3800sc - what is this belt tensioner? by sdgdf
Started on: 03-03-2023 11:17 PM
Replies: 7 (306 views)
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 03-06-2023 07:37 PM
sdgdf

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

What is this supercharger tensioner setup? It doesn’t look like what I usually see in pictures from the archives:

[This message has been edited by sdgdf (edited 03-03-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2023 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is the only picture I can find that shows the same setup for the supercharger belt and tensioner:

In this thread: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...060206-2-067126.html
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
don't know above setup....

Some engine swaps have "deleted" ac etc and use parts from Dorman and other 3rd party parts to have a pulley in same spot so rest of belt path/map still works.
Others have made "DIY" pulley and whatever mounting for same reason. They may even used an extra tensioner.

If a pulley has bad bearings etc, Might find a new pulley thru Dorman and others. Or just replace the bearing with some pulleys.

Example: Like many OE setups expect Hydro PS pump and Fiero doesn't need that but engine need a pulley in same spot or often major problem to rework the belt loops if can rework this at all. Most engines can't just use a small belt w/o ac compressor like 87+ Dukes covered in my Cave, Serpent Belt and other places.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Supercharger belt setup is mostly the same with different years/models. With 2 idlers and 1 tensioner. However in the last picture that looks to be a tensioner with a shorter "swingarm", same job but shorter range. If that is stock it should work.

Accessoiry belt setup is a whole different story. With PS/AC deleted and alternator relocated there are many different setups possible.
sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 09:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

don't know above setup....

Some engine swaps have "deleted" ac etc and use parts from Dorman and other 3rd party parts to have a pulley in same spot so rest of belt path/map still works.
Others have made "DIY" pulley and whatever mounting for same reason. They may even used an extra tensioner.

If a pulley has bad bearings etc, Might find a new pulley thru Dorman and others. Or just replace the bearing with some pulleys.

Example: Like many OE setups expect Hydro PS pump and Fiero doesn't need that but engine need a pulley in same spot or often major problem to rework the belt loops if can rework this at all. Most engines can't just use a small belt w/o ac compressor like 87+ Dukes covered in my Cave, Serpent Belt and other places.

Thanks, I was wondering what to do if I need to replace the tensioner. Belt that was on it was at the limit of the tensioner and not tight enough and squealing, I’m trying different belts to see if something works better. Part number might be stamped on it if I need to replace it?
sdgdf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sdgdfSend a Private Message to sdgdfEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

sdgdf

253 posts
Member since Sep 2012

Originally posted by Fie Ro:

Supercharger belt setup is mostly the same with different years/models. With 2 idlers and 1 tensioner. However in the last picture that looks to be a tensioner with a shorter "swingarm", same job but shorter range. If that is stock it should work.

Accessoiry belt setup is a whole different story. With PS/AC deleted and alternator relocated there are many different setups possible.

Ya I was wondering if a certain model or 2 with the 3800sc had this tensioner setup, curious if someone like Darth Fiero might know and chime in. Or if this was a custom setup some 3800sc people opted for years ago?
shemdogg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2023 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shemdoggSend a Private Message to shemdoggEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I deleted the PS and AC and moved my alternator where the PS was. Also put errthang on one belt, took a few tries to find the right size belt. There are charts online that show the total length, I think the one I used was on gates website. Search for serpentine belt size chart and youll eventually find what yer lookin fer.

shem
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2023 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sdgdf:

What is this supercharger tensioner setup?

Looks like it could be the belt idler and tensioner assembly from a C/H/G body car (Park Ave, Bonneville, Riviera, etc). This idler/tensioner setup is aluminum, but it sits higher on the engine and further forward - usually too far to fit in most Fiero swaps (depending on how low the engine/trans is mounted on the cradle). Usually don't fit without cutting away part of the deck lid hinge bracket.

It doesn’t look like what I usually see in pictures from the archives:

This one is a cast iron coil/dog-bone/idler/tensioner bracket from a W-body (Regal, Grand Prix, etc) that has had the coil pack and dog bone mount cut off.

-ryan

------------------
More is more. Less is not enough.

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay