Chinese distributor coming with a bad icm and I've been ignoring it. post a video if you can, I want to hear it being weird so I might have a better idea
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

So I’ve check my fuel pressure and when the ignition is on the gauge is 43 psi and steady ones the ignition is off it goes to 40 psi and very slowly goes down.

PFF
System Bot
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024

Could just be condensation in the exhaust system burning off.

Thanks. Let me know if any of the reading I got are of any help.
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024

huh. your describing my 88 currently. I know mine is an ignition issue with my Chinese distributor coming with a bad icm and I've been ignoring it. post a video if you can, I want to hear it being weird so I might have a better idea

I still have my original distributor. I’ll change the ICM and see if a get any results from the swap. Also ones I get the chance I’ll post a video of the engine running. One with the new ICM and another with the original ICM.
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024
Alright y’all I still haven’t done the compression test but I did take some videos of the engine.

The first is the engine cold start and like i said this video has the new ICM that came with the new distributor.

The second video is a warm start with original ICM. The engine started running immediately better

The third video is the erratic start up I was talking about in the previous post, this is also with the original ICM

[This message has been edited by Gogoman (edited 05-07-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 03:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Remove shorts/ from your URL and use watch?v= instead. (EDIT - Good job!)

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-07-2024).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick

36510 posts
Member since Apr 99

So I’ve check my fuel pressure and when the ignition is on the gauge is 43 psi and steady ones the ignition is off it goes to 40 psi and very slowly goes down.

That seems fine.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 05:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Alright y’all I still haven’t done the compression test but I did take some videos of the engine.

The first is the engine cold start and like i said this video has the new ICM that came with the new distributor.

[url=]Cold start. New ICM

The second video is a warm start with original ICM. The engine started running immediately better

https://youtube.com/shorts/...?si=K8X1WMRkkmItKp4u]Warm start original ICM [/url]

The third video is the erratic start up I was talking about in the previous post, this is also with the original ICM

https://youtube.com/shorts/...?si=F_FjMrq5E13SQe60]Erratic start up [/url]

a. that is a gorgeous gt that Is remarkably similar to one I was looking at
b. what Is that pipe by your coil used for? I found one laying in my 84 and didn't know it was supposed to be on a gt
c. yeah your having ignition issues you can hear it just completely stop firing, grab a spark tester and see if you can confirm it using that because it might be just cutting your spark at random due to a bad connection
d. one of these was litterally what my formula was doing (the warm start on the original icm) running bad, terrible high erratic idle and stalling out and mine was my MAP sensor connector not staying seated though we are pretty sure that isn't it for you. i wish i was closer because I would take my formula with tested parts to swap onto yours and narrow it down further, honestly I'm debating on whether or not it is possible you got 2 bad maps

[This message has been edited by cartercarbaficionado (edited 05-07-2024).]

Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Patrick:

Remove shorts/ from your URL and use watch?v= instead. (Click EDIT on my post to see what I used to embed your video.)

Thanks Patrick now it should be easy to watch
Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024

a. that is a gorgeous gt that Is remarkably similar to one I was looking at
b. what Is that pipe by your coil used for? I found one laying in my 84 and didn't know it was supposed to be on a gt
c. yeah your having ignition issues you can hear it just completely stop firing, grab a spark tester and see if you can confirm it using that because it might be just cutting your spark at random due to a bad connection
d. one of these was litterally what my formula was doing (the warm start on the original icm) running bad, terrible high erratic idle and stalling out and mine was my MAP sensor connector not staying seated though we are pretty sure that isn't it for you. i wish i was closer because I would take my formula with tested parts to swap onto yours and narrow it down further, honestly I'm debating on whether or not it is possible you got 2 bad maps

A- Thanks. It was a lucky find. I saw the vehicle posted on facebook and had to go see it in person. Literally down the road where i live. I’m the second owner and it has 86,000 original miles on the vehicle besides this problem that I’m having now the vehicle has come a long way and will definitely need more work.

B- if I’m not mistaken that pipe blow cold air to the ignition coil. On the passenger side wall in the trunk GM put a blow motor to blow cold air to that ignition coil.

C- Alright it seems I’ll be getting a spark test kit. I still have my original spark plug wires. I’ll run a test with the new ones and then I’ll run a test with the originals, see if something different happens. I also left the original ICM since I noticed the car was running a log smother with it.

D- Well I check my map yesterday, all the connections are good, no corrosion in the connector and I did this to both MAP (the original and new). I noticed the original made the engine run poorly, immediately stalling the engine and the new MAP held on pretty well but the engine still stalled out. Tho to bad MAP is still not ruled out.

Gogoman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GogomanSend a Private Message to GogomanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Gogoman

12 posts
Member since Apr 2024
Guys thank you so much for all of your information and support during this problem. I’ve successfully fix the issue with my engine. It was an ignition issue affecting the engine. The distributor was not time right. I simply losses the bolt holding down the distributor and moved it left or right to adjust the timing. I did all this while the engine was running and WOW it made a difference. Engine is not running rough I’m idling really good and ones the engine settles at a nice 1,000 rpm and it runs smooth. Finally took the car for a nice cruise around the block.
Thanks again for all the help y’all.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The distributor was not time right.

Please don't take this personally... but damn, I think most of us (make the mistake to) assume that absolute basic stuff like ignition timing has been checked/done before anyone reaches out for help and/or advice. Nevertheless, I do appreciate you reporting back and letting us know the outcome!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-07-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Guys thank you so much for all of your information and support during this problem. I’ve successfully fix the issue with my engine. It was an ignition issue affecting the engine. The distributor was not time right. I simply losses the bolt holding down the distributor and moved it left or right to adjust the timing. I did all this while the engine was running and WOW it made a difference. Engine is not running rough I’m idling really good and ones the engine settles at a nice 1,000 rpm and it runs smooth. Finally took the car for a nice cruise around the block.
Thanks again for all the help y’all.

huh. guess mine must be pretty close but I'm glad it runs great, post some vids on the channel of it driving

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock