84 body and engine work by cartercarbaficionado
Started on: 04-26-2024 03:10 AM
Replies: 19 (183 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 05-05-2024 09:53 AM
cartercarbaficionado

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
started work on this thing by repairing some smashed areas on the decklid and doing filler on the smc panels will post pics later of minimum effort bodywork that's really just to look better than the holes, anyways I was taking a break and cleaning up when I noticed my iron duke block has a big T and 4 stamped near the dist hole and I'm not honestly sure what year the shortblock is even out of and I'm curious on if I don't have to do a cam break in
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cartercarbaficionado:

started work on this thing by repairing some smashed areas on the decklid and doing filler on the smc panels will post pics later of minimum effort bodywork that's really just to look better than the holes, anyways I was taking a break and cleaning up when I noticed my iron duke block has a big T and 4 stamped near the dist hole and I'm not honestly sure what year the shortblock is even out of and I'm curious on if I don't have to do a cam break in

Hi, the big "T" is normal... my daughter's 85 has that too.

Super easy-way to tell if you have a roller cam and lifters is to remove the lifter galley plate (directly under the intake manifold). If you see roller lifters (which would be denoted by the brackets that hold them at a 90 degree angle), then you have a roller cam, and a "cam break-in" is not necessary. You can just get in and drive. I'd take it easy for the first few hundred miles though (if this is a rebuilt motor), as you want the bearings and everything else to seat properly.

This is a video my daughter tool when she was removing her intake manifold, and wanted to check to see if she had roller lifters (which you see at the end):

Near the very end of the video, she removes the plate, and you can see the little brackets that hold two lifters together at a time. This denotes (easily) that you have a roller cam. If the lifters don't have this, then they're just flat-tappet, and you will need a cam breakin.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
Hi, the big "T" is normal... my daughter's 85 has that too.

Super easy-way to tell if you have a roller cam and lifters is to remove the lifter galley plate (directly under the intake manifold). If you see roller lifters (which would be denoted by the brackets that hold them at a 90 degree angle), then you have a roller cam, and a "cam break-in" is not necessary. You can just get in and drive. I'd take it easy for the first few hundred miles though (if this is a rebuilt motor), as you want the bearings and everything else to seat properly.

This is a video my daughter tool when she was removing her intake manifold, and wanted to check to see if she had roller lifters (which you see at the end):

Near the very end of the video, she removes the plate, and you can see the little brackets that hold two lifters together at a time. This denotes (easily) that you have a roller cam. If the lifters don't have this, then they're just flat-tappet, and you will need a cam breakin.

then it is a early 85 block with no roller lifters and I'll need to do a cam break in and 5 oil changes before 300 miles are up
appreciate the help provided
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

then it is a early 85 block with no roller lifters and I'll need to do a cam break in and 5 oil changes before 300 miles are up
appreciate the help provided

If you're really concerned, they also sell "cam saver" lifters now which either have a small hole drilled in the bottom, or a little groove notched in the side (below the oil relief) so that it shoots oil directly onto the cam lobe, rather than it just splashing up. I think it was Sleek Fiero that turned me on to these, and you can order them in all sizes and configurations.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-26-2024).]

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
low effort body work as promised, looks better than when I got it at least

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Man, that is a super cool little Fiero. What's the story behind it again? Was this the barn-find one?

I love the 13" PMD turbo-fin wheels. They are actually quite rare, but really cool in my opinion.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Man, that is a super cool little Fiero. What's the story behind it again? Was this the barn-find one?

I love the 13" PMD turbo-fin wheels. They are actually quite rare, but really cool in my opinion.

its a 84 fiero with and iron duke and a 3 speed auto. it's anything but cool tbh. I like my friends 88 formula much more and hopefully I get to save a 88 gt soon for myself

story is I bought it off a guy in Oregon for a buddy and it had a title and completely seized engine that had sat without a head since the 90s,so we set to work smashing the pistons to bits to remove the converter bolts to pull the motor and we got it out started assembling the new motor and it stalled for close to a year so while we wait on parts might as well make it look nice since it was very very close to burning to the ground in the 90s when the engine blew the number 4 rod out of the block and caught on fire slightly but no damage done permanently at least,later it might get a 3.1l because it's easy to put in and definitely a 6 speed swap with some 88 suspension to dial in the handling
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

80 posts
Member since Sep 2023

I have quite a few gms as they are the cheapest in ok condition In my area and they drive nice. have had a few ford's (including a 72 econoline with a v8 out of a gt350 swapped into the i6 chassis that I legit could not drive due to the race clutch needing my 13 year old self to bend the pedal arm with the amount of force needed to make it move) also a 70 Westfallia I learned (and loved) to drive a stick in
also I specifically sought out these rims because they are extremely lightweight and look coolThis images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.[img]https://images.fiero.nl/userimages/cartercarbaficionado/20230809_192017.jpg [/img]
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh man, I have never seen anything like that before...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

So you had to bust out the pistons because the pistons were seized to the wall? Damn...
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Oh man, I have never seen anything like that before...

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

So you had to bust out the pistons because the pistons were seized to the wall? Damn...

oh yeah it took hours of drilling and 2 different air hammers before i asked my neighbor for his husky long bore that shredded it,had to pull the engine from the top since the subframe bolts were trying to bust off and I didn't have quite enough space to use fire or lift it out
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2024 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
found some pictures of this to show how far it's come, honestly don't have much but I think I'm saving it slowly but surely

[This message has been edited by cartercarbaficionado (edited 05-03-2024).]

PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2024 04:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey man, that's looking awesome!

Do you need the front corner lights? I believe I have the ones I took off my daughter's car. I ended up buying new ones, so I don't really need the old ones. They're still perfectly fine, they're just more yellow than they are amber. Let me know... I'll double check, but you can have them if you need them.

cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2024 06:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Hey man, that's looking awesome!

Do you need the front corner lights? I believe I have the ones I took off my daughter's car. I ended up buying new ones, so I don't really need the old ones. They're still perfectly fine, they're just more yellow than they are amber. Let me know... I'll double check, but you can have them if you need them.

these ones were yellow, I have 2 out of 4 I think? I'm hopefully gonna pick some up from a fiero member named Lucas in Portland along with quite a few parts im really hoping he has a luggage rack spoiler on a 2nd design decklid because apparently 84s have a recall on the vent and have to be modified..this car didnt actually run long enough to get any recall done, honestly though just doing the best I can to keep this....*ahem* pile on the road and just get it working safely and looking somewhat ok. really
just filling gouges and priming to prevent further issues
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

these ones were yellow, I have 2 out of 4 I think? I'm hopefully gonna pick some up from a fiero member named Lucas in Portland along with quite a few parts im really hoping he has a luggage rack spoiler on a 2nd design decklid because apparently 84s have a recall on the vent and have to be modified..this car didnt actually run long enough to get any recall done, honestly though just doing the best I can to keep this....*ahem* pile on the road and just get it working safely and looking somewhat ok. really
just filling gouges and priming to prevent further issues

Yeah, back ones are red. The front ones are supposed to be orange, but they fade to a light yellow after a few years.

Honestly, I think the car is super cool... the bumper-pad style Fieros are some of my favorites.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 01:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yeah, back ones are red. The front ones are supposed to be orange, but they fade to a light yellow after a few years.

Honestly, I think the car is super cool... the bumper-pad style Fieros are some of my favorites.

they are my favorite as well but definitely handle the worst but tend to not try to swing around during heavy hard cornering like an 88 will
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post05-04-2024 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

they are my favorite as well but definitely handle the worst but tend to not try to swing around during heavy hard cornering like an 88 will

The early Fieros push due to the suspension geometry.
The 88s handle a ton better.

I had an 86 SE with all of the suspension upgrades one can do. Handled better than any stock Fiero.
My stock Formula handles better than the modded 86, and rides better as well.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The early Fieros push due to the suspension geometry.
The 88s handle a ton better.

I had an 86 SE with all of the suspension upgrades one can do. Handled better than any stock Fiero.
My stock Formula handles better than the modded 86, and rides better as well.

yeah I noticed that the 88 formula tends to oversteer aggressively off throttle so I'm gonna give it some suspension love besides the brand new poly bushings the previous owner put on day before we picked up the car because it had a oem bushing tear apart during one of his drives
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 01:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

80 posts
Member since Sep 2023
got a deal on some engine and a few body panels, gonna get more as soon as my truck isnt..losing both headgaskets
anywho. I put some of the panels back on with new tail lights that I got for 20 bucks and spent time polishing and waxing and it reminds me how terrible the rest looks but it'll look better soon and have some factory option it didnt come with. manual swap and v6 maybe next year
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 02:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

cartercarbaficionado

80 posts
Member since Sep 2023
OH also saw a few intact v6s and I'm 90 percent sure I got a Dawg mod v6 in my 88 and I think I found one in one of the parts cars so I'll try to get that one. also saw a gt I really want and hopefully get as it's an 87 with v6 that has no rust shattered tail lights (oh well) and a mostly complete interior he will let me complete before purchase plus it's a 5 speed
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2024 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

got a deal on some engine and a few body panels, gonna get more as soon as my truck isnt..losing both headgaskets
anywho. I put some of the panels back on with new tail lights that I got for 20 bucks and spent time polishing and waxing and it reminds me how terrible the rest looks but it'll look better soon and have some factory option it didnt come with. manual swap and v6 maybe next year

Looking good!!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock