Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Possibly not running on all 6 cylinders. Will a temperature reading work? (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
Possibly not running on all 6 cylinders. Will a temperature reading work? by Cliff Pennock
Started on: 03-19-2024 11:56 AM
Replies: 50 (542 views)
Last post by: Stingray92 on 03-26-2024 09:32 PM
jelly2m8

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

I think you and I could sit down and have a smooth glass of Whiskey
IP: Logged
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ECM can change IAC as O2 sensor "reads" exhaust as too much or little air in that like messing w/ vacuum leaks until set 44/45 codes for big leaks or iffy injection..
So when you pull a plug wire, unplug injector etc during running IAC & RPM can change for same reason.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:

I'm waiting with bated breath, to hear what you find out.

BUT...
I have a story.

I had a V6 car, 85 maybe 86
Very underpowered, bur still seemed to run *smooth* by my opinion.
one of the fuel injector fuses was blown.
1,3,5, and 2,4,6 are on separate circuits.

It mystified me that I couldn't feel a misfire.
The 2.8 is just so perfectly balanced.

This exact scenario ran our club "expert" around in circles for... too long a time.

Something that not everyone realizes... The EGR solenoid is powered by one of those fuses. If it shorts out, it can take out one bank of injectors.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2024 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jelly2m8:
I think you and I could sit down and have a smooth glass of Whiskey

I'm a bottom shelf vodka kinda guy, but hey, if you're buying...

Originally posted by Raydar:
This exact scenario ran our club "expert" around in circles for... too long a time.
Something that not everyone realizes... The EGR solenoid is powered by one of those fuses. If it shorts out, it can take out one bank of injectors.

So now.
You jogged my brain.
I think one bank has the plus one of the EGR circuit.
and the other bank has the cold start injector.

I don't think that any of this helps Cliff, but I wanted to give info.
Us old timers are not going to be around forever.
I want to share what I can when I still have it in my head.
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:
the IAC will try to correct for it.
Before killing cylinders, I would be inclined to unplug the IAC.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

It doesn't respond that fast.
You will know when you unplug the dead cylinder, because nothing changes.
You only have to unplug it for 2 or 3 seconds to notice a difference.

A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have a friend down in indiana with an 87 GT. He hit a deer a few years ago and the car was out of commission for a long time. Last year i drove down to help him out with it. Lots of weird problems. One bank of injectors was not firing, the fuse was blown. We were dealing with some very strange problems regarding his MAP sensor. The ECU kept throwing a code for it, so i decided to take the MAP from my car and try it in his. Still throwing a code and wouldn't run, the harness was showing correct voltage and good ground from the MAP to the ECU connector, so i said screw it and threw my ECU into his car!(his is an auto, swapped PROM and the other chip) and it fired right up and ran beautiful.

Important bits are the injector bank not firing, but it was amazingly smooth still. Guess it gets a power stroke every 120° so its smooth still?

Then for spark testing. What I have always done is take my jumper cables and a spare spark plug, ground the plug by the threads to chassis/batt. Then pull a boot off from one cyl and plug it into my loose plug. Pull my fuel pump fuse and crank the motor. If the plug sparks, i move on.

Fun way is to pull the plug wire off at the distributor while the car is running, then trying to plug it back in while it shocks you the whole time. Only fought my way through 2 cylinders that way before my arm got sore from tensing up hehe
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Lonely_Potato:

Fun way is to pull the plug wire off at the distributor while the car is running, then trying to plug it back in while it shocks you the whole time.

And that's how A_Lonely_Potato is turned into A_French_Fry.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

And that's how A_Lonely_Potato is turned into A_French_Fry.

Hahaha, good one. When I removed my distributor, I lost base timing, so to find it again, I had someone crank the Fiero without the fuel pump fuse, while using the light to time it before actually starting it. I ended up rotating the distributor by hand with ignition on, got a few good shocks from that, they weren't very bad, so I figured I needed a new ignition coil, and my car runs better now hahaha!
Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Automotive ignition systems don't carry anywhere near the continous current of ac systems. 480 Vac is no fun, 15kv can blow doors off a box. It's not the voltage, rather the current to be concerned with. The insulated spark plug wire is safe to touch while the circuit is complete, however once no path to ground it will find the best path, don't let that be you.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

A_Lonely_Potato:
Lots of weird problems. / so i said screw it and threw my ECU into his car!(his is an auto, swapped PROM and the other chip) and it fired right up and ran beautiful.

I had similar issues with weird problems on a 1992 Honda...
So, I sent the computer to ECU Exchange for testing.
They found that the computer had a bad power supply which created distortion on the reference and system voltages and the car rans beautiful after service.....

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

Stingray92

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stingray92Send a Private Message to Stingray92Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Not to discredit anyone's suggestions, in regards to ecm. this company upfix.com fixed an abs module for me, so far so good. Don't know how they will do with ecms, 4 day to/from installed, and 5 months later still going.
PFF
System Bot
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay