What Grade Gas do I Use? by BruhMans06
Started on: 12-11-2023 09:45 AM
Replies: 7 (263 views)
Last post by: fierobear on 12-18-2023 09:55 PM
BruhMans06

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BruhMans06Send a Private Message to BruhMans06Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally got my fiero running but it runs like **** since i haven't fully figured out the ignition timing but im not worried about that.

I hear gas from around the 80s was a higher grade than gas is today and I dont want the car to knock. so im wondering if I should use 87 octane or 93.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lowest octane available is fine to use. Higher octane is usually used on high compression or turbo engines. The rule of thumb (unless it's specified by the manufacturer) is to use the lowest octane that doesn't cause pre-detonation (knocking).... which you will hear if it is happening.

[This message has been edited by Neils88 (edited 12-11-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BruhMans06:
I finally got my fiero running but it runs like **** since i haven't fully figured out the ignition timing but im not worried about that.

For me, Ignition Timing is First than worrying about a grade of gasoline!

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
87 in the US.
91 in some others.
Same gas but use different math to label octane on the station pump.

Yes, fix timing or other ignition problems fast. That will cause big problem(s) even use max octane available.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

BruhMans06

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruhMans06Send a Private Message to BruhMans06Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah im not planning on running the engine much until I deal with the ignition timing, as well as the extremely worryingly loud screeching that emits from the engine. that's another issue I wish to know about, the engine screeches inconsistently when it idles, usually when you step on the gas and its worrying me quite a bit. Im hoping its the serpentine belt since I was having trouble tightening the alternator down. Also the thermostat housing continues to leak profusely, and since I cant find the right gasket for it (its the second iteration of the housing) imma see if I can just pack it with gasket maker and hope it works.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BruhMans06:

Make sure to have the ALDL jumper in place when using a timing light.

Originally posted by BruhMans06:

...the extremely worryingly loud screeching that emits from the engine. that's another issue I wish to know about, the engine screeches inconsistently when it idles, usually when you step on the gas and its worrying me quite a bit. Im hoping its the serpentine belt since I was having trouble tightening the alternator down.

The best money you'll ever spend on a 2.8 Fiero... Here.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 12-12-2023).]

rebeck02

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2023 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rebeck02Send a Private Message to rebeck02Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ditto that Patrick! reb
fierobear

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 383
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2023 09:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierobearSend a Private Message to fierobearEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I drove my 88GT 5 speed for several years for a job where I was doing 140+ miles a day on average. I regularly checked my gas mileage, and did that with 87 and 89 octane. My car ran better and got better gas mileage (more than the price per gallon difference, even in California) with 89. Don't be afraid to experiment with what your car likes the best.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock