Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Ok, what is missing here? McPherson Struts?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Ok, what is missing here? McPherson Struts? by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 04-05-2024 05:01 PM
Replies: 14 (207 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-08-2024 07:19 PM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm going crazy... we took this apart and didn't look, and I don't have my other Fiero here with which to compare. This is the top of the McPherson struts, that go under the strut tower in the rear of the Fiero. Can you guys tell me what's supposed to go over this hole? Before the jokes... I know the top of the shock goes through there and then you put a nut on it. BUT... is there anything that's supposed to go in between the nut and this rubber isolator (melded into the plate)? I mean, is there a dished washer or something? I can't remember what my daughter took off here. I can't seem to find any pictures on the internet that are closeups of this.

I have the replacement "plates"... they're definitely different... not large circles but actually more molded to the spring "caps" that sit underneath them. Maybe that's better, I don't know. But I'm concerned that essentially, the only thing holding the "upper" part of the rear suspension to the car is essentially just one nut that goes over a rubber isolator. I realize there's three nuts that hold the top of the spring isolator to the frame... but let's say this rubber isolator failed and the nut pulled that little metal sleeve through... the springs could basically unseat. Is this normal, or am I missing something that's supposed to go over the entire isolator?

Thanks!!!

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

It's a cupped washer.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

It's a cupped washer.

Awesome, thank you Patrick, I appreciate it! They've got to be somewhere, so I'll start looking in the garage.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

82-T/A [At Work]

22772 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Ok, so, it was in the last place I looked. My daughter apparently bagged them, as she did with all the other screws, I just didn't realize it and didn't think to look. But what I found interesting is that there are two pairs of these cupped washers. One set is larger than the other. I have the set you show in your picture, but then there's also another set that's a little bit smaller. Are they supposed to sit inside each other or something?

Thanks!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

...but then there's also another set that's a little bit smaller. Are they supposed to sit inside each other or something?

If you take them out of the bag so I can see 'em, maybe I'll be able to tell you.

Stingray92

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's a lower and upper dished washer to sandwich the strut mount.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Stingray92:

There's a lower and upper dished washer to sandwich the strut mount.

That makes sense. It's been about ten years since I've had any Fiero struts apart. My photographic memory is failing me.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-06-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The Washers do more then "look nice."

They Stop the strut rod from punching thru the "hat."
The rubber there won't last long w/o the washers.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I took them out of the bag... based on the wear, rust and marks from the nuts, I can make the assumption that the smaller one goes on the top, and the bigger one goes on the bottom (I would have thought initially it would have been the opposite). Would you guys mind confirming this is the case?

I tossed them in the rock tumbler I bought. I'm trying to help my daughter out. She has had back to back weekends of events. She's in a travel orchestra and they're on a trip, and then it's another thing or another thing, or a sporting event. She refuses to put anything back on the car unless she sands it down, cleans it, and paints it... because she wants it to be perfect. But I'm concerned she's not going to be able to actually finish the car with her crazy schedule. She didn't want me to help, but I told her that at the very least I could do, was clean stuff up. So I've been soaking a lot of the hardware in degreaser, cleaning it, and painting them, or putting them in the rock tumbler. She's been chasing all the threats for the machine screws and such, so that everything goes back together. I told her about that other girl who was trying to restore her Fiero and never finished... that it took her like 6 years and ended up selling the car. So she's really concerned that will happen to her, so she's letting me do the less important stuff.

She's way more responsible than I am. Back in the day, I would have just screwed everything down best I could have figured. She insists that because the manual says it needs to be torqued down to a certain specification, that we HAVE to use a torque wrench for everything. She made me go buy a bunch of torque wrenches, including a little one that does inch-pounds (didn't even know that was a thing). It's crazy. She was doing a circuits project, and I told her LEDs can be soldered any way on the board because they're basically lightbulbs. Obviously, I turned out to be wrong, and so now she insists on using instructions rather than listening to dad's off the cuff advice. Haha...
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'd replace the strut mounts and be done with it. The washers yeah you could clean up but I wouldn't reuse the lock nut. RA has some $20.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd replace the strut mounts and be done with it. The washers yeah you could clean up but I wouldn't reuse the lock nut. RA has some $20.

Yeah, we're replacing the McPherson struts, the plates that have the embedded rubber bushing, the springs (I have a good set of rust free / low mileage used WS6 springs), the spring isolators (top and bottom), and the nut (which comes with the struts). What I couldn't find are the mounting plates (the rusty things in my first picture under the plate). That seems to be a Fiero-specific part, and looks like we're going to have to sand it down and paint it. We also have to re-use the washers as it doesn't look like anyone sells new ones anyway.

Just want to make sure I understand that the big ones go on the underside, and the smaller ones go on the top (this is what it looks like to me).

Thanks!
PFF
System Bot
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes bigger one in the bottom
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2024 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Yes bigger one in the bottom

Thanks Stingray! I appreciate it!
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The bidirectional diode. LOL

The equivalent of a bi-directional one-way valve
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

The bidirectional diode. LOL

The equivalent of a bi-directional one-way valve

Hahaha... hey... I switched my EE to Software Engineering when it was taking too long, so don't judge me!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock