Code 13, oxygen sensor circuit, TPS??? by Jason88Notchie
Started on: 04-27-2024 01:10 PM
Replies: 11 (123 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 05-07-2024 12:40 AM
Jason88Notchie

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without getting into a long winded question. What does TPS have to do with setting a 13 and not a 21 or 22 if TPS bad or maladjusted?

Gone through a few o2 sensors. Connections seem good. Main grounds are good. Still code 13. I'd like to isolate the code 13 and not mess with TPS at all if I can.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Duke or V-6?
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Duke or V-6?

Sorry. 2.8. 88 Formula. All stock. All wiring is hooked up as it should from factory. No mods or rigging.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From the 88 FSM

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 05:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you. 88 FSM. Of course I can't locate mine at the moment. And Chiltons is **** . This will help alot.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You are very welcome.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting to work. Going to use old o2 sensor wire as a jumper to ground on the 412. Already has connector. Plan on connecting to the drivers side deck lid hinge. Enough wire to reach. Cleaning harness plug to ECM. Checking continuity through the connectors d7 and d6. This should be a safe way to rule out wiring issue.

If all goes well with wiring I'll scan the voltage with engine running and should scan below .2 volts. If so I'll go buy my 3rd o2 sensor.

Comments are welcome. I'm very much no pro at this by any means. Pics show literature and tools I think I will need.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You already have multiple O2 "dead" causing same DTC 13 then Not bad sensors.
Is wiring or iffy ECM.

Sensor Generate 0-1V & easy to mess up doing bad testing or just have iffy wires. Plus Sensor needs 600+°F just to start to run.

Cancel your "test" above & clean/fix all "grounds" in engine bay @ minimum & coat w/ silicone or brake grease.
That tan "ground" is actually Return wire for O2 sensor.

car side of plug to O2 may also be "bad" & fail to connect right. You need weather pack tool to release the core w/o doing more damage. Problem is even the tool have hard time to release when metal socket side is "wallowed out" so tool tube won't fit on it.

see https://web.archive.org/web...ocave/ecmwire_wp.htm etc.

If have a ECM scanner, look at rich/lean & O2 volts. Both with change value & often more so w/ O2 volts.

TPS often has Nothing to do w/ O2 "errors." Iffy fuel pressure, injector(s) & more often cause 44 or 45 but not 13.
Example: plugged fuel return for any reason = high pressure = often cause 45 & may only @/near idle. on a scanner can see rich/lean & O2 volt stay pegged rich/high.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ogre,

This test is taking the o2 sensor out. Disconnected.

Jumper to ground the 412 CKT. The wire to o2 sensor. The 32 pin plug is removed from ECM and cleaned up. Set the DVM to ohms. On the plug, red lead in D7 and black lead in D6 which is wire 413 going to engine ground. Should read close to 0 ohms if good. If not check for faulty connectors and clean up engine ground where 413 is connected.

This test is to rule out bad wiring or connection.

Battery disconnected before process started.

Inexperienced with a DVM among many things. Still learning. Does this process sound solid for testing just the wiring?

Thanks OGRE for posting all that information. I have lots of digging.
Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Jason88Notchie

1717 posts
Member since Oct 2009
This pic is from the 85 FSM. Shows the 32 pin connector in the same diagram. Diagram is same as 88.

Jason88Notchie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-06-2024 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason88NotchieSend a Private Message to Jason88NotchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Getting going on the wiring test, I needed to make sure the 412 connector (plugs into o2 sensor) was clean. Was hard to get a good look with where It was. So I took my phone and shot a close up pic. Connector was shot. Corroded to hell.

That thing had to go. Trip to Autozone (20 mile away of course. No one else had it) got a new connector with good weather packing....thanks Ogre.

Spliced in the new connector. I used heat shrink butt connectors and taped for good measure. Tight to get hands in there so was a little pain.

Wiring test can wait! I'm hooking this ***** up! Reattached battery, and buttoned things up to run. Need to run car to normal operating temp for ECM to receive signal from o2 sensor. Hooked up my scanner and started reading telemetry.

Pics are showing the transition of the sensor data. Not sure how to insert video.

And the one piece of data I've been wanting to see:

I was ready to toss everything I had at correcting this issue. In the end it was a stupid corroded connector. Thanks to Ogre and olejoedad for helping get this issue resolved. And I think Ogre knew exactly where this was going, pointing out the weather pack connectors.

So now I can move onto replacing the converter. Was thinking on straight piping it but Patrick would get really grumpy with me. So I thought better of it.

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2024 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

Not sure how to insert video.

Link to it after uploading it to YouTube. To embed it in your post... [youtube]the URL from the browser[/youtube]

Originally posted by Jason88Notchie:

So now I can move onto replacing the converter. Was thinking on straight piping it but Patrick would get really grumpy with me. So I thought better of it.

It's The Ogre who gets "grumpy". I'd just politely say you should know better.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock