UV sealant for headlights by BingB
Started on: 11-24-2023 10:25 AM
Replies: 12 (174 views)
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 11-25-2023 11:25 AM
BingB

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have everything I need to refinish my headlights (sandpaper, polish, tools) except the UV sealant that is supposed to preserve the surface. I have looked online but all I find are the kits that include all the stuff I already have. Or else there are "one-step" cleaners/polish type stuff.

Anyone know what is in that stuff? It smells like a solvent. Acetone?

I don't really know chemistry. So explain it in simple terms.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You lost me on this one. Fiero headlights are glass and don't require any protection.
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

You lost me on this one. Fiero headlights are glass and don't require any protection.

Maybe a spam / scam account, and they don't know that Fieros have glass headlights?

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 11-24-2023).]

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have not seen my car. Maybe I have fabricated a custom front facia with plastic headlamps.

But since I am sure I will be posting a picture some day I might as well be honest. This is not for my Fiero. Just seemed like the most tech traffic in this forum.

Mods can delete if necessary.
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Most UV is knocked out with a yellow tinting to a clear coat.
ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 12:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BingB:

You have not seen my car. Maybe I have fabricated a custom front facia with plastic headlamps.

But since I am sure I will be posting a picture some day I might as well be honest. This is not for my Fiero. Just seemed like the most tech traffic in this forum.

that would have been good information to include from the start. I'm sure there were a number of confused people.
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

At least you're honest. As far as plastic restore goes, almost every kit is exactly the same. The only way I've restored headlights and this was without a kit.....I wetsand the lenses with 450grit, 800, 1000, and finally 2000. Then I spray an automotive clearcoat on the headlight and buff it out to be like glass.The automotive grade clearcoat is UV resistant and keeps the plastic from clouding. If you're in a pinch, you can get Spraymax clear but you HAVE to wear a respirator as it is very dangerous to inhale since it is a true automotive 2 part spray.
https://www.amazon.com/Spra...id=1700854723&sr=8-4
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Just wrong section. Most times for other vehicles people ask in Totally O/T.

Even w/ right stuff to fix yellow or fogy old HL... Often only work for a short time if they work @ all. Worse if done before. Plastic HL have very little plastic to remove before can get very weak & have problems requiring replacement that often Cost a lot.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you for all the information. Sorry about wrong forum.

I don't post much, but I read a lot. I know there are a lot of guys here who know a lot about repairing/restoring/preserving old cars, and the knowledge goes way beyond just Fieros. From now on I will post questions like this in O/T, just didn't know if all the tech guys traffic that forum.
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2023 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

BingB

1111 posts
Member since Nov 2023

At least you're honest. As far as plastic restore goes, almost every kit is exactly the same. The only way I've restored headlights and this was without a kit.....I wetsand the lenses with 450grit, 800, 1000, and finally 2000. Then I spray an automotive clearcoat on the headlight and buff it out to be like glass.The automotive grade clearcoat is UV resistant and keeps the plastic from clouding. If you're in a pinch, you can get Spraymax clear but you HAVE to wear a respirator as it is very dangerous to inhale since it is a true automotive 2 part spray.
https://www.amazon.com/Spra...id=1700854723&sr=8-4

Do you buff/polish after the 2000 and before the clearcoat?

How many coats of the clearcoat? Let's say Spraymax (since I am usually in a pinch).

IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Do you buff/polish after the 2000 and before the clearcoat?

How many coats of the clearcoat? Let's say Spraymax (since I am usually in a pinch).

I don't buff after the 2000 because at that point, the scratches are so fine that the clearcoat fills in the voids and comes out clear. You can tell what the final product will look like by simply using water. If the lens looks nice with a film of water on it then it will look great with clearcoat.

Usually 2-3 coats of clear. If you're good with painting, it will come out like glass since the Spraymax is a true urethane paint. You have to spray a light coat, let it tack up, then a semi-wet coat, let it tack, and then a wet coat. Have you ever used Spraymax paints?
PFF
System Bot
BingB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BingBSend a Private Message to BingBEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Have you ever used Spraymax paints?

No. Is there a video I can watch?

It has gotten to the point that even when I think I know how to do something I will check out a video for tips to make it easier.

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2023 11:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I mean, it's not my message board, and I don't mind either way. But there have been some scam accounts that have joined lately that ask totally irrelevant questions, and then try to sell parts to people in the for sale section, but never actually send anything after cashing the money. I would have just started with "Hey guys, I have a set of headlights on this car that are plastic, how can I refinish them?"

For the headlights, I restore Swiss / German / French / whatever watches in my spare time... ones that came from the 60s / 70s, all of which use acrylic "crystals" for the glass face of the watch. The way you repair those is the same as you would a plastic headlight. You basically start with course grain sandpaper to sand down the face of the (in this case) headlight. I usually start with something like a 500 grit to get rid of any scratches or bug-etched acid holes. Then when I've completely destroyed the headlight (or so it seems), I then go to 1000 grit, then 2000 grit, and then 3000 grit. You can even go 5000 grit if you want, but probably not worth the effort. At this point, the headlight will actually start to look halfway decent, but just a little cloudy. You then finish it off with a polishing compound. For watches I use a special acrylic polish... but for a car, you'll be better off using something that's a bit cheaper since you'll be using a lot more of it. You do not want to get a normal "polish" that's used for paint or some such, because that simply doesn't have the grit necessary to actually polish the plastic... so get something that is MEANT for plastic, like this: https://www.amazon.com/Megu...olish/dp/B0000AY3SR/

Use that with a power drill attachment, or an orbital buffing wheel if you have one.

After that, I'm not sure if you really need to bother sealing it... because it's usually going to yellow, or... it's going to make it much harder to polish after the fact. You can then just go polish your headlight once every 6 months or so... and it'll look like brand new.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock