Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Problems with clutch slipping in my 88 GT 5-speed, but is a new clutch, confused...

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Problems with clutch slipping in my 88 GT 5-speed, but is a new clutch, confused... by phils88GT
Started on: 04-06-2024 09:58 AM
Replies: 2 (60 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-06-2024 11:44 AM
phils88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phils88GTSend a Private Message to phils88GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I bought my 88 GT last year, and didn't really start driving it until about a month ago. It had a new clutch and slave cylinder installed by a shop that the previous owner had do it.

The problem I am having is that the clutch slips badly when you go to get on it, if even just to pass or anything more than say, half throttle. If I drive easy, it isn't a problem, and the weird part is, sometimes it doesn't even do it.

I know the clutch is a job, but not one I cannot do, but, it just bothers me that this is happening with a new clutch.

Other than just using the cheapest clutch he could, what could cause this? Even a cheap clutch should meet OE specs and at least hold on the stock 2.8 I would think. I could be wrong though. Is it possible that maybe if they didn't change the rear main seal that is could be slinging oil onto the clutch causing this?

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Phil
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem; My Slave cylinder was leaking- so I rebuilt it with RD's dual-seal kit....but I had a trouble getting the slave out of the car- the nut/fitting had been damaged by using a regular wrench back in 1999....struggled but got it done.

Car drove well- clutch slave worked good...But realized the clutch was slipping under hard throttle application....posted here and someone mentioned that the slave flex-line could be damaged....sure enough; I guess I pulled on the line while removing that nut, and the line was crimped- acted like a one-way valve so you could open the clutch- but it would not fully release....

Check under the frame-rail where the flex-line meets the hard-line...it may be crimped.

[This message has been edited by cvxjet (edited 04-06-2024).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Had the same problem as CVXJET in a 2008 Jeep Patriot 5-Speed that we had a few years ago. The clutch slave cyl was leaking... and leaked into the bell housing which of course, got on the clutch. First time I'd go drive it, it would slip... almost shudder as the clutch caught and then disengaged again. Frustrating. I never really had time to fix it, and eventually by the time I went to donate it in 2021, so much fluid had leaked out that I couldn't depress the clutch to get it in gear. The tow truck driver just used a winch to get it on the flatbed. Sold for ~$2,700 at auction... was a nice tax break. Haha... but yeah, it's such a pain. Hopefully yours is an easy fix.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock