Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  To engine swap or not to engine swap (Page 2)

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
Previous Page | Next Page
next newest topic | next oldest topic
To engine swap or not to engine swap by Nasta
Started on: 02-07-2024 10:06 AM
Replies: 46 (788 views)
Last post by: lou_dias on 04-19-2024 11:01 AM
richard in nc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2024 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for richard in ncSend a Private Message to richard in ncEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Relocating the Starter is the trickiest part; you (or your mechanic) will need this:
3.4 V6 Swap Starter Relocation Jig Kit
https://rodneydickman.com/p...a49c010c38d1eae18d88

this is a little more difficult than i thought but doable.
IP: Logged
MulletproofMonk

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post04-04-2024 03:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MulletproofMonkClick Here to visit MulletproofMonk's HomePageSend a Private Message to MulletproofMonkEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I thought I remembered a post that someone got a 3.4 block that didn't have the spot to redrill the starter mount. Does anyone remember that? I can't seem to find the post.

Best of luck on your swap. I did a 3800na and loved it until she got totaled out...

------------------
-Brian

My 87 GT Poly Suspension Upgrade (all pics) thread
Removing the roof panel
My HUD install thread
Modified stock air canister and base to 3.5 inch for 3800na

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by richard in nc:

this is a little more difficult than i thought but doable.

My friend did this using Rodney Dickman's kit that I bought... and while he's pretty experienced in all things cars... he didn't seem to think it was that difficult. He did it so that he could fit one of those engines in a Citation X/11. The hardest part I think is going to be actually drilling the hole... but Rodney's jig is pretty solid.

Nasta, if you're not in too much of a rush, once my daughter finally gets her engine put back together, I'm going to make her work on my V6/60 (which is a 3.4). We'll be making a "how to" video. Her videos are really in-depth, and even though she's 15, they're not a joke... she explains stuff really well and does her research. I expect this to be in a couple of months.

What I will say is... Rodney's instructions are very clear, and the "jig" is solid. It's basically, drill a hole and tap it, and then tap an existing hole. And you move the jig around (while bolting it down with supplied bolts) for the different actions you'll undertake. He provides everything... the bolts, the jig, the drill bit, even the tapping die. The only thing he doesn't provide is the WD-40 for the drilling and tapping.
Nasta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NastaSend a Private Message to NastaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:
My friend did this using Rodney Dickman's kit that I bought... and while he's pretty experienced in all things cars... he didn't seem to think it was that difficult. He did it so that he could fit one of those engines in a Citation X/11. The hardest part I think is going to be actually drilling the hole... but Rodney's jig is pretty solid.

Nasta, if you're not in too much of a rush, once my daughter finally gets her engine put back together, I'm going to make her work on my V6/60 (which is a 3.4). We'll be making a "how to" video. Her videos are really in-depth, and even though she's 15, they're not a joke... she explains stuff really well and does her research. I expect this to be in a couple of months.

What I will say is... Rodney's instructions are very clear, and the "jig" is solid. It's basically, drill a hole and tap it, and then tap an existing hole. And you move the jig around (while bolting it down with supplied bolts) for the different actions you'll undertake. He provides everything... the bolts, the jig, the drill bit, even the tapping die. The only thing he doesn't provide is the WD-40 for the drilling and tapping.

Thanks I'll check it out, my DCC9 is backordered until June 10 but I will be having a mechanic do the work, I have neither the tools nor a location.

After everything I went through with the 2.8, paid $3800 for the heads alone only to have more issues pop up with valves. I will get the 2.8 complete later in the year and professionally done to sell and recoup some of the cost.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2024 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nasta:

Thanks I'll check it out, my DCC9 is backordered until June 10 but I will be having a mechanic do the work, I have neither the tools nor a location.

After everything I went through with the 2.8, paid $3800 for the heads alone only to have more issues pop up with valves. I will get the 2.8 complete later in the year and professionally done to sell and recoup some of the cost.

You will not be sorry with the DCC9. If you want your car to look stock... the 3.4 V6/60 is a perfect and cost-effective upgrade.
Nasta

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2024 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NastaSend a Private Message to NastaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I got the DCC9 coming, but addition parts I need to buy... I know I need to get #17 fuel injectors but, the fuel rail from the 2.8 is good? What exactly do I need to search up to find the right #17 injectors for the DCC9 and is there any other part that I need that won't just come with the long block?
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post04-19-2024 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
you could spend a few more bucks and do this:
http://www.fierosound.com/34engine/3400details.htm

Many benefits over the older block. Better performance. No drilling requiered...though shaving the front engine mount is as is plugging a hole in the water pump cover.
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 
next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock