"New" Here - some questions! by musicmansam
Started on: 05-24-2023 10:46 PM
Replies: 24 (517 views)
Last post by: Rhodesia1977 on 08-01-2023 11:35 AM
musicmansam

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
EDIT: Added some pics of my car as a new reply to introduce myself and my car

Hi everybody! I joined awhile back to do some research and when I owned my first "mistake" Fiero lol. Anyway, last week, I was finally able to purchase my dream car and the exact vehicle that got me into Fieros in the first place - an '88 5spd CJB Fiero. I am very excited to have this car and take care of it now.

That being said, the previous owner was getting up in age and busy with other things, so the car was kind of on the back burner for the last many years. While stored inside and still in very good condition, there are a few things here and there I'd like to do to get this car to really stand out again. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

1. I am looking for some gold valve stem caps. Some kids stole 2 of them off this car during the last ownership, and I really like the black/gold theme that is going on with it. I realized they might just be the chrome ones of TFS, but painted? Can anybody advise on that? See pics for reference.
2. Possibly looking for the rubber seal that goes around the trunk. Mine is ripped off on one side on the engine side. I could probably glue it, but would like to replace eventually.
3. What material are the original TTOP bags made out of - Leather or Vinyl? The ones I have are a little dusty so I'd like to clean them, but don't want to do anything that will jeopardize their construction. I tried to find a tag or something on them but no dice.
4. I am having a radio issue with the UX1 head unit. I was able to jiggle it around and change seemingly-good fuses today so there is more response than previously seen. Now, when I push the power button on/off, the speakers do a "blip" kind of noise, but nothing on the unit lights up. I can hear static on the speakers now when the unit is powered on, and when I change the balance, some speakers do crackle. Now that I have all this info, I am remembering some other topics that had this very similar issue, but any extra guidance is still appreciated while I try to find those old topics...

There are many other things I will do over the next few years, but these are the bigger things I'd like to do to get this car comfortably shown this summer already.

Again, thank you for any advice/input you may have!! I am new to owning a manual, and new to a real Fiero (my old one had a 3.4 swap done pretty roughly...), so I am excited to learn everything there is to learn.

Also - if this is the incorrect thread, please let me know and I will move it!!

------------------
-Sam

[This message has been edited by musicmansam (edited 06-20-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to the group. The first thing to remember is to say, "Hi. My name is Sam and I'm a Fiero addict." (We'll take you through the 12 steps later.)

1) Good luck with the valve stem caps. I think they are pretty rare but you may find them on eBay. I'm pretty sure they are after-market.

2) The Fiero Store is a good source of parts for our cars as is Rodney Dickman. Google either and search those sites. I've purchased two trunk seals from TFS in the past.

3) Pretty sure the T-Top covers are vinyl - at least the ones I've seen. (I'm not sure they were from CJB or not but I can't imagine them being leather). Look at the inside seams for confirmation.

4) IMO, the best bang for your buck, radio-wise, is to swap the stock UX1 radio with one for an early '90s radio from a Gran Prix. Chances are you'll find those will have a CD and 7-band equaliser. You can also find those that have been converted to take an input from an external phone, iPod, etc. The faceplate colour is the same as the UX1and the backlight colour matches the existing backlights on the UX1. Also, think about replacing the 4x10 speakers in the dash. You can find 4x10 co-axial speakers that work pretty well and if your car has the premium sound then the sound quality is better due to the factory amplifier and bass reflex speaker. Other than that, an aftermarket amp speaker is the go.

This forum usually is for technical issues and intros would go into General Fiero Chat but I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

Again, welcome to the Forum.

[This message has been edited by Mike in Sydney (edited 05-25-2023).]

Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 03:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome to our club! Those valve caps look cool. They are probably custom or after market. I've never seen any like those. Most of the guys on here know everything about these cars and are of great help for the less mechanically inclined people such as myself. I have a red 86 GT, all original and stock up here in freezing Michigan. Ya, check out the Fiero store. They have all kinds of neat stuff. Rodney Dickman has some cool stuff too. O recently purchased some struts for my rear decklid. They are awesome. Good luck!
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2023 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rhodesia1977:

Welcome to our club! Those valve caps look cool. They are probably custom or after market.

I zoomed in the best I could and the stamping appears to say "Made in USA US PATENT xxxxxxx" . Somebody was serious about copy prevention, etc. Hard to believe all 4 weren't stolen, if they're truly gold.
Perhaps they were made by Schrader Co.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 05-29-2023).]

fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2023 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

Welcome to the group. The first thing to remember is to say, "Hi. My name is Sam and I'm a Fiero addict." (We'll take you through the 12 steps later.)
4) IMO, the best bang for your buck, radio-wise, is to swap the stock UX1 radio with one for an early '90s radio from a Gran Prix. Chances are you'll find those will have a CD and 7-band equaliser. You can also find those that have been converted to take an input from an external phone, iPod, etc. The faceplate colour is the same as the UX1and the backlight colour matches the existing backlights on the UX1. Also, think about replacing the 4x10 speakers in the dash. You can find 4x10 co-axial speakers that work pretty well and if your car has the premium sound then the sound quality is better due to the factory amplifier and bass reflex speaker. Other than that, an aftermarket amp speaker is the go.

This forum usually is for technical issues and intros would go into General Fiero Chat but I don't think there's a hard and fast rule.

When upgrading to the later GM radios, almost any Pontiac model on up past 2000 will have the upgraded radio Mike mentions. It is a direct fit into the Fiero, has PONTIAC cast into the faceplate, and has the correct color lighting to match the Fiero's lighting. Go to replacementradios.com and crutchfield.com for radios, speakers, and conversion harnesses so you don't have to cut and splice radio and speaker wires.

Plug and play radio harness
https://replacementradios.c...72eb547f0236365bcd99

Plug and play speaker harness
https://www.crutchfield.com...rnesses.html?tp=3097

musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2023 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike in Sydney:

1) Good luck with the valve stem caps. I think they are pretty rare but you may find them on eBay. I'm pretty sure they are after-market.

2) The Fiero Store is a good source of parts for our cars as is Rodney Dickman. Google either and search those sites. I've purchased two trunk seals from TFS in the past.

3) Pretty sure the T-Top covers are vinyl - at least the ones I've seen. (I'm not sure they were from CJB or not but I can't imagine them being leather). Look at the inside seams for confirmation.

Thank you for all the good information! I will remember that first line in the future for sure...

All good info for 1-3, and it will help in my quest to bring this car back to 100%. I am personally trying to keep the vehicle as stock-looking as possible, so I'd prefer to have a stock Fiero radio, but also know that issues are to be had with these because, well, its a 30+ year old car. I may just get a slightly newer one for the time being until I can find someone/somewhere to get the old one back running again. Also thank you for the speaker recommendation - it hadn't really crossed my mind yet as things to do, and probably won't for another year or two, but will definitely be a good thing to have in mind soon.

Thank you again!

[This message has been edited by musicmansam (edited 05-30-2023).]

musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2023 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

musicmansam

24 posts
Member since May 2018

Originally posted by Rhodesia1977:

Welcome to our club! Those valve caps look cool. They are probably custom or after market. I've never seen any like those. Most of the guys on here know everything about these cars and are of great help for the less mechanically inclined people such as myself. I have a red 86 GT, all original and stock up here in freezing Michigan. Ya, check out the Fiero store. They have all kinds of neat stuff. Rodney Dickman has some cool stuff too. O recently purchased some struts for my rear decklid. They are awesome. Good luck!

Thank you for the warm welcome! I love the valve caps because they really do match the scheme of the rest of the car, so it stinks that I only have half of them! Hopefully someday I'll be able to find or source another set. Michigan is about the same weather as MN, so we are on the same page there

Thanks again for the good info and websites - I definitely have a lot to learn yet!
musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2023 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

musicmansam

24 posts
Member since May 2018

Originally posted by fierofool:

When upgrading to the later GM radios, almost any Pontiac model on up past 2000 will have the upgraded radio Mike mentions. It is a direct fit into the Fiero, has PONTIAC cast into the faceplate, and has the correct color lighting to match the Fiero's lighting. Go to replacementradios.com and crutchfield.com for radios, speakers, and conversion harnesses so you don't have to cut and splice radio and speaker wires.

Plug and play radio harness
https://replacementradios.c...72eb547f0236365bcd99

Plug and play speaker harness
https://www.crutchfield.com...rnesses.html?tp=3097

Thank you for the response! And for the links specifically - I had heard of others upgrading to newer units, but was not sure the best place to find one other than salvage yards as time goes on. It would definitely be nice to get everything in one place to ensure it all works together.

Thanks again!
musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2023 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey everybody! I had my first show last weekend (Back to the 80s in MN) which was the first time I revealed my car to the public and my family, so I figured I could show it off here a bit too! I'm so lucky to have this car and will enjoy the many memories to be made with it!! (and yes, it is a true CJB )

edit: sorry all, I know this is not the right forum to post this in but I didn't want to start a new one just for this with everything else I already posted above. Please excuse my newbie-ness here, I'll get better!

[This message has been edited by musicmansam (edited 06-20-2023).]

IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 252
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2023 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Now THAT is one gorgeous car. I love it.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by musicmansam:

CLICK FOR FULL SIZE

Damn, did John Delorean sign this Fiero as well?

That is one clean looking '88 GT. Is there any option it doesn't have? (It's even got the seat bladders!)
PFF
System Bot
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lmao Patrick you beat me to it, I was gonna post if that was john d sig as well! Beautiful car! The guy ive been getting parts from has an 86 w those seats.

shem
fredtoast

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2023 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fredtoastSend a Private Message to fredtoastEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Nice glove box.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fantastic looking!!!
musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Damn, did John Delorean sign this Fiero as well?

Hahahah good question, and it would be awesome if he did but...only Hulki on this one!

Originally posted by Patrick: That is one clean looking '88 GT. Is there any option it doesn't have? (It's even got the seat bladders!)

Thank you! The only option I am aware of that this does NOT have is the rear window defroster...but, with this only being a summer/show vehicle, I don't mind it too much

musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

musicmansam

24 posts
Member since May 2018

Originally posted by shemdogg:

Lmao Patrick you beat me to it, I was gonna post if that was john d sig as well! Beautiful car! The guy ive been getting parts from has an 86 w those seats.

shem

You guys are on the same wavelength Thank you!

Originally posted by fredtoast:

Nice glove box.

Thanks! I was not the one who installed it, but I didn't realize how much people nowadays really want them! Nice to have a little extra storage.

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Fantastic looking!!!

Thank you! Definitely not perfect at this time, but it's only little things so I am lucky to have such a great base to work with!
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2023 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by musicmansam:

Thank you! The only option I am aware of that this does NOT have is the rear window defroster...but, with this only being a summer/show vehicle, I don't mind it too much

The manual transmission was standard. So, it doesn't have the optional automatic. But Dayum, that's a beautiful combination! Black, Gold, and Beachwood.

GodSend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GodSendSend a Private Message to GodSendEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

That is one clean looking '88 GT. Is there any option it doesn't have? (It's even got the seat bladders!)

Leather seats...

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 02:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GodSend:

Leather seats...

You couldn't have leather seats with the seat air bladders. It was an either/or situation. Technically, I'd say the powered seat lumbar support is probably the rarer option. You can always reupholster those seats in the same leather style if they're ever jacked up.

It doesn't have rear window defrost, which I was very surprised about. It could be where the car was originally purchased from. I'd imagine people on the West Coast would be less likely to have a rear window defrost. This option tends to come almost standard on other Fiero models.

[This message has been edited by 82-T/A [At Work] (edited 06-22-2023).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I'd imagine people on the West Coast would be less likely to have a rear window defrost.

I suspect it's more of a north-south thing than east-west. Of the six Fieros I've owned, five had rear window defoggers, all Canadian cars... whereas the one Fiero without a rear window defogger, was originally from Knoxville, Tennessee.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect it's more of a north-south thing than east-west. Of the six Fieros I've owned, five had rear window defoggers, all Canadian cars... whereas the one Fiero without a rear window defogger, was originally from Knoxville, Tennessee.

I only said that because here in Florida, if you don't have a rear-window defogger during certain times, you just can't even see out the window. On the West Coast, it's extremely dry... almost no precipitation, and very little humidity (like in California)... where as in Florida, there's 100% humidity nearly every day. But I guess it's different if we're talking about snow versus defog... haha...

In Florida, we used to get a lot of Canadian cars in the junkyard... I even found a Pontiac FireFly Turbo once. But I always grabbed the guages from the Canadian cars because they were in KP/H and looked more European / cooler... haha. I mean, at the time, I was in my early 20s, so that meant something.
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

On the West Coast, it's extremely dry...

Not everyone on the "West Coast" resides in southern California.

sleek fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2023 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sleek fieroSend a Private Message to sleek fieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Todd in Florida you have so much humidity that I hear people get foot rot. Just kidding . Bill
musicmansam

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2023 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for musicmansamSend a Private Message to musicmansamEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofool:

The manual transmission was standard. So, it doesn't have the optional automatic. But Dayum, that's a beautiful combination! Black, Gold, and Beachwood.

Ahhh you are absolutely right! In my mind, "options" are the things that are sought after in today's age, and it seems the 5spd is less common and more wanted. But thank you! Its a winner combo for sure!

Originally posted by GodSend:
Leather seats...

Well, you got me as well...like 82 TA said, I feel again like lumbar is the less common and more sought after option, so the plain cloth is still a great "option" to me hahah

It doesn't have rear window defrost, which I was very surprised about. It could be where the car was originally purchased from. I'd imagine people on the West Coast would be less likely to have a rear window defrost. This option tends to come almost standard on other Fiero models.

As far as I know, it was purchased and has been in MN its entire life, which does seem odd to not have the defroster. But, hey, not wanted and not needed anyway

Rhodesia1977

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2023 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhodesia1977Send a Private Message to Rhodesia1977Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You know what would spruce up your engine? Polished aluminum oil filler cap cover from Fiero store. I just got one and it looks glorious!
Beautiful GT!!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock