Engine shutting off briefly by stevep914
Started on: 03-28-2024 12:34 PM
Replies: 4 (88 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-29-2024 10:21 AM
stevep914

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After several months with no issues, I had a situation yesterday during my weekly blast in the car (86 2.8 FerrariF40 conversion.) The engine shut off,started again and shut off again repeatedly unless I stood on the gas. It was as if the electrical shut down, or the fuel pump quit. Seems to idle in the driveway fine, and revving it up in the driveway is fine. This happened while I was driving the car under load. I seem to remember changing a couple of ignition control modules during the last few years when the engine quit. The one currently in the car has about 3 years on it, although I only drive the car about 1 hour a week. Suggestions?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 02:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevep914:

After several months with no issues, I had a situation yesterday during my weekly blast in the car (86 2.8 FerrariF40 conversion.) The engine shut off,started again and shut off again repeatedly unless I stood on the gas. It was as if the electrical shut down, or the fuel pump quit. Seems to idle in the driveway fine, and revving it up in the driveway is fine. This happened while I was driving the car under load. I seem to remember changing a couple of ignition control modules during the last few years when the engine quit. The one currently in the car has about 3 years on it, although I only drive the car about 1 hour a week. Suggestions?

I have seen similar symptoms from water in the gas tank, not in the Fiero but in another car, might want to check on case it's something simple like that.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stevep914:

I seem to remember changing a couple of ignition control modules during the last few years when the engine quit.

"Quit"? Like turning the ignition key to Off?

Steve, my experience with ignition modules is that the engine runs a little ragged when they're starting to fail. In other words, the engine doesn't just suddenly quit when running normally. Could be a lot of things, but I'd suspect a loose electrical connection somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 03-28-2024).]

stevep914

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2024 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, yes, just like turning the key off. It is intermittent, but I don’t like getting stranded somewhere. Does not seem to be a problem when the car isn’t moving so far. Haven’t really had a chance yet to explore it more. Electrical connection problem might make sense. I will update when I have dug into it some more. Thanks
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can be electric... https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ wiring
If have Iffy Engine mounts, exhaust leaks, etc... can be pulling on wires, heated X parts, & more adding to the electric problems.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 03-29-2024).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock