Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  How much current should a Fiero draw with ignition off?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
How much current should a Fiero draw with ignition off? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 03-26-2024 11:16 AM
Replies: 18 (221 views)
Last post by: Rodrv6 on 03-27-2024 08:40 AM
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 699
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So, I'm still troubleshooting a few electrical issues in my car. Along with my tail lights lacking grounding, my car battery gets completely drained within a few days of sitting idle. This actually ruined my one-year-old battery. I've already purchased a new battery, but before installing it, I want to identify what's causing the drain.

Today, I had another opportunity to test my car since it was dry outside. I connected an amp meter between the positive terminal of the battery and the positive wire to measure the current. Upon connecting it, I heard a ticking noise coming from the front right side - I have no clue what caused it. Meanwhile, I noticed the current was around 8A. After the ticking stopped, the current stabilized at 2A. All of this occurred with the ignition turned "OFF". I disconnected the battery and repeated the process. Again, there was ticking for a few seconds, an 8A draw, and then when the ticking ceased, it settled at 2A. I repeated this a few times (2 or 3 times) until I no longer heard ticking upon reconnecting the battery. However, the draw remained at 0.8A consistently and didn't change. This is quite significant and would fully deplete my 70Ah battery in less than 4 days, which aligns with what I've observed over the past year.

I'm clueless as to what's causing this draw. Tomorrow, I plan to remove the fuses one by one and observe when the draw disappears. This should at least provide a starting point for further investigation.

Oh, and that brings me back to my original question: what amount of current draw is considered "normal"?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

So, I'm still troubleshooting a few electrical issues in my car. Along with my tail lights lacking grounding, my car battery gets completely drained within a few days of sitting idle. This actually ruined my one-year-old battery. I've already purchased a new battery, but before installing it, I want to identify what's causing the drain.

Today, I had another opportunity to test my car since it was dry outside. I connected an amp meter between the positive terminal of the battery and the positive wire to measure the current. Upon connecting it, I heard a ticking noise coming from the front right side - I have no clue what caused it. Meanwhile, I noticed the current was around 8A. After the ticking stopped, the current stabilized at 2A. All of this occurred with the ignition turned "OFF". I disconnected the battery and repeated the process. Again, there was ticking for a few seconds, an 8A draw, and then when the ticking ceased, it settled at 2A. I repeated this a few times (2 or 3 times) until I no longer heard ticking upon reconnecting the battery. However, the draw remained at 0.8A consistently and didn't change. This is quite significant and would fully deplete my 70Ah battery in less than 4 days, which aligns with what I've observed over the past year.

I'm clueless as to what's causing this draw. Tomorrow, I plan to remove the fuses one by one and observe when the draw disappears. This should at least provide a starting point for further investigation.

Oh, and that brings me back to my original question: what amount of current draw is considered "normal"?

Normal is definitely much much less then that, like 0.03 amps or something, just enough to keep the ECM memory and radio clock.

What I can think of for the clicking is maybe something to do with the ventilation system? Do you have AC, if so you have the electrically controlled air box, I don't know if that is powered when the car is off, but it might make sense that it kicks back on for a few seconds to ensure it is in the right place when the battery is reconnected. I know a tape player can make some clicking sounds when reconnecting the battery, the headlights draw some amps and can click if they are the gen 1 system, that's a common battery killer.

How loud are the clicks, and how frequent, 1 per second, so fast as to be almost indiscernible as individual clicks, etc?

Definitely remove fuses one by one, have the multimeter hooked up, and monitor it as you remove the fuses, no need to disconnect the multimeter for each fuse. If you don't have a helper, use a phone to record the multimeter as you pull fuses, and set the phone up in the cabin, or the frunk to "listen" for where the sound comes from, and "watch" the knobs on the headlights, see if they move at all.

[This message has been edited by 1985 Fiero GT (edited 03-26-2024).]

Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1985 Fiero GT:

What I can think of for the clicking is maybe something to do with the ventilation system? Do you have AC, if so you have the electrically controlled air box, I don't know if that is powered when the car is off, but it might make sense that it kicks back on for a few seconds to ensure it is in the right place when the battery is reconnected. I know a tape player can make some clicking sounds when reconnecting the battery, the headlights draw some amps and can click if they are the gen 1 system, that's a common battery killer.

No A/C, no cassette player. And I have Gen 2 headlights.

How loud are the clicks, and how frequent, 1 per second, so fast as to be almost indiscernible as individual clicks, etc?

Loud enough you can hear them easily but not super loud. If I needed to guess, I would say about 5-10 clicks p/s. It sounds a bit when you try to start your car but there isn't enough juice in your battery. You hear it clicking too. Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like that clicking.

I wanted to record the sound on my phone but by the time I had thought of that, the clicking was gone. I know it will return tomorrow since so far, I have heard that sound each time I disconnect the battery for a longer time.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right front?

Unplug your headlight motor.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Come to think of it, my right headlight sometimes won't pop up. When it doesn't, I need to try a few times before it does.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 01:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My battery was drained overnight a couple of times- why...? Was rebuilding the headlight motors- went up well but coming down one still wasn't right- tapped the knob on the motor and then it dropped....as I was leaving the garage I heard a ticking sound near that motor- looking around it I touched it- YOW! Hot....I unplugged it and the ticking stopped- later was showing a friend the headlight motors, explaining what had happened- did NOT turn the motors on or anything....Heard a ticking sound from the other side- ran around to that side and felt motor- just turned on all on it's own! Several Fieros have burned up because of these motors going bad

Disconnect the motors and see if you lose power on your battery again...That is probably your drain. I swapped in the later model (87-88) motor system- much better! (You will need the front light harness and the control module....and can buy new motors on Amazon)
Frenchrafe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrenchrafeSend a Private Message to FrenchrafeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, 8 amps then 2 amps is an awful lot when not running.
Like others have said, maybe faulty headlamp motor.
It's the only circuit that I can think of that is always powered so as to bring the headlights down even when you shut the car's motor off.

A stop gap method would be to put a battery switch in place or just disconnect the battery after driving. This would save draining the battery untill you find the fault.

I use a race car style cutoff switch that I turn off after each outing. There again, I can go several weeks (months) not using the Fiero.

------------------
"Turbo Slug" - '87 Fiero GT. 3800 turbo. - The fastest Fiero in France! @turboslugfiero
https://youtu.be/hUzOAeyWLfM

cyrus88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus88Send a Private Message to cyrus88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Definitely not normal. I have aftermarket alarm, stereo, power locks, etc. and still draw less than 20mA.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cvxjet:

Disconnect the motors and see if you lose power on your battery again...That is probably your drain. I swapped in the later model (87-88) motor system- much better! (You will need the front light harness and the control module....and can buy new motors on Amazon)

I already have the Gen 2 setup.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock

11610 posts
Member since Jan 99

Originally posted by Frenchrafe:

or just disconnect the battery after driving. This would save draining the battery untill you find the fault.

That's my problem right there. I lost my trunk keys 2 months ago. So if I disconnect the battery the only way to get back in the trunk is to power the trunk release by connecting a battery through the cigarette lighter. But for that I need... a battery.
cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I moved my battery up front....but because it is under the spare tire, I have limited access- so I installed a battery disconnect switch- I can switch the battery off easily- just pop the front trunk and twist it. You could install a switch somewhere else, also (Although engine compartment/rear trunk would not be helpful...)

Try pulling fuses for things to see if that stops the drain- and definitely disconnect your HL motors for the time being- even the 2nd-gen ones can develop problems...
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cliff Pennock:

Loud enough you can hear them easily but not super loud. If I needed to guess, I would say about 5-10 clicks p/s. It sounds a bit when you try to start your car but there isn't enough juice in your battery. You hear it clicking too. Come to think of it, it sounds a lot like that clicking.

I wanted to record the sound on my phone but by the time I had thought of that, the clicking was gone. I know it will return tomorrow since so far, I have heard that sound each time I disconnect the battery for a longer time.

Maybe your headlights, I don't know exactly how the gen 2 system works, I would be inclined to think you have a grounding problem, somehow something isn't ground right, and the electricity is flowing through a "sneak path" as described in the ogre's cave, maybe somehow through the starter, making the sound, that would be intermittent as well, so might look for bad grounds
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes, max is ~ 35mA as standby for ECM Radio etc. Often uses Way less then max even w/ aftermarket "radios."

Over that will kill the battery faster, way faster > 1A.
Just 1 194 bulb pulling ~ 0.29A can kill most batteries in a day or three. Remember a Starter Battery is functionally "dead" just ~
11.9v...

Gen2 HL motor system should not kill your battery same reasons as Gen1 but if the module is "bad" then could have similar results.

see cave battery leches & get www.amazon.com/UNI-T-Digita...rement/dp/B00O1Q2HOQ or similar DC amp clamps read lower current draw so no cutting or otherwise disconnecting whatever.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The only ALWAYS ON circuits on a Fiero are

- battery lead to starter motor solenoid
- Alternator
- ECU battery power
- headlight module
- headlight switch
- emergency flasher
- brake light circuit
- courtesy lights
- fuel pump relay/oil pressure switch circuit
- high speed blower relay
- cigar lighter
- radio memory

I hope this helps.
stevep914

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevep914Send a Private Message to stevep914Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I had the battery drain go on for awhile, and installed a race style interruptor ( Autozone) on the interior passenger firewall. Shut it off every time I finish driving it. Have not had a problem since.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cliff Pennock:
That's my problem right there. I lost my trunk keys 2 months ago......

IMHO, 'bite the bullet' and buy the damn fastback trunk lock cylinder you found on eBay!

This is the correct one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/304968230480

But they don't mention a part number and I don't think these really cost $85...

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My first guess would be the headlight motor(s).
Second would be the fuel pump running. If the oil pressure switch sticks closed, it can run your fuel pump until the battery dies. You can test by unplugging your oil pressure sender. Or pull the fuel pump fuse. Either one should kill the pump, if it's running.
Cliff Pennock
Administrator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 01:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cliff PennockClick Here to visit Cliff Pennock's HomePageSend a Private Message to Cliff PennockEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

IMHO, 'bite the bullet' and buy the damn fastback trunk lock cylinder you found on eBay!

Well, I realized I don't have to. I can simply re-code the trunk lock cylinder with the lock tumblers from the "wrong" lock cylinder I had bought. Just need to find the time to do it (it requires drilling out a few screws since they were badly rusted and apparently had broken off).
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You may have a couple of issues, in addition to the possible headlight motor issue, check to make sure the alternator isn't getting warm when the car sits for a bit. I've had a diode go bad and drain the battery overnight.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Ball Ground, Ga.
"You can't have too many toys!"
1988 Fiero GT
1988 Porsche 928S4
1987 Corvette
2016 Mustang EcoBoost
Van's RV-6 airplane

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to: