Bringing an '85 GT back to life? by jumpmonkey
Started on: 03-20-2024 02:28 PM
Replies: 5 (148 views)
Last post by: TheDigitalAlchemist on 03-25-2024 11:47 PM
jumpmonkey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jumpmonkeySend a Private Message to jumpmonkeyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Context: I just purchased my first Fiero, a non-running 85GT that has been sitting for some time(10-15 years). I am a GM apprentice tech and student at a technical school. My knowledge is limited but I can understand car-speak. That being said, I'd like to hear your thoughts on how to bring it back to life.

I believe I've found the issue for why it wasn't running. The fuel pump is not working. I got a lot of great advice in this thread that I started(Shoutout to 1985 Fiero GT, jelly2m8, CSM842M4, theogre, and Patrick). I've ordered a new pump, sending unit, and fuel filter. I also plan on cleaning the tank and lining it with POR-15 Fuel Tank Sealer which JohnWPB did with his '86GT in this build thread. Once I get it all put back together, I have a strong feeling that the car will run.

What would be your recommendations for continuing to restore the car after I get it back on the road? I think I'll have to work on the brake lines and possibly replace all the vacuum lines, just to be safe. I also have to get the headlight motors to operate. I posted about that and after taking them apart and seeing the insides, I'll probably move to the Gen 2 system. My only issue has been finding an affordable harness and headlamp control module.
As for what I've done so far, the oil/filter has been replaced and will be replaced again after driving the car for a small time. I replaced all the spark plugs. I'll be replacing the fuel filter, air filter, and PCV valve.

If there's any Fiero specific maintenance that you guys think would be good to do on this before I really put any miles on it, I'd be interested to hear it!

------------------
Jumpmonkey

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To Me - Complete Brake System Service BEFORE putting the car on the road.....working brakes are very important!

At the least - fresh fluid; check the brake pads/rotors and the calipers are working properly.

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Brakes as above, EGR tube is likely bad, check that first if you have a high idle (vacuum leak), TPS sensor often go bad without much warning or even check engine light (check with voltmeter), replace manual transmission fluid with synchromesh fluid, new shocks all around (Monroe gas charged is good, kyb is harsh but good), exhaust manifold cracks are common on the front (sounds like a sewing machine tick when accelerating), check for clutch hydraulic leaks (replace clutch master/slave with Rodney Dickman parts if needed/available), replace distributor o-ring if you have a bit of oil pooled on transmission, time the engine to factory spec, replace suspension bushings of there is any looseness in suspension (rubber best, poly if you are ok with harsh ride and the potential for squeaks), new spark plug wires (and distributor if it is rusty/bad inside) new ignition coil if you want (will help some in higher rpms), flush coolant system, get an alignment if you want (it will likely be needed), replace engine cradle bushings with poly/aluminum (did that over the winter, haven't tested yet, but everyone suggests this), watch out for signs of a failing alternator (mine is almost dead, will replace with '88 cs130 alternator, better then older one), adjust shifter cables, oil the shifter mechanism in the cabin, check, check, check for rust, especially in trunk and upper rear frame rails.

This is what I got off the top of my head and from my records of what I've done to my Fiero (also a '85 GT, got it last April) I can say with certainty that it is not the same car that I bought, I bought a car that was in medium mechanical shape, best characterized by the permanently winky headlights (one not working, one partially dead) generally dirty, sun damaged, out of tune, and it is now in incredible mechanical shape, I had the luck to have basically no rust (barely even discoloration/surface rust in about a half cm strip of the pinch welds on upper rear frame rails), I've repainted, cleaned, etc. the engine bay, intake/valve cover, it looks (other then the body paint haha) and sounds and drives better then new, and pairs nicely with my dad's Fiero in car shows (his looks good from the outside, bad under the hood, mine looks incredible under the hood, not so great from the outside) considering the money I've put into it, I have increased the value as much as I have spent (at least in Canada where prices are higher, in the US that might be harder to do)

Anyhow that's a long post, lots of ideas there, hopefully you have as much fun as I have had!
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would add do a flush(non chemical BS)/pressure check on the cooling system, gaskets, seals, & hoses tend to dry rot overtime. If you haven't got a spare water pump get one. Hopefully you've primed the oil system/flushed it. Basically I would suggest treat it like NOC, off the factory line just your dealing with aged parts, fluids and issues unknown. Getting a running engine is one thing, a reliable, safe vehicle is an accurate assessment of what is needing attention vs just make it go.

If this is an auto consider replacing the radiator/trans cooler and flush the trans lines

Stingray.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2024 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sitting Years....
Above is only a start.
Except Water Pump has or will fail soon because of rust on shaft & bad coolant eat the seal. Can fail in minutes to a few months.
Brake hoses likely iffy to dead. Use factory format "rubber" that meets newer SAE J1401 see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/129208.html rubber brake lines vs stainless steel
Other Brake parts are bad too https://web.archive.org/web...cast.net/~fierocave/ brake section.
likely have electrical problems to many examples to list. See cave wiring section.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

TheDigitalAlchemist

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 94
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TheDigitalAlchemistClick Here to visit TheDigitalAlchemist's HomePageSend a Private Message to TheDigitalAlchemistEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Clean out ALL of the heating/AC stuff... why? Mice make nests.

replace all the Bolts between the Exhaust and Engine.
Replace all spark plugs.

There is more,

but I am tired,
and have fallen onto a pillow....

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay