Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  It’s a Mystery…noise is coming from transmission when in gear. No movement.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
It’s a Mystery…noise is coming from transmission when in gear. No movement. by ThatPhatKat
Started on: 04-01-2024 01:21 AM
Replies: 13 (212 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 04-28-2024 09:29 AM
ThatPhatKat

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 01:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I’ve got a 87 GT with a 3400 sfi paired with a 5 speed getrag. A noise started coming from the (what I think was the transmission/clutch) after trying to dump clutch and spin tire. Whoops… the noise sounds like rubbing from somthing rotating but only when in gear and clutch engaged with no car movement what so ever. In every gear. Figured I blew the clutch. Replaced the clutch and transmission I had on hand that I knew worked. Still have the same noise and no movement from the car. Can anybody help me out?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Check your axle tripots - one of them might not be installed all the way. If it isn't, then the spider gears inside the diff will spin and the car will not move.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 07:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Broken transmission input shaft?

Edit, I missed the transmission replaced part....

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 04-01-2024).]

ThatPhatKat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 10:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Check your axle tripots - one of them might not be installed all the way. If it isn't, then the spider gears inside the diff will spin and the car will not move.

Both axles clicked into place when reinstalling them. I’ve also tried removing the shift linkages to manual long select to gears to make sure the cables weren’t the issue. Is it possible to stop those splines on the axles?
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ThatPhatKat:

Replaced the clutch and transmission I had on hand that I knew worked. Still have the same noise and no movement from the car.

So, just to be clear... you've had this "no movement" issue with two different transmissions?
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When this noise occurs, is either axle turning?

If the replacement transmission is a known good transmission and you have the same problem, I would check the splines on both ends of each axle and both wheel hubs.
ThatPhatKat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 06:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

So, just to be clear... you've had this "no movement" issue with two different transmissions?

That is correct sir.
ThatPhatKat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

ThatPhatKat

6 posts
Member since Apr 2022

Originally posted by 87GT3800SC5SPD:

When this noise occurs, is either axle turning?

If the replacement transmission is a known good transmission and you have the same problem, I would check the splines on both ends of each axle and both wheel hubs.

I did not take a look. Thank you for being that up.
The splines on the old transmission look good. There was a bit of glitter in the oil when I took it out. I think I’ll just go ahead and replace axles. Because I’ll probably look at them think they are fine, when they actually aren’t. Do you have a recommendation for brand or where to buy?
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I did not take a look. Thank you for being that up.
The splines on the old transmission look good. There was a bit of glitter in the oil when I took it out. I think I’ll just go ahead and replace axles. Because I’ll probably look at them think they are fine, when they actually aren’t. Do you have a recommendation for brand or where to buy?

If you have an axle turning without moving the car, I think you have an issue that will be hard to dismiss as fine. My left outer CV joint is my Fiero's weak point.

I would take both axles out and examine them from end to end. I would inspect both rear hubs too.

Most auto parts stores would have or be able to get axles, but I would not buy anything until you have found the broken part causing the problem.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2024 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I think I’ll just go ahead and replace axles. Because I’ll probably look at them think they are fine, when they actually aren’t.

I have very limited experience with axles (other than popping them out and then reinstalling them when replacing the clutch)... but I would think that in a situation where the axles are turning but the wheels aren't, that it would be pretty easy to discover exactly where the problem lies!

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 04-01-2024).]

ThatPhatKat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-03-2024 02:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87GT3800SC5SPD:
If you have an axle turning without moving the car, I think you have an issue that will be hard to dismiss as fine. My left outer CV joint is my Fiero's weak point.

I would take both axles out and examine them from end to end. I would inspect both rear hubs too.

Most auto parts stores would have or be able to get axles, but I would not buy anything until you have found the broken part causing the problem.

Thank you for the advice! I will hold off on axles until I inspect the splines and hubs. Sadly I’m away for a bit and can’t pull things apart for a few weeks. But I will let you know how things turn out.
PFF
System Bot
ThatPhatKat

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2024 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatPhatKatSend a Private Message to ThatPhatKatEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Alright guys, I was finally able to get my hands back on the car and it turned out to be the driver side axle tripod spinning inside of the housing. Thank you guys for all your help, I greatly appreciate it.
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 03:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Well you can rule out the trans and clutch and focus on what was carried over. Why would one 'dump the clutch' on a stock trans, that one wheel peel is totally not remotely cool.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2024 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:

Well you can rule out the trans and clutch and focus on what was carried over. Why would one 'dump the clutch' on a stock trans, that one wheel peel is totally not remotely cool.

I did that with a 1985 Fiero GT 4-Speed that had decked heads (9.1:1 compression), hogged manifolds and port-matched intake, and a 4-Speed from a "performance 84" with the 4.10:1 gears... and man... the car just didn't move... It spun those BFGoodrich T/A Comps like it was standing still... I let off the gas a little bit, and the car started to move forward, and it continued to peel out into the start of 3rd gear. It was crazy. I was 19. Haha...

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock