Sharkfin antennas by PKFieroGT
Started on: 04-13-2024 12:35 AM
Replies: 6 (229 views)
Last post by: PKFieroGT on 04-20-2024 11:16 PM
PKFieroGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PKFieroGTSend a Private Message to PKFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally bit the bullet, and upgraded from my 2000 era Pontiac Stock radio (CD Player/5 band EQ from a 2000 Grand Am) to something more modern. I found I was really missing the modern convieniences on long trips like being able to make Phone calls, Blutooth from my phone my playlists and being able to see a larger Map than just my phone screen. Yeah, I know there's guy who puts BT tech into these old radios, but I'm in Canada and the shipping is almost the same cost as what he sells the radios for, so that's a full stop there.

I bought an Android \based touchscreen off of Amazon that's 'close' to fitting in the original 1.5 DIN slot . I had to trim the faceplate and a bit of the surround, as well as the actual radio mouning points to get it to fit. I've paired it up with a Monsoon AMP I got from a Buick Allure from a Wrecker PIck-and-Pull, and it sounds pretty decent. My only issue is my radio reception is lousy. It wasn't the greatest when I had the Stock GM radio from the GRand Am in either, as I moved my antenna up inside the passenger side A piller (I didn't llike the original mounting and wanted to hide it).

Now, I know about the issues with placing the antenna up the A pillar as it's most likely grounding the mast back to the car frame etc... SO I'm thinking a different route.

What about a modern 'Sharkfin' style roof antenna most cars since 2010 have used? Has anybody done this? WHat re the challenges other having to drill a hole in the roof. Curious as to the expanded capabilities some of these Sharkfin antennas can do (GPS/Sirius XM etc)

Do you think it'll look dorky on a Fiero?

I was originally thinking of trying to keep the car 'period specific' and try to keep as much of the original look and feel as a PONTIAC product, but the car is already swapped to a 3800 Series II SC, so really, what's the point?? lol

Anybody have any experience with installing one of the Sharkfins? How's the radio reception?

I have one on my daily driver Jeep, and it works great for FM and AM... so now I'm just exporing this for my Fiero.

Thanks in advance! Cheers

------------------
PK
I should join a club and beat you over the head with it!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 05:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand, the shark fin antennas do nothing but satellite radio, GPS, maybe cellular of your car has "wifi" the actual radio antenna is integrated into the rear window defroster filaments, and it doesn't give very good reception either.
One thing you could do to hide the antenna and still have great reception is a retractable antenna, you are definitely able to do it by repositioning the antenna hole, and I think (never tested) that a "remote mount retractable antenna" (motor mounted elsewhere, only the retracted antenna directly under hole) would work in the factory location.

[This message has been edited by 1985 Fiero GT (edited 04-13-2024).]

hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have achieved reasonable resolution of the antenna/reception issues on my cars in a couple of ways. The easiest is to relocate the OEM antenna above the wheel well and then plug the original antenna hole. I have also used a remote power antenna installed in the engine compartment area and then plug the old antenna hole. Both locations give reasonable sound quality but you should note that none of my radios are OEM.

Nelson
kendell

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2024 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kendellSend a Private Message to kendellEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I have achieved reasonable resolution of the antenna/reception issues on my cars in a couple of ways. The easiest is to relocate the OEM antenna above the wheel well and then plug the original antenna hole. I have also used a remote power antenna installed in the engine compartment area and then plug the old antenna hole. Both locations give reasonable sound quality but you should note that none of my radios are OEM.

Nelson

That's the best place to install the new antenna.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2024 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PKFieroGT:

I finally bit the bullet, and upgraded from my 2000 era Pontiac Stock radio (CD Player/5 band EQ from a 2000 Grand Am) to something more modern. I found I was really missing the modern convieniences on long trips like being able to make Phone calls, Blutooth from my phone my playlists and being able to see a larger Map than just my phone screen. Yeah, I know there's guy who puts BT tech into these old radios, but I'm in Canada and the shipping is almost the same cost as what he sells the radios for, so that's a full stop there.

I bought an Android \based touchscreen off of Amazon that's 'close' to fitting in the original 1.5 DIN slot . I had to trim the faceplate and a bit of the surround, as well as the actual radio mouning points to get it to fit. I've paired it up with a Monsoon AMP I got from a Buick Allure from a Wrecker PIck-and-Pull, and it sounds pretty decent. My only issue is my radio reception is lousy. It wasn't the greatest when I had the Stock GM radio from the GRand Am in either, as I moved my antenna up inside the passenger side A piller (I didn't llike the original mounting and wanted to hide it).

Now, I know about the issues with placing the antenna up the A pillar as it's most likely grounding the mast back to the car frame etc... SO I'm thinking a different route.

What about a modern 'Sharkfin' style roof antenna most cars since 2010 have used? Has anybody done this? WHat re the challenges other having to drill a hole in the roof. Curious as to the expanded capabilities some of these Sharkfin antennas can do (GPS/Sirius XM etc)

Do you think it'll look dorky on a Fiero?

I was originally thinking of trying to keep the car 'period specific' and try to keep as much of the original look and feel as a PONTIAC product, but the car is already swapped to a 3800 Series II SC, so really, what's the point?? lol

Anybody have any experience with installing one of the Sharkfins? How's the radio reception?

I have one on my daily driver Jeep, and it works great for FM and AM... so now I'm just exporing this for my Fiero.

Thanks in advance! Cheers

My personal opinion, I like to keep things stock, but I honestly think the "right" shark-fin antenna would look pretty nice on the roof of the Fiero. Obviously, it would need to be centered and mounted in the panel that's directly behind where the sunroof would go (centered between the drop-off and the seam).

But yeah, the shark-fin is usually used for GPS, Sirius/XM, and cellular. They sell them on AliExpress that have all the connections and wiring (which is where they come from anyway). But if you only want, say... GPS, or just Sirius/XM, then you can use a different one. I am not aware that any of them replace the actual AM/FM antennae though, so this would be in addition. Most new cars have the antenna built into the windshield.

But yeah, I think it would look OK... you'd just need to find one that goes with it. As far as installation, I don't see any issues. You'd literally just drill two holes straight through the top (after measuring like 6 times), and the shark-fin should have a gasket that properly seals it. You'd just run the wiring down one of the B-pillars back to your head-unit.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by PKFieroGT:

Now, I know about the issues with placing the antenna up the A pillar as it's most likely grounding the mast back to the car frame etc... SO I'm thinking a different route. ....
You Remove the Mast only then attach insulated wire to the stud run under the fender w/ rest stuff under the windshield plastic trim up the A pillar to hide the antenna. I & Many others do that for decades & not only Fiero & work well. Many do that to prevent vandals etc breaking them or after same happened.

Factory Shark fins are multi band units not just AM FM. Aftermarket ones can be anything or only AM FM.
Some Car Makers use tiny "rubber" whips on roof that often easy to remove when needed.
Either way on Fiero is a target to break off because car just so low.

Most to all expect to mount on sheet metal & have hard time w/ Glass/plastic + car frame just under that. Worse If Fiero has Sun Roof &/or 86 or later so have High Brake Light... Way harder because have to work around them etc to mount any antenna.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

PKFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2024 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKFieroGTSend a Private Message to PKFieroGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks all for the advice... I'm still a bit stumped though, as I currently have my antenna up the 'A' Pillar on the passenger side, yet I get NO FM or AM recpetion with my new radio.

I don't want to drill holes in my roof just to try a Sharkfin, then find out it's bogus. Yeah, I know I can temporarily hook it up as well to test it...just don't know if I want to go through the bother...

Cheers, and thanks again!

PK

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock