Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  passinger side radiator tube the same on 1987 and 1988 cars?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
passinger side radiator tube the same on 1987 and 1988 cars? by richard in nc
Started on: 04-01-2024 06:21 PM
Replies: 9 (137 views)
Last post by: theogre on 04-08-2024 09:57 AM
richard in nc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
i noticed that someone tried to jack up my 1987 car using the radiator pipe.its maybe half closed.will one from my 1988 parts car fit it?they are both 2.5/autos with ac.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 06:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
No. The 88 coolant tubes are very different from the early years.
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

No. The 88 coolant tubes are very different from the early years.

well,that sucks.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-02-2024 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
See https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ crush pipes

If looks sim to that,,,
loose front nut to frame, drop hangers under rocker panel then see if can move the pipe.
Maybe not since heater & water pump hoses are short.

If not need the remove the hoses that likely means have to dremel cut wheel to cut Al crimp "clamp" for small hose.

Cut the pipe thru the crush zone, restore the shape, then use plain hose to seal.
Must support both parts & tie the back to the car so pressure won't push it out of the new hose.

WHILE hose joints have Bumps etc to prevent that. cut pipes don't SS makes near impossible to add them w/ DIY methods. Like most solder & glues won't stick to it. Some may seem to stick but isn't & fails sometime later.

If is more to front, Remove the front nut & likely the rad hose to get more room & likely leave back hoses in place.

Restore shape might be able to exhaust pipe expander to finish the job.

Doesn't have to be exact, round enough to get good flow & hose can seal.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2024 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

See https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ crush pipes

If looks sim to that,,,
loose front nut to frame, drop hangers under rocker panel then see if can move the pipe.
Maybe not since heater & water pump hoses are short.

If not need the remove the hoses that likely means have to dremel cut wheel to cut Al crimp "clamp" for small hose.

Cut the pipe thru the crush zone, restore the shape, then use plain hose to seal.
Must support both parts & tie the back to the car so pressure won't push it out of the new hose.

WHILE hose joints have Bumps etc to prevent that. cut pipes don't SS makes near impossible to add them w/ DIY methods. Like most solder & glues won't stick to it. Some may seem to stick but isn't & fails sometime later.

If is more to front, Remove the front nut & likely the rad hose to get more room & likely leave back hoses in place.

Restore shape might be able to exhaust pipe expander to finish the job.

Doesn't have to be exact, round enough to get good flow & hose can seal.

your link didn't work for me. im thinking a bodyshop can weld tabs on it and use a slide hammer to open it back up.it doesn't need to be perfect.
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:

your link didn't work for me. im thinking a bodyshop can weld tabs on it and use a slide hammer to open it back up.it doesn't need to be perfect.

The pipe is very thin to weld tabs on. You need someone that it very good with welding stainless steel to do that.
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

The pipe is very thin to weld tabs on. You need someone that it very good with welding stainless steel to do that.

i guess i'll try to find another pipe.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:

i guess i'll try to find another pipe.

I'd just cut out the squashed part of the pipe, and replace that section with a securely clamped on rubber hose.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I'd just cut out the squashed part of the pipe, and replace that section with a securely clamped on rubber hose.

I'd do this, even if I had a replacement pipe handy, it's a kunt to replace. I'll still do What Patrick said on my own car. there's only what? 16lbs pressure on it.

[This message has been edited by jelly2m8 (edited 04-08-2024).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2024 09:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Again, 16PSI can push the pipe out of the hose because doesn't have "Bumps."

Coolant will "leak" enough to lube a hose joint & smooth pipe can't hold w/o extra work.

Either "clamp" the sections of pipe to frame or do other things to lock them.

In my case, I used some SS flats from windshield wiper blades & extra clamps to lock D-side rear pipe to other section & support rear section too to keep it in place.
W/o it the pipe "blew out/off" & dumped almost entire coolant load on the highway in seconds. Unless someone else see it happen & warn you, you have nothing to cool the engine & often no warning of the problem because sensor needs coolant @ pressure to work right.
So no pressure, gauge can read "normal" until boils off enough to actually read same or lower temp but head etc are way overheated.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock