Coolant Temp Needle way off by Rdy4takeoff
Started on: 03-15-2024 05:02 PM
Replies: 10 (164 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 03-19-2024 12:30 PM
Rdy4takeoff

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 05:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rdy4takeoffSend a Private Message to Rdy4takeoffEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

I took the dash off and gauge cluster to clean. When I reinstalled I noticed the Coolant Temp Gauge Needle pointing up! When I was cleaning I noticed the needls on the speed moving around etc. Did this needle just get stuck up and needs a gentle bump down?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rdy4takeoff:

Hello,

I took the dash off and gauge cluster to clean. When I reinstalled I noticed the Coolant Temp Gauge Needle pointing up! When I was cleaning I noticed the needls on the speed moving around etc. Did this needle just get stuck up and needs a gentle bump down?

Thanks

I've had that problem, bumping it back down will fix it, the early gauges don't reset to zero automatically
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Full right, as your meter shows, indicates an open grounded circuit.
Chances are that the plug on the right side of the cluster has the flexible circuit board delaminated and is causing the problem.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-19-2024).]

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Full right, as your meter shows, indicates an open circuit.
Chances are that the plug on the right side of the cluster has the flexible circuit board delaminated and is causing the problem.

No, the needle only travels between minimum and maximum on the indicated gauge electrically, through the range of its signal, if the needle was physically bumped, or it got the signal for full temp repeatedly on and off a few times without time for the needle to return to the off position, essentially ratcheting the needle up like that. The second gen instruments have much more range and that could be what you said, but the 1st gen instruments can get stuck like that relatively easily.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 03:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The needles can get stuck, but full right is an open a grounded circuit on all Fiero temp gages.

[This message has been edited by olejoedad (edited 03-19-2024).]

1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-17-2024 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

The needles can get stuck, but full right is an open circuit on all Fiero temp gages.

Yes, but not that far full right, on the early gauges they physically cannot go that far unless physically bumped up there, late gauges maybe have the electrical control to go up there, but early gauges, of it is that far up, it is entirely physical. Early gauge range, full left to full right is exactly what is numbered, it can't go below the lowest number, and can't go above the highest number, very small range, do if it is past that range, it was physically pushed up there, and simply rotating the needle back will fix it, the early gauges also don't return to zero when turning off the car, which doesn't help.
FieroMark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMarkSend a Private Message to FieroMarkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I found that the initial hard swing on start-up, due to the "unusual" wiring of the gage circuit that puts full voltage during crank, got my needle stuck in that exact position. All I had to do was remove the gage to allow the needle to return to the normal position in order to fix it.
1985 Fiero GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1985 Fiero GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroMark:

I found that the initial hard swing on start-up, due to the "unusual" wiring of the gage circuit that puts full voltage during crank, got my needle stuck in that exact position. All I had to do was remove the gage to allow the needle to return to the normal position in order to fix it.

That could also cause it, especially if you pressed the key 2+ times in quick succession, are your needless yellow or orange, because orange is much more likely to get stuck from physical issues, and electrically "ratcheting" up when the signal is applied on/off/on very fast, yellow needles, are more likely to be an electrical fault or bad signal then being truely "stuck" up there due to there increased throw and the way they return to zero.
olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have corrected my two previous posts in this thread.

The temp gage will deflect full right when the circuit is grounded.

Thie mistake in the OEM wiring that causes this is due to the gage lead being connected to the ignition switch terminal G2 in the KEY ON and START positions. The situation can be easily corrected by clipping the two small diameter green wires on this terminal and connecting them together.

There are also other methods for eliminating the gage pegging AND showing the HOT light at BULB TEST/START.

I apologize for the previous bad information which has been corrected.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

olejoedad:
There are also other methods for eliminating the gage pegging AND showing the HOT light at BULB TEST/START.

FYI - One method is this link - Coolant Temperature Gauge Information and Fix/Repair....
https://www.fierofocus.com/...osails/tempgage.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

olejoedad

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-19-2024 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

FYI - One method is this link - Coolant Temperature Gauge Information and Fix/Repair....
https://www.fierofocus.com/...osails/tempgage.html

I don't prefer the fix you posted because it changes the OEM wiring in the engine bay at the temp sender and also in the interior. If the car is ever resold, troubleshooting could be an issue.

I prefer to do the wiring change only in the interior, by attaching the HOT lamp wire to the G2 terminal and removing the GAGE wire from the G2 terminal.

It's easier and less complicated, especially if the car is sold and the change to the wiring in the engine bay isn't noted.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock