Started on: 08-24-2023 08:43 AM
Replies: 19 (244 views)
Last post by: phonedawgz on 09-04-2023 12:36 PM
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello,

Purchased one of these not that long ago and I tried setting it up last weekend.

Drivers installed correctly as per the documentation, the computer seems to recognized the unit when it is plugged in however zero communication between the computer and the car. In fact the test routine in Tuner RT also fails (device not connected error) - also tried the terminal program that came with the unit as indicated in the documentation and that also will not communicate with the unit.

COM port is selected correctly.

No real contact back from them as to a possible solution. I am beginning to wonder if the unit itself is defective.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-24-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sleek fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If I remember you have to push the double arrow to initiate communication. sleek
the double arrow is on the headerbar on the right hand side about 3 or 4 icons in

[This message has been edited by sleek fiero (edited 08-24-2023).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sleek fiero:

If I remember you have to push the double arrow to initiate communication. sleek
the double arrow is on the headerbar on the right hand side about 3 or 4 icons in

Hello, yes, I have clicked that. The box in the lower right turns pink in color while connecting - but never connects (box turn not turn blue).

sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 11:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yes mine gave me problems with cables. I had to get a ALDL / Ethernet cable and then get a ethernet /USB adaptor to connect my laptop . that was the only way I could get communication to start.
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 11:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
What ecm do you have? What bin,adx and xdf files are you using?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jdv:

What ecm do you have? What bin,adx and xdf files are you using?

88 GT ECM and yes I am using the correct Fiero 2.8l files. The problem is that there is no communication between the unit and the software. The software does not see the adaptor cable. The computer recognizes it and the drivers are installed, but the software Tuner Pro and RealTerm will not communicate with it. Cable not found error (yes, the cable is NOT connected to the car as indicated for the test).

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 12:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Mickey_Moose

7501 posts
Member since May 2001
Also to add - I tried a different computer with the same results.

Edit: my hand held scanner works fine - so the ALDL port on the car is functioning. I was just wanting to use the software so I can see all the info at once and not have to scroll.

But the issue seems to be between the cable and computer - not between the cable and the car.

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
When I first used WinALDL, I was using a Serial cable, and I had no problems connecting. At some point, I misplaced the Serial cable, and then got a USB cable to replace it.

I had a helluva time trying to get a connection with the USB cable! I had posted in This thread while I was still having problems. Phonedawgz mentioned in that thread that there was a potential driver issue.

In a thread Here that I had posted in later, it appeared the solution (for me) was to make sure the BAUD rate of 2400 was selected not only in the program settings, but also in the USB and/or COM settings within the OS.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 08-24-2023).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

When I first used WinALDL, I was using a Serial cable, and I had no problems connecting. At some point, I misplaced the Serial cable, and then got a USB cable to replace it.

I had a helluva time trying to get a connection with the USB cable! I had posted in This thread while I was still having problems. Phonedawgz mentioned in that thread that there was a potential driver issue.

In a thread Here that I had posted in later, it appeared the solution (for me) was to make sure the BAUD rate of 2400 was selected not only in the program settings, but also in the USB and/or COM settings within the OS.

Thanks for the info.

Result = nothing changed.

tried different drivers (2.8.14.0, 2.12.0.0 and 2.12.36.4)
tried different baud rates on the computer

tried a 3rd computer - this one I already had Tuner RT installed as I was using it to look through the bin files - even used the .adx file that was already on that computer

Even tried downloading the driver from the website and installed those ones

Still nothing - I am really starting to suspect that something happened to the cable in transport?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-24-2023 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

Result = nothing changed.

Frustrating, eh!

Do you know anyone else in Edmonton that might use one of these cables? I imagine that any GM vehicle from that era would have the same OBD1 connector, so it wouldn't even have to be a Fiero owner that you'd need to connect with. Maybe you'd have some luck if you put some feelers out within the Edmonton car club/enthusiast community.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, spent a few more hours trying different things (including forcing a different com port) - still no luck and nothing but crickets from Red Devil.

Are these settings correct:

This all all the software does if I just try connecting to the car (tried with the jumper on and off):

At this point, I think I may have to file a complaint with PayPal - hate to but the ghosting is frustrating...

PFF
System Bot
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
IMO: This is a very bad sign when a company will not answer your questions....
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Did you try the tunerpro forum? Try gearhead.com they do ecm tuning and have been helpful in the past. I haven't done tuning in so long i have forgoten more than what I knew.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
*** update ***

ok, said **** it, and opened it up - discovered poor soldering inside, cleaned up the soldering and now it works.

The main culprit was the cathode side of RX LED had no connection, but cleaned up all the soldering as some of the others were questionable.

Not sure I would recommend anyone buying from them with the poor soldering and lack of after sale service/communication - probably better off buying from http://obd1.com/ but I wanted to support a fellow Fiero owner. Especially since it turned out that the unit was actually defective until I fixed it. For the record, you need soldering equipment that can handle SMD (surface mount) devices, which not everyone has.

Edit - to add I didn't even have to screw around with the driver's or anything (from my last attempt from above). Saw both LED flash when I plugged it in - ran RealTerm, and it responded, loaded up Tuner RT and now it passed the test - connected to the car and finally getting some data.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 08-26-2023).]

Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Made in China?

And yes, you're lucky to have SMD soldering equipment to fix it - Good Job!
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 03:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Vintage-Nut:

Made in China?

And yes, you're lucky to have SMD soldering equipment to fix it - Good Job!

No idea where it was made - didn't say China on the PCB, but it was silk screened with Red Devil LLC on it - I am assuming home built as the electronics case also wasn't cut out neatly for the cord/etc.
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used https://www.ebay.com/itm/32...HIRqULjHXSq1HgnufWIk Fmc1NWuSuxdaLL2NOPIyCULf%2FXkQmkR67KKgr%2B4EdsZqtzCjlWsQJbB9aEtZFfgDIERLicBngfl9SqmsoFzEBkqctp8cpJQ5%2BMZM%2BJJErHD0tp7KMW832a1ggr%2Bzbxhce8peRbfC1GMKBvhaQ%2F%2F6%7Ctkp%3ABFBMwozmusZi

But like I said have not tuned in years. Sold all my stuff.
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 05:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

jdv

652 posts
Member since Dec 2006
I have purchased the bluetooth setup from https://www.1320electronics.com/products.html
With this you can use adldroid https://www.aldldroid.com/ on a phone, tablet or andriod head unit but this is on the back burner while I recover from a car accident. Fiero not hurt.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2023 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:

ok, said **** it, and opened it up - discovered poor soldering inside, cleaned up the soldering and now it works.

The main culprit was the cathode side of RX LED had no connection, but cleaned up all the soldering as some of the others were questionable.

Good job!

Sorry to hear though that phonedawgz was less than helpful.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2023 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Phonedawgz here. Sorry for the trouble. It's been a busy time here and not sure where the communications failed. Glad to see you got it figured out.

I will try to do better in the future.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock