QuickJack and 1988 Fiero by V8Steve
Started on: 02-26-2024 08:46 AM
Replies: 18 (406 views)
Last post by: V8Steve on 03-14-2024 11:18 AM
V8Steve

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've read all the threads on QuickJack and EZCarLift and am exploring buying one for another 88 project. I'm posting this to learn if there are any more experiences out there with these lifts.

Having done two V8 swaps, I'm pretty familiar with the jacking points under the car and have spent hours rolling around on a creeper.

These lifts seem to prefer jacking points ideally in line with one another, front to back.

I'd appreciate any input on these lifts for my next project.

------------------
88GT 355 CI, AED HO 750 Double Pumper, AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 360 WHP, F40 6-Spd
anderson@gdsconsulting.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have Quick Jacks and recommend them. No more jacks or jack stands.
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If your need is "portability" then these lifts will end of using jack stands BUT you'll still be rolling around on a creeper....

I installed a two-post auto lift years ago and I'm very, very happy and enjoy it often!

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 11:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Tks.

Am thinking of 2 post MaxJax as well

------------------
88GT 355 CI, AED HO 750 Double Pumper, AFR milled 180, Dyno'd at 427 HP, 360 WHP, F40 6-Spd

OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've been considering Quick jacks myself. Last week I found this on reddit:

How to lift a Pontiac Fiero with the QuickJack BendPak Portable Car Lift

This was not written by me; I have no knowledge of the author. But it is a very detailed article, very well written, very informative. definitely worth a read.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

If your need is "portability" then these lifts will end of using jack stands BUT you'll still be rolling around on a creeper....

I installed a two-post auto lift years ago and I'm very, very happy and enjoy it often!

Priorities! Haha...

House isn't built yet... but damn if I'm not getting my lift installed first!!!
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2024 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
FYI Todd - The photo was taken in 1993 when I started building my 1,860 ft² garage and yes, my first priority was the garage....

The story on the auto lift:

My girlfriend's sister’s boyfriend’s brother had a shop with four auto lifts which he moved into a smaller building.
He stored the ‘extra’ lift at his home and well, over the years, his wife wanted the lift ‘gone’ from their backyard.
As a result, one fine day he needed to move the lift swiftly and I offered a ‘perfect spot’ - my future garage!

Hence, I got a free auto lift before I formed and poured my garage slab…..

As today in 2024, the house and the garage totals roughly 4,720 square feet and yes, I STILL spend allot of time in my garage!

[This message has been edited by Vintage-Nut (edited 02-26-2024).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 06:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been wanting a lift as well, but my garage is tight and my wife insists on parking her Murano in the garage from Nov - Mar. A permanent solution that would not be in the way of her parking her Murano is a single post car lift like this:

http://www.amgohyd.com/lift...emid_94_lcid_38.html

Here is a proposed layout of it with a fiero (centered for lifting with engine/transmission).

I would want to recess it in the floor to help keep it out of the way when not in use.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 07:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

FYI Todd - The photo was taken in 1993 when I started building my 1,860 ft² garage and yes, my first priority was the garage....

The story on the auto lift:

My girlfriend's sister’s boyfriend’s brother had a shop with four auto lifts which he moved into a smaller building.
He stored the ‘extra’ lift at his home and well, over the years, his wife wanted the lift ‘gone’ from their backyard.
As a result, one fine day he needed to move the lift swiftly and I offered a ‘perfect spot’ - my future garage!

Hence, I got a free auto lift before I formed and poured my garage slab…..

As today in 2024, the house and the garage totals roughly 4,720 square feet and yes, I STILL spend allot of time in my garage!

I think I remember you telling that story, and it's awesome. I've always wanted a lift in my garage, but the last home I had which had the clearance for it... well, I only lived there for four years (knowing I would have to move again) so I didn't bother. I'd totally do it in this house... but it's a detached garage and the ceiling is not high at all. Much shorter ceiling than pretty much any garage I've had before. It's a 3-car, but all the bays are tight together. :/

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I have been wanting a lift as well, but my garage is tight and my wife insists on parking her Murano in the garage from Nov - Mar. A permanent solution that would not be in the way of her parking her Murano is a single post car lift like this:

Here is a proposed layout of it with a fiero (centered for lifting with engine/transmission).

I would want to recess it in the floor to help keep it out of the way when not in use.

I like that you saved space for a urinal in the upper left-hand corner. Every man needs a urinal in their house. I told my wife that when I redo the master bathroom, I'm installing one... and she told me the only place I could have one is in the garage.

(Note: I realize it's not a urinal, but you should totally put one in there)

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I'm pretty sure I'm going with the MaxJax because of the portability. Each post has casters. I've watched a video of the post being removed and relocated in five minutes.

The only down side I've learned is that the lift is either up or down, no in between positions such as working on brakes. In that case, I'd use the lift to raise the car and then place jackstands in correct positions. One Amazon reviewer added more holes for the locking bars.

Amazon reviews are generally poor.

The negative reviews center around hydraulic leaks and cylinder leaks/issues.

PS: The MaxJax site has numerous reviews with the majority all high ratings. MaxJax Reviews
------------------

[This message has been edited by V8Steve (edited 02-27-2024).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Electric or Hydraulic?

V8Steve:
The only down side I've learned is that the lift {MaxJax} is either up or down, no in between positions such as working on brakes. In that case, I'd use the lift to raise the car and then place jackstands in correct positions. One Amazon reviewer added more holes for the locking bars.

YES - as a safety rule, never trust a hydraulic jack/lift to 'hold' the load - ALWAYS put solid supports!
Drilling more holes on the MaxJax column for 'locking positions' is a good idea!

Electric Lifts:
Lower maintenance requirements, simplicity of their design leads to increased safety.
One notable limitation is the somewhat 'jerky' operation for a precise height....

Hydraulic Lifts:
Remarkably smooth and significant advantage when precision is required, however they're slower...
Limitations - more complex, which can lead to more potential points of failure and fluid leaks, thus a higher likelihood of maintenance/repairs.

I have both systems and as an auto lift, personally like electric over hydraulic.
PFF
System Bot
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I agree. Apparently the latest MaxJax has 7 position holes.

This design is the only portable one around and one can unbolt the posts and roll them away like a handtruck. Unfortunately it's hydraulic.

I have extensive hydraulic experience and know enough not to trust them. For example, suppose a hose suffers a sudden burst when the vehicle is being raised?

I've made dozens of hoses for my tractor, running at 2500 PSI and have never even had a leak. If I suspect the hoses and connectors are inferior at the outset, I'll replace every one of them.

Ordered unit today.

The slab or shop floor requirement is 2500-3000 PSI 4.25" thick concrete. The contractor whose Dad poured it 27 years ago cannot confirm what I have. So, we're putting in two 4'x4' x12" mounting pads with #4 rebar and 4000 psi mix. Better safe than sorry.

------------------

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

V8Steve:
So, we're putting in two 4'x4' x12" mounting pads with #4 rebar and 4000 psi mix.
Better safe than sorry.

Awesome!
87GT3800SC5SPD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2024 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GT3800SC5SPDSend a Private Message to 87GT3800SC5SPDEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by OldGuyinaGT:

I've been considering Quick jacks myself. Last week I found this on reddit:

How to lift a Pontiac Fiero with the QuickJack BendPak Portable Car Lift

This was not written by me; I have no knowledge of the author. But it is a very detailed article, very well written, very informative. definitely worth a read.

It is important to note that the author of the article failed to read or follow all of the instructions for the Quick Jacks.

The pictures show the Fiero is lifted with the end of the Quick Jacks having the Quick Jacks labels, to the front of the Fiero. It is clearly stated in the instructions, that the labeled end of the Quick Jacks is to go toward the "heavier" end of the vehicle. The illustration of the Porsche on the Quick Jacks is also incorrect. The author also states that the Quick Jacks move "forward" when raised. The Quick Jacks actually move toward the labeled end of the jacks, which should be pointed to the heavier end of the car.

The author also included a picture to illustrate that the Quick Jacks are to be parallel to each other, then notes that they should be "as parallel as possible". With the use of a simple tape measure, it is possible to play them "exactly" parallel, so that they are both going the same direction. This simple step goes a long way toward ensuring the jacks are stable with the car raised.

Most of the Fiero lifting points in the multicolored illustration are not accessible with the Quick Jacks.

The instructions provided by Quick Jacks are clearly written and worth reading and following, for both assembly and use, before lifting your car off the ground.

[This message has been edited by 87GT3800SC5SPD (edited 02-27-2024).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post03-09-2024 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've had my Maxjax for a couple years. I love it. I bought two sets of anchors so that I could move it from one side of the garage to the other if needed. The only negative thing I can say about them is that the connections to the hydraulic rams wasn't well thought out. If you use the hardware supplied, you'll end up with a leak at that point. It's difficult to get tools in place, plus you can't fully tighten the connectors and have them line up. If you tighten it properly, you can't access the quick connect. I just went to a hydraulic supplier and they put together a new connector for me. Easier to install and eliminated any leaks. Minor issue for a great lift.
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2024 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the tip about the hose connectors. It seems to be a common complaint.

In the past I've made plenty of my own hoses and quick disconnect arrangements so I'll do whatever is needed to work around any problems.

------------------

V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2024 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

V8Steve

294 posts
Member since Jun 2003
My new project is awaiting the lift:

------------------

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2024 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That has to be the sexiest car ever built.

We're watching you Steve.

No late night visits are allowed without proper courtship.

Archie
V8Steve

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2024 11:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for V8SteveClick Here to visit V8Steve's HomePageSend a Private Message to V8SteveEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Post Spacing for Fiero - It would be helpful if any MaxJax Fiero users had information on the spacing of the posts.

------------------

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock