Started on: 04-22-2024 07:48 AM
Replies: 5 (89 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-28-2024 11:26 AM
cam-a-lot

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello

I was trying to find an old thread about adding an amplifier and how the wiring should look? I know very little about wiring/stereo etc

This is a Pontiac Firebird radio , looks like a Monsoon unit. I have factory sub woofer and want to add an amp and swap the speakers to ones purchased from Rodney

Can someone please help me if you happen to have a wiring schematic for how this should work? Not sure if there is some kind of "crossover" inside these units, or if the amp just goes to powering the sub woofer?

Sorry- very new to this

thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 08:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Some of this "might" help. It has a few pictures... it's an old website I designed in Notepad like 20 years ago, so I apologize... some of the image links are broken because I went from a Windows host to a Linux host and it's case-sensitive. But lots of good info still there.

https://www.pontiacperforma...roSE_Electrical.html

lou_dias

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The issue is the factory amp uses the power antenna wire for power. You need to cut that wire and splice in switched 12v power.... Most people just splice it in with the normal 12v switched power already on the harness.
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-22-2024 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Great info- thx!
cam-a-lot

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cam-a-lotSend a Private Message to cam-a-lotEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello.

Was able to install the Bluetooth equipped monsoon radio. Seems to work fine

Under the current setup, it seems like bass/treble/ etc are going to all speakers so it doesn't sound great

Does anyone know if there is a way to separate/direct bass only to the sub, some kind of "crossover"? I believe this is what they were called . Have no current knowledge of car audio, so my terminology may be very much out of date

Just looking for a way to keep factory looking stereo, but have better quality sound

I think someone had replacements for the 4x10 speakers that instead used 2 speakers in each spot, one for mid and one for treble?

[This message has been edited by cam-a-lot (edited 04-28-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 11:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cam-a-lot:

Hello.

Was able to install the Bluetooth equipped monsoon radio. Seems to work fine

Under the current setup, it seems like bass/treble/ etc are going to all speakers so it doesn't sound great

Does anyone know if there is a way to separate/direct bass only to the sub, some kind of "crossover"? I believe this is what they were called . Have no current knowledge of car audio, so my terminology may be very much out of date

Just looking for a way to keep factory looking stereo, but have better quality sound

I think someone had replacements for the 4x10 speakers that instead used 2 speakers in each spot, one for mid and one for treble?

Hi Cam-a-Lot, I can't remember what it's called, but I installed a 1000+ watt amplifyer system on a stock MP3 radio, with a stock subwoofer enclosure, on my 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX-P74.

Once again... it's an old as crap website, and half the pictures are broken. They're there, you just need to change the .jpg to .JPG in the URL if you want to see them. The whole thing about Linux being case-sensitive, and me designing it originally for a Windows-hosted system. But in there I have an MTX-EQ5 or something... I forget, you'll see....

https://www.pontiacperforma..._Stereo_Install.html

The problem is that in factory stereo systems... even fancy ones, they intentionally limit the base so as not to destroy the speakers. I don't really know my stereo stuff, but I did my homework when I did this back in the day and got a lot of advice from stereo gurus. Basically, I bought a device that finds (and separates) out the high and low frequencies from the stereo's output, and gives you dedicated subwoofer, mid-range, and treble outputs.

It's funny... because the stereo looks totally stock, and all the amps and everything are hidden behind the spare tire, but the sound is absolutely amazing. You know... for all of the 5 miles I actually drive that car per year, and when it's not just sitting in the garage.

I went all out, got MB-Quart speakers... before they got bought out, so the seriously high quality ones. All four speakers in the car are top of the line MB-Quarts, with the subwoofer being an MTX (which is not bad at all).

Anyway, obviously you don't have a Crown Victoria... but you'll want to get that same device. I'm sure they sell smaller / better ones now too.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 04-28-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock