Keep burning icm by Cannings
Started on: 05-23-2023 02:27 PM
Replies: 20 (311 views)
Last post by: Patrick on 06-28-2023 08:37 PM
Cannings

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’m new to the form. Not sure if I did the list right the last time but I’ll try again. I got the catalytic converter removed last year thinking that’s what where it was coming from. I was driving and the car quit. I could still smell the rottin egg smell and then I noticed the battery as swelled. I replaced the the icm battery and new coil. Next day same thing. I replaced the icm and battery. I took a volt meter to see if it was over charging but I didn’t notice it was by idiling turning a/c on and checking it like that. But something is making it over charge while I’m driving I’m thinking and burning i icm out. I did put in a new coil as well. So I’m thinking it could be the alternator I guess. But not too sure. Any thoughts ? Thanks Rennie
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dukesterpro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DukesterproSend a Private Message to DukesterproEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Im just gonna beat everyone to the punch here.

Get a multimeter, they are only a couple of bucks. Start the car and find out what voltage is pumping out. No point in throwing a 200$ alternator at a problem until you know for sure you actually have a issue there.

Keep us posted
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dukesterpro:

Im just gonna beat everyone to the punch here.

Get a multimeter, they are only a couple of bucks. Start the car and find out what voltage is pumping out. No point in throwing a 200$ alternator at a problem until you know for sure you actually have a issue there.

Keep us posted

I believe I did say that I checked the alternator in my post. So I’m no sure if it happens when I’m driving the car that it might be over charging then.
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cannings:

I took a volt meter to see if it was over charging but I didn’t notice it was by idiling turning a/c on and checking it like that.

What's the voltage reading when the engine is revved to 3000 or 4000 RPM?
David Hambleton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David HambletonSend a Private Message to David HambletonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Rennie; I'm stuck on you being a repressor...
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by David Hambleton:

Rennie; I'm stuck on you being a repressor...

Anyone that can’t meet there payments that has a Loan threw a bank that are months past payments. I go and reclaim the item for the lender. Bikes trucks cars boats . ECT. ( Repoman)
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cannings

10 posts
Member since May 2023

Originally posted by Patrick:

What's the voltage reading when the engine is revved to 3000 or 4000 RPM?

1237 with lights on and A/c on as well. Don’t change much at idle
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

But something is making it over charge while I’m driving

1237 with lights on and A/c on as well. Don’t change much at idle

12.37v.... and you think it's overcharging? That doesn't make any sense. With the engine running, the alternator should be supplying the battery with 14.6v

What's the battery voltage with the engine not running and nothing turned on?

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-23-2023).]

Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

12.37v.... and you think it's "overcharging"? That doesn't make any sense. With the engine running, the alternator should be supplying the battery with 14.6v.

I was thinking that the first time cause the battery was bulged , unless that happened in the winter. The other battery I bought just went dead . When I drive the second time with the new battery check engine light came on little longer car quit. That battery was low on volts and the icm was burnt out again.
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cannings

10 posts
Member since May 2023

12.37v.... and you think it's overcharging? That doesn't make any sense. With the engine running, the alternator should be supplying the battery with 14.6v

What's the battery voltage with the engine not running and nothing turned on?

1314 was it not running
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2023 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I suspect you have two issues.

Get the alternator checked.

The ICM can die due to several reasons. Lack of proper heat sink compound (thermal paste) between the ICM and distributor base and/or faulty pickup coil (not ignition coil) and/or simply a poor connection to the harness. There may be other reasons as well, but those are at the top of the list.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Have 2 post w/ same title. (Not a double post problem because added space in front of topic.)

Again, take the alternator out and test @ autozone etc.

SI alts "die" that seem to work and kill the battery.

Have alt problems can kill other things too or Ignition module is separate problem.

Full charge battery is 12.6 to 13v when engine Off.
Alt put out should be 14 to near 15 v when engine Runs.

DC volts w/ SI alts may lie if diode(s) short. Then see AC Volts that causes huge problems.
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok. It’s probably just better to put a new alt in I guess if I take it out . I hear that taking alternator's out of theses cars is not so easy.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hear that taking alternator's out of theses cars is not so easy.

Depends on the year, the engine, and the transmission... none of which has been stated.
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Right. Lol. That would help. My bad
It’s. 1985 Im not sure on the transmission
Cannings

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-24-2023 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CanningsSend a Private Message to CanningsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Cannings

10 posts
Member since May 2023
2.8 engine
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2023 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

2.8 engine

It’s. 1985 Im not sure on the transmission

Well, when you eventually figure out whether you have a clutch or not ... I'll tell you that it's a lot easier to swap out the alternator on these cars that have a manual transmission than it is with an automatic.

If you end up swapping out the alternator, perhaps upgrade from the original SI unit to a superior CS one. Very simple upgrade, plenty has been posted here about it.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 05-25-2023).]

Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2023 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I hear that taking alternator's out of theses cars is not so easy.

You heard correct, a few years ago a member spent xx hours trying to free an alternator from a 2.8 with automatic transmission. Sometime during the agony he accidentally dropped it. Probably got a bad cramp in his hand and it fell to the ground right through all the obstructions. The look on his face must have been priceless!!
Others had some much difficulty they would disassemble both the old and the replacement to get the job done. So much for the warranty.

Let us know how you make out. Also Youtube is your friend. Share your experience.

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

traceymac

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2023 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for traceymacSend a Private Message to traceymacEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, sorry to off topic on post, but you mentioned icm. have a 87 gt 2.8, started car drove around the block, as pulling up it idled down to 800 rpm( usually 1100) and died. now will turn over but no spark. no start. i noticed alot of corrosion when cap popped. bad pickup? or bad icm ?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2023 08:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One key point. All brands of ignition modules are not the same. IMO, some of the cheap imports are of questionable quality. AC Delco has been the most reliable brand but I've had luck with Standard Motor Parts as well. Installed properly with thermal grease these should work.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2023 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by traceymac:

Patrick, sorry to off topic on post, but you mentioned icm...

I responded in your thread.
PFF
System Bot

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock