Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  New 88 Fiero GT owner, looking for suggestions.

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
New 88 Fiero GT owner, looking for suggestions. by Ikezzilla
Started on: 03-11-2024 07:46 PM
Replies: 13 (346 views)
Last post by: jelly2m8 on 03-31-2024 04:06 AM
Ikezzilla

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IkezzillaClick Here to visit Ikezzilla's HomePageSend a Private Message to IkezzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello thanks for the info ahead of time!
I just got a 88 Fiero GT with the 2.8, i was told it had a little bit of knock when i bought it and i was hoping i could save it for a bit by just doing a bearing swap, But the crank shaft is to damaged. So i am looking at the motor wondering if i should just fix or replace the crank and accompanying bits and pieces, or if i should have some work done to this motor so i can get some more power out of it. Heck i don't even know if this motor is worth putting any work into or if i should get a new long block instead, Really just looking for some ideas and suggestions from the experts here. if its to vague and you need some more info let me know!

------------------
Isaac J

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 08:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ikezzilla:
if its to vague and you need some more info let me know!

Like Mileage on the Engine and DIY or Pay a Shop?

EDIT - Read this thread as this has 3.4L links and other good info:

To engine swap or not to engine swap by Nasta
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/147475.html

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 03-11-2024).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Assuming... that the rest of the engine is good (which is a crapshoot, really), but you are going to keep it and fix it, as opposed to swapping it, I would, at the minimum, replace the crank and pistons with 3.1 pieces. (Those two items are the only difference between a 2.8 and a 3.1.) You won't have much more horsepower, but the difference in torque will be substantial.
msweldon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-11-2024 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Classic time for a 3.4L upgrade discussion... The time and money spent to upgrade to a 3.1 might as well be spent upgrading to a 3.4 block
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Buy a remanned 3.4 shortblock and install all of the other 2.8 Fiero parts on it.
richard in nc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2024 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ikezzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IkezzillaClick Here to visit Ikezzilla's HomePageSend a Private Message to IkezzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Its got 115555 miles it sounded pretty strong when it ran but i haven't checked the compression fluid looked good besides the metal from the failed bearing on cylinder 4, its gonna be a DIY project. I have seen a lot of people taking about a 3.4 swap. Right now i don't want to get down a huge rabbit hole, but i want to get a decent motor going in it. I'm just not sure if its more worth it to swap to something a bit better or sink some money into the original block. the mechanical part of swapping to a 3.4 doesn't seem to bad but how's the electrical portion is there much that changes?
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The iron head 3.4 will run on the stock Fiero computer. It will run a bit lean on the Fiero injectors, but there are several ways to fix that.
The aluminum head 3.4 (aka 3400) will be a lot more complex. But that's not what we're talking about, I don't think.
The iron head 3.4 came in 93-95 Camarobirds.

So yeah... rebuild yours as a 3.1, or find a 3.4. When I suggested the 3.1, I was picturing a quick DIY. But the 3.4 will be even more satisfying.
If you want to do some head and intake porting, and swap the cam, it will be even more satisfying, but it can get spendy.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 03-15-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2024 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Ikezzilla:
Its got 115,555 miles it sounded pretty strong when it ran but i haven't checked the compression fluid looked good besides the metal from the failed bearing on cylinder 4, its gonna be a DIY project.

Thank-you, and my last question is MONEY - what is your 'budget' on the engine?
In these inflationary times; can you afford a 3.4L Remanufactured Crate Engine?

Please look at these 3.4L links below:

82-T/A:
Three links that have the DCC9 3.4 V6 available now... that drops right in:

https://www.jegs.com/i/ATK-...es/059/DCC9/10002/-1
https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/ATKDCC9
https://www.autozone.com/po...gine-dcc9/561355_0_0

And as Raydar commented, "it can get spendy" when adding 'extras' on a 3.4L swap....

MY VIEW:
Obviously, you'll need to drop the engine which isn't easy for the 'average' Fiero owner (like me).
Second, IF you have the funds - your best bang for bucks is the 3.4L swap
Otherwise, wait to see when you open the 2.8L.....

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 03-16-2024).]

Ikezzilla

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2024 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IkezzillaClick Here to visit Ikezzilla's HomePageSend a Private Message to IkezzillaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
For me it's just a labor of love I have always wanted one of these cars, so it's gonna soak up my time and money. I appreciate all the suggestions so far. Thank you! I'm not totally sure about the capability of the 3.4 but it seem like a hard motor to get some higher performance out of, I'd honestly like to get a engine I could get to 300hp maybe 350hp so I might just wait, and redo the 2.8 while I figure out what I need to look at that will get me to that point. My main reason for not going all in on a bigger build right now is I lost my spot to have the car torn down for a long period of time.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2024 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ike, since you want to fix the 2.8 while you plan for the 300HP adventure, I'd suggest the following relatively cheap steps, which you can do with the motor in the car, if you don't mind working on your back, front wheels on ramps, back jacked up on the frame:

1) Get a crank from someone on the forum here (perhaps for free or low $ with paying for shipping)
2) Replace the main and rod bearings and the oil pump
3) Hone cylinders and get new rings
4) Port the exhaust manifolds
5) Port and polish the cylinder heads, replace valve stem seals
6) Replace 1.5 rockers with 1.6

I'd also consider replacing the water pump and timing chain while you are at it. These leaves the original cam and bearings in place, since you can't get that out with the motor in the car. These modest updates really woke up my stock 2.8L with 90K miles on it.
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2024 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To answer your question about electrical wiring work on a 3.4 swap - there is none. It uses the stock Fiero wiring harness and ECU. You will need to get the ECU retuned for optimal results.
BillS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-29-2024 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BillSSend a Private Message to BillSEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've done it both ways - built a custom 3.1 for turbo (the 3.4 wasn't easily available back when I did it) and got some nice added torque even before the turbo was fitted.

Also built up a 3.4 to around 190 bhp to put in one of my little British sports cars. That would be easy to do for the Fiero application.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post03-31-2024 04:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Idk... personally I would let a machine shop rework the bottom end, 2.8's are reliably rebuilt. 3.4 swaps history has shown are a common resale as it doesn't deliver what the owner thought it would.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock