Wiring Harness problem by Cailibird
Started on: 04-11-2024 10:20 AM
Replies: 28 (275 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 04-21-2024 09:25 AM
Cailibird

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey there I'm having a problem with certain circuits not recieving power. Specifically:

J7 H6 H7 F7 F8 F9 E1 E2 C1 C3 A1

I'm not sure why they aren't receiving power. And im still VERY new to working on cars and I need some help. Do I need to do some rewiring? Do I need to change the harness? What exactly do you guys think the problem could be?

Any help is appreciated
I just want to be able to drive my car again
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Year, Engine, etc?
WTF Plug are you seeing a problem?

No power to Many circuits can be many things... Fuse, fusible links, some switches, etc.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can only surmise he is talking about the C500 connector.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Oh my bad. I forgot to give more details. I haven't been home the past few days but I'll be home tomorrow evening and I'll post a picture.

But it's a 1988 4cyl. Just the standard edition. And the plug im talking about is that little box right next to the battery in the back

Tomorrow evening I'll send you a picture of the harness I'm talking about
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2024 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cailibird

28 posts
Member since Apr 2024

Originally posted by olejoedad:

I can only surmise he is talking about the C500 connector.

Yeah that one
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most of the terminals you listed only have power on an intermittent basis.

If you could describe the problems your car is experiencing, perhaps we can give you some guidance.

Here is a listing of what the C500 has....

Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Essentially. The car cranks but won't start.
We thought it was the alternator so that has been replaced. But even after replacing it the car wont start up. And after checking the C500 we found that a lot of the wires aren't getting power. Both at idle and while trying to crank the car.
I've stated which ones aren't getting power which would be

J7 H6 H7 F7 F8 F9 E1 E2 C1 C3 A1

So the car isn't recieving spark in the plugs. So I'm now starting to think it would be the coil pack has gone bad. And we checked the PCM or whatever that thing in between the seats behind the glove box is. And there is a Brown/Black wire that also isn't getting any power both while at idle and while cranking the car.

By "idle" I just mean with the ignition on.

Idk if that helps clear up what could be going on or not
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most all of the wires you mentioned do not have power unless that particular circuit is turned on.

Forget about them for now.

Did you test all of your fuses?

When you turn the key on, do you hear a click from behind you head, or the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
Do you smell fuel at the throttle body?
If you spray some starting fluid into the throttle body when cranking does the engine fire?

If you pull a spark plug and hook it to the plug wire, then lay the plug on the engine and crank it do you see spark?
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 04:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes yes and idk. I'll try the starting fluid thing. But yes there is also a spark. It just won't crank. Here give me about an hour and I'll try spraying that fluid to see if the engine fires
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When you say 'it won't crank' does that mean the starter isn't turning the engine over?
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the engine with turn over. But it just won't fully "run" if that makes sense
PFF
System Bot
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cailibird

28 posts
Member since Apr 2024

Originally posted by Cailibird:

Yeah the engine with turn over. But it just won't fully "run" if that makes sense

Sorry. I'm not the best at giving details. But yeah it cranks. Turns over. It'll attempt to start but it won't fully get there
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like the fuel pump. Try spraying starting fluid in the throttle body while having someone crank the car. My guess is it will fire.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What led up to the current situation?
Has the car set for a while, did it happen while driving, did it happen suddenly or gradually?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 08:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The car cranks but won't start.
We thought it was the alternator so that has been replaced. But even after replacing it the car wont start up.

How did you come to that conclusion?

So the car isn't recieving spark in the plugs.

But yes there is also a spark. It just won't crank.

But yeah it cranks.

???

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-12-2024).]

Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Forget the starting fluid, it's not going to magically fix you're issue.

Please confirm
Does engine rotate when trying to start.
Did you verify the spark plug has good spark?

Once we clarify the symptoms we might be able to point you in the direction of what the cause is.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer the questions. Number 1.
It happened suddenly. I got home from my girls house and the next morning it just wouldn't start

Number 2.
Its not the fuel pump, you can hear it start when you turn the ignition on

Number 3.
Yes the engine will turn over. I checked the spark the other day and there was spark. But I haven't been able to look today. I won't be able to get to it until Sunday again. And then I'll be able to confirm again.
But as of the last time I checked. Yes there's spark.

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stingray92:

Forget the starting fluid, it's not going to magically fix you're issue.

Please confirm
Does engine rotate when trying to start.
Did you verify the spark plug has good spark?

Once we clarify the symptoms we might be able to point you in the direction of what the cause is.

No, it won't magically fix his issue, but it will tell if there is a fueling issue.
He has already confirmed that the engine cranks over and there is spark.

As the OP stated, he doesn't know much about cars, or how to explain things.
Did you read his entire posting?

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2024 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad

18077 posts
Member since May 2004
Let us know what you find out Sunday when you get back to the car.

You should be able to smell gas when you're cranking the engine and it doesn't start.
Pull the air filter off and you should see a spray of gas down into the throttle body.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah there's a gas smell. Confirmed
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Shoot it with some starting fluid and see if it fires.

If it doesn't, check to see if you have a GOOD spark.

Do you have a way to check fuel pressure?
Do you have a spark checker?
PFF
System Bot
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 01:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I tried that on Friday. It didn't do anything.
I might have a weak spark. I don't have a way to check those.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cailibird

28 posts
Member since Apr 2024

I tried that on Friday. It didn't do anything.
I might have a weak spark. I don't have a way to check those.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cailibird

28 posts
Member since Apr 2024
Pulled the plugs. No spark
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest pulling the coil packs/ignition control module that the coil packs mount to and replace the crankshaft position sensor. It's the tube that goes into the block under the ICM.
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2024 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright. I once again am going to be away from the car until Tuesday. I'll look to find another while I'm gone though. Thank you for being so helpful
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2024 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It was the crank position sensor. Just replaced it and it started on up. Thank you so much man
Cailibird

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2024 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CailibirdSend a Private Message to CailibirdEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cailibird

28 posts
Member since Apr 2024
The only thing in worried about now is that its blowing white smoke. But I replaced that head gasket already. And the oil looks fine. I'm hoping its because it sat for about a month and a half.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2024 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for the update.

Glad to help you with your problem.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock