Stripped Deck Lid Holes by gregr75
Started on: 05-26-2023 02:55 PM
Replies: 7 (363 views)
Last post by: theogre on 05-29-2023 11:45 AM
gregr75

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2023 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hi All,

When removing the rear decklid, I did it myself instead of with a helper, and with the decklid in the high open position. The decklid fastens to the 2 hinges with 4 bolts. It started cocking after I removed the first 2 bolts, and I ended up stripping 2 out of 4 holes. I saw Rodney Dickman had a page noting this. I was gonna buy the kit, and was wondering why the "kit" is $0. Upon reading again, I think its more advice saying that I can just oversize tap to 3/8-16, no?

http://rodneydickman.com/pr....php?products_id=380

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jdv

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2023 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yes
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2023 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Unless you want to get deep into a fiberglass repair to access the nuts inside the decklid, you would be best to drill and tap for an oversized bolt. The current bolts are M8 (0.326") or slightly larger than 5/16" so upsizing to M10 (0.394") or 3/8" would work.
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2023 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Can this be Timeserted easily from the outside?
pmbrunelle

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2023 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

pmbrunelle

4372 posts
Member since Sep 2008

Originally posted by gregr75:Upon reading again, I think its more advice saying that I can just oversize tap to 3/8-16, no?

Whenever you do in-situ repairs, it's almost always going to be easier to use fine threads rather than coarse threads. Fine threads cut more easily.

So 3/8-24 UNF in this case, rather than 3/8-16 UNC.
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2023 12:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:

Never trusted timeserts. Just adds a second point of failure (second being the whole timesert can now pull out). Stick with a normal rethread.
gregr75

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2023 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gregr75Send a Private Message to gregr75Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
ok thanks.. this is doable
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2023 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pmbrunelle:
Isn't made for this. Nor are Helicoil and others.

Any "Captive" nuts and other form threads can hate over size bolts as well. More so if done wrong or in a hurry.

Sim problem w/ rear cradle bolts, hood bolts, and more.

Related: "Stamp Nuts" use for a lot of other things have to be replace when rusty or worn or screws etc will get loose and fall out. Like screws for marker lights.

Often the bad "nuts" can be replaces w/ any similar that can fit. Maybe need mod's to hold them.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock