cleaning wheels. by BingB
Started on: 03-24-2024 12:09 PM
Replies: 1 (88 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-24-2024 12:50 PM
BingB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Just bought a set of cheap wheel that I am going to recondition.

They look like they have been painted, but it doesn't really look like paint. It is hard to explain, but it looks kind of like a tint more than a paint. I took some pictures, but you rewally can't tell a lot. they look like they have been painted.

Anyone know if this might have been some paint/tint that was specifically for wheels? If so what would take it off. If is already flaking off in some places. I have sandpaper and a wire wheel, but it would be great if some sort of chemical could take most of it off.

i don't have to worry about preserving the finish because i am going to try and powder coat them myself.

[This message has been edited by BingB (edited 03-24-2024).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Good luck...

Many are "powder coated" & many to all chem paint strippers won't touch that. Some chem's "eat" the alloy wheels.
Sand paper etc that removes that can "eat" the alloy wheels too.

Others are "painted" but not w/ "normal" paint most people get thru retail. These finishes often resist many chem strippers available @ retail too.

Maybe the stuff is flaking is brake dust. If true may need to "just wash" them w/ tire cleaner. Spay on & wait minutes to hours to work & watch to not let the cleaner dry.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock