Air Canister Missing Parts by Wacko1Jacko12
Started on: 04-23-2024 12:37 PM
Replies: 13 (147 views)
Last post by: cartercarbaficionado on 04-26-2024 02:33 PM
Wacko1Jacko12

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wacko1Jacko12Send a Private Message to Wacko1Jacko12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 1988 Fiero Formula V6 2.8L, I am trying to put everything back together, the previous owner took out a lot of items. I ordered an air canister (along with its bracket/ lid). I soldered back the MAT sensor as well since he cut it for some reason. There is a tube that connects to the air canister, I am not sure where it leads since it was taken out. This tube was mounted to the engine bay wall. Where does this lead to?

What is highlighted in red in the image is what I am missing:

My Engine Bay:
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 01:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wacko1Jacko12:

There is a tube that connects to the air canister, I am not sure where it leads since it was taken out. This tube was mounted to the engine bay wall. Where does this lead to?

As of a recall decades ago, that tube is no longer used. Make sure to plug the hole for it in the air filter canister. However, there was also a smaller tube running along the firewall that supplied air from below the air filter canister to the EGR valve solenoid. I can't tell for sure from your image whether it's still there or not. I suspect it's not. You can see it in your first image.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-23-2024).]

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes that big tube is nothing to miss, interestingly enough, my air filter canister doesn't have a hole for that tube, it isn't just plugged, it just doesn't have the hole.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 02:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Read this thread:

90 Fiero Recall: '85-'88 2.8L V6 (RPO L44) GM Campaign 88-C-24 w/ Part Illustrations
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/147137.html

BTW - The PFF 'Search' function is your best source.......

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

...interestingly enough, my air filter canister doesn't have a hole for that tube, it isn't just plugged, it just doesn't have the hole.

Yes, that is interesting. I never knew that these air filter canisters were ever manufactured without the hole. I forget what year the recall was made, but if it was after '88 (see above, it was '90), I would suspect then that any canister without the hole was a replacement canister and not the original.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-23-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 04:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Yes, that is interesting. I never knew that these air filter canisters were ever manufactured without the hole. I forget what year the recall was made, but if it was after '88 (see above, it was '90), I would suspect then that any canister without the hole was a replacement canister and not the original.

There were several GM cars that used a nearly-similar air cleaner / canister as the V6 Fiero. Pretty much a bunch of V6/60 engines in early MPFI cars like the Cutlass Sierra, or Grand Am, or whatever. There was even a car, maybe it was the Baretta GT (?), but it had a special air canister lid that fits the Fiero's V6 canister, but the center of the lid is totally open, allowing additional air in. It has three thick bars that span across holding a cyl that goes around the long dowel where you attach the hold-down nut. I'll have to take a picture, but it's pretty cool. It even has a small "cap" that goes over the top to prevent rain from getting in. I don't remember the application, but I guess it was to provide air in addition to where it would come in from the other way. It was part of some kind of vacuum operated system where if you floored it or whatever, it would open this other door (in the hood) and allow air in through the top as well.

I guess kind of pointless as it would allow hot air from the engine vent into the engine... but maybe at speed there wouldn't be as much hot air in there?
Wacko1Jacko12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 07:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wacko1Jacko12Send a Private Message to Wacko1Jacko12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

As of a recall decades ago, that tube is no longer used. Make sure to plug the hole for it in the air filter canister. However, there was also a smaller tube running along the firewall that supplied air from below the air filter canister to the EGR valve solenoid. I can't tell for sure from your image whether it's still there or not. I suspect it's not. You can see it in your first image.

Thank you will do! The previous first image was from a YouTube video I was referencing, the second image is my vehicle. I believe the owner before me did a egr delete, plus he deleted the solenoid for it, that would explain the smaller tube missing. This might lead to a second topic, would I need to worry about this egr/solenoid delete I had my engine tuned by a shop with this stuff off as well with having a poor/cheap ebay air intake because the original was missing.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

...would I need to worry about this egr/solenoid delete I had my engine tuned by a shop with this stuff off

That would depend on what was "tuned". Did they actually burn a new PROM with the EGR deleted?
Wacko1Jacko12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wacko1Jacko12Send a Private Message to Wacko1Jacko12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That would depend on what was "tuned". Did they actually burn a new PROM with the EGR deleted?

They did not burn a new PROM, would it be easier to put the EGR and its solenoid back in?

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

They did not burn a new PROM, would it be easier to put the EGR and its solenoid back in?

"Easier"? That's doubtful. I'm a believer in having a properly functioning EGR system... but considering what you've currently got there, I'd think getting an EGR delete PROM burned would be a whole lot simpler for you. If that's the route you decide to go, there are members here who offer the service.
Wacko1Jacko12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 08:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wacko1Jacko12Send a Private Message to Wacko1Jacko12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

"Easier"? That's doubtful. I'm a believer in having a properly functioning EGR system... but considering what you've currently got there, I'd think getting an EGR delete PROM burned would be a whole lot simpler for you. If that's the route you decide to go, there are members here who offer the service.

I am new to forum is there a member you recommend or point me in the right direction, thank you!

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2024 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's someone in Canada that I'm familiar with... but since you're in the States, it would probably be simpler/cheaper shipping-wise to have it done in the US. There's one suggestion in This thread.
Wacko1Jacko12

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wacko1Jacko12Send a Private Message to Wacko1Jacko12Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

There's someone in Canada that I'm familiar with... but since you're in the States, it would probably be simpler/cheaper shipping-wise to have it done in the US. There's one suggestion in This thread.

Thank you for the suggestion, I sent (PhoneDawgz) a private message and email, have not heard back from him yet. Worst case scenario is there a document providing details, I am somewhat familiar with programming microcontroller chips (well did it once), I am lazy though haha.
cartercarbaficionado

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2024 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cartercarbaficionadoSend a Private Message to cartercarbaficionadoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thank you for the suggestion, I sent (PhoneDawgz) a private message and email, have not heard back from him yet. Worst case scenario is there a document providing details, I am somewhat familiar with programming microcontroller chips (well did it once), I am lazy though haha.

contact sinister performance and ask if they deliver to Canada as they can make a whole new prom chip, I had them make me a tune for a built 3.1l that I didn't end up getting to drive
http://www.gmtuners.com/

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock