20 pin Pontiac cassette player steering wheel controls by 1985 Fiero GT
Started on: 04-28-2024 09:25 PM
Replies: 4 (90 views)
Last post by: 1985 Fiero GT on 04-29-2024 12:53 PM
1985 Fiero GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have the pinout and functions of the separate connector for the steering wheel controls on the 90s ish Pontiac cassette player with eq, The one with the red display, 6 square buttons in the center, etc. I have mine wired with an aux cable, which also utilizes the 4th pin for an in dash mic, and play/pause/prev/next button (Accel on cruise control which I don't have) I would like if possible to wire the cruise on/off slider switch to turn the radio on/off, to have those 2 functions on that one slider, radio on/off, and the phone control button. I just don't know if the steering wheel controls have an option for an on off slider, or only for separate momentary switches. If it does have an option for that type of switch, is it switched to ground or to +12v, as the cruise control stalk uses a common source for all 3 switches, and that needs to be ground for my mic/phone button.

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

Does anyone have the pinout and functions of the separate connector for the steering wheel controls on the 90s ish Pontiac cassette player with eq, The one with the red display, 6 square buttons in the center, etc. I have mine wired with an aux cable, which also utilizes the 4th pin for an in dash mic, and play/pause/prev/next button (Accel on cruise control which I don't have) I would like if possible to wire the cruise on/off slider switch to turn the radio on/off, to have those 2 functions on that one slider, radio on/off, and the phone control button. I just don't know if the steering wheel controls have an option for an on off slider, or only for separate momentary switches. If it does have an option for that type of switch, is it switched to ground or to +12v, as the cruise control stalk uses a common source for all 3 switches, and that needs to be ground for my mic/phone button.

Thanks!

Are you talking about the Pontiac 6000 STE steering wheel? The one with the dozens of buttons on it for cruise, radio, and HVAC controls?

Knowing the car it came from would probably help you find a wiring diagram. If that's the one you're talking about, you can then search for the service manual for it. I just did a quick search, but came up with some AI-written articles that were basically crap.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Are you talking about the Pontiac 6000 STE steering wheel? The one with the dozens of buttons on it for cruise, radio, and HVAC controls?

Knowing the car it came from would probably help you find a wiring diagram. If that's the one you're talking about, you can then search for the service manual for it. I just did a quick search, but came up with some AI-written articles that were basically crap.

I don't specifically know which car, I think it was a "universal connection" present in that generation/style of gm/Pontiac radio whether utilized or not, different cars had different controls/options, my dad's 93 grand prix has an older style radio, but has the steering wheel controls to.
mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I worked on this project in 2011 for a full year. I found a gm engineer and how it was built they never worked correctly when they were produced. The trim ring used a hall effect sensor to move the data from the steering wheel to the column. I did try to bypass it and use a newer steering wheel cam used by an air bag setup but still could never get it to work correctly. The other big thing is it needs to be the exact horn controls and radio from the same car and there is an interface module in the middle as well. These always were a point of failure. They programmed something in the chip in the radio and not all of those type of radios had the steering wheel control functionality. I don't want to move you away from trying to get it to work but i think it's just not worth it. I was even looking at using an aftermarket module to still use those steering wheel controls but could not get it to send a signal the module would recognize without going completely deeper and getting an oscilloscope and going through that process. I had modules from a 89 firebird, 6000 ste, and the grand prix gtp. They all had different part numbers. I spend over $400 probably trying to get this to work and it all ended up in the trash and many hours pulling my hair out. I ended up going with the controls from a 06 corvette.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-29-2024 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mmeyer86gt/gtp:

I worked on this project in 2011 for a full year. I found a gm engineer and how it was built they never worked correctly when they were produced. The trim ring used a hall effect sensor to move the data from the steering wheel to the column. I did try to bypass it and use a newer steering wheel cam used by an air bag setup but still could never get it to work correctly. The other big thing is it needs to be the exact horn controls and radio from the same car and there is an interface module in the middle as well. These always were a point of failure. They programmed something in the chip in the radio and not all of those type of radios had the steering wheel control functionality. I don't want to move you away from trying to get it to work but i think it's just not worth it. I was even looking at using an aftermarket module to still use those steering wheel controls but could not get it to send a signal the module would recognize without going completely deeper and getting an oscilloscope and going through that process. I had modules from a 89 firebird, 6000 ste, and the grand prix gtp. They all had different part numbers. I spend over $400 probably trying to get this to work and it all ended up in the trash and many hours pulling my hair out. I ended up going with the controls from a 06 corvette.

Ok, that's fine then, I was under the impression that they were simple switches wired directly to the radio, where the compute to place, if it's that complicated, theres no way I can do much

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock