Sbc getrag clutch alignment tool by Tappy350
Started on: 04-13-2024 12:05 AM
Replies: 8 (106 views)
Last post by: Tappy350 on 04-18-2024 11:00 AM
Tappy350

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 12:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tappy350Send a Private Message to Tappy350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know the part number or where to get an alignment tool for a getrag/sbc clutch.
Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tappy350:

Does anyone know the part number or where to get an alignment tool for a getrag/sbc clutch.
Thanks

You use the alignment tool for the trans / clutch set and do your best to center it.
Tappy350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 08:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tappy350Send a Private Message to Tappy350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ya that’s what I attempted last night and seems like I’m having trouble getting the trans to seat squarely on the dowels. Only thing that I can think of is that I’m not gettin the the clutch lined up perfect. I feel like I had a tool that fit the sbc pilot hole at one point.
Thanks again.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 10:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
In my '88 GM Service Manual: In Section 7C-8 / Hydraulic Clutch
Lists Kent Moore part number J-29074 as "Clutch Alignment Arbor"

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Is the end of the clutch alignment tool that came with the clutch too small or too big on the pilot bushing end?

If it is too small, wrap black electrical tape on it to build it up.

If it is too big, then you might try a parts store to find one that is smaller.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

fieroguru

12128 posts
Member since Aug 2003
Once the pressure plate barely makes contact with the clutch disk (only enough to hold it in place), you can use the edge of the flywheel to the edge of the clutch disk and verify it is centered, or if it is off. If off you can lightly tap it into position and reverify before fully tightening the pressure plate.
Tappy350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tappy350Send a Private Message to Tappy350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The end is too big. I’m going to run to a few parts stores and try to find one with a smaller end but the pet stores around here are not very accommodating with the year/make/model story. If not I’ll be trying it by eye and then calling spec clutches at a last resort.
Thanks
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-13-2024 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have you tried removing the SBC pilot bushing? That will give you a larger hole, but might be too big (larger than the splines).

Tappy350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-18-2024 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tappy350Send a Private Message to Tappy350Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ended up snugging the pressure plate down so I could barely move it around with the alignment tool. Then took calipers and adjusted until it seemed centered before torquing the plate down. Trans slipped in fine. Thanks for the tips everyone.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock