Changing color of climate control with a 3D printer by Riddick85
Started on: 10-11-2023 02:14 PM
Replies: 11 (362 views)
Last post by: underdog32 on 05-03-2024 11:25 PM
Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2023 02:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I am finally back to working on my car after a 3-4 year break because life happens but I picked up a new hobby, 3D printing. Anyway, I tried to do this something like 8 years ago with colored transparency paper and a regular printer but it never came out well. With a 3Dprinter, I can make any shape I want so I tried my hand at an old project. I tried to update it to a more modern look and I think I did an alright job. Looking for critiques that I could change to make it better.

The panel is made with 3 colored plastics since I have a color changer on my printer. Main body is black and 6 layers thick. 2 layers of white for the icons and 4 layers of clear under the icons. All the plastic is ABS so I wont have to worry about it melting in the heat of summer but I haven't tested that yet either. It is made so I can change the bulb to any color led I want and it would shine through that color and I obviously like blue.

There were many trial runs to get it right but I think it came out good in the end.

[This message has been edited by Riddick85 (edited 10-12-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rbell2915

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2023 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rbell2915Send a Private Message to rbell2915Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice work! I'd like to see it installed!
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2023 04:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Riddick85:

Looking for critiques...

Okay... embed the images in your post using the Upload Media button. (It's located at the lower left corner of the message upload box.)
Wichita

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2023 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's fantastic. Great work.
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2023 01:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Okay... embed the images in your post using the Upload Media button. (It's located at the lower left corner of the message upload box.)

Probably the best critique I will receive in this post That was not a thing when I posted last on this forum so that is sweet! I edited the original post.

Got the panel installed today before work and I think it turned out pretty good.

The one with the stock light bulb looks pretty yellow so if I want to go that way, a white led is a must.

I think the arc near the fan control is a little close to the knob so I will probably change that but I like it so far. I just got to get in some driving before it gets to cold and I have to put it away.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2023 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Pretty cool!
bandi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2023 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for bandiSend a Private Message to bandiEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
That's ridiculously cool!
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2023 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is very cool! I personally still prefer the red, but it looks really good in blue, I'm super impressed.
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 03:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I appreciate all the kind words. I personally love it. Since it was the only thing in the interior that was hard to change the color of to something other than red, it definitely makes it feel more complete.

On another note, someone at work suggested I see if anyone else would be interested in them. I am not sure if it would be up to the standard of anyone else and I haven't tested it in the summer heat yet but who knows.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I appreciate all the kind words. I personally love it. Since it was the only thing in the interior that was hard to change the color of to something other than red, it definitely makes it feel more complete.

On another note, someone at work suggested I see if anyone else would be interested in them. I am not sure if it would be up to the standard of anyone else and I haven't tested it in the summer heat yet but who knows.

Hi Riddick, I would definitely be interested in one. If I recall, it was just a piece of plastic flexible sheething that would slide in there. I assume yours is a bit thicker. Does it require me to cut / modify anything, or does it slip in like the original?

Thanks!
Riddick85

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2023 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The stock one is just a thin sheet about .5mm thick. Mine is about 1mm thick but it fits just the same. There is a clear plastic piece behind it that has an orange spot that needs to be removed with some acetone but then just throw an LED in and its the new color.

Clear plastic inside the climate control

Orange spot is just paint on the plastic in the hole and the LED sits there
PFF
System Bot
underdog32

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-03-2024 11:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for underdog32Send a Private Message to underdog32Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I am finally back to working on my car after a 3-4 year break because life happens but I picked up a new hobby, 3D printing. Anyway, I tried to do this something like 8 years ago with colored transparency paper and a regular printer but it never came out well. With a 3Dprinter, I can make any shape I want so I tried my hand at an old project. I tried to update it to a more modern look and I think I did an alright job. Looking for critiques that I could change to make it better.

The panel is made with 3 colored plastics since I have a color changer on my printer. Main body is black and 6 layers thick. 2 layers of white for the icons and 4 layers of clear under the icons. All the plastic is ABS so I wont have to worry about it melting in the heat of summer but I haven't tested that yet either. It is made so I can change the bulb to any color led I want and it would shine through that color and I obviously like blue.

There were many trial runs to get it right but I think it came out good in the end.

Did this project go anywhere? I'm looking to change mine to blue too. We're you going to sell these? If not, would you mind sharing the stl so I could print one for myself?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock