Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Best "float charger" or trickle charger?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Best "float charger" or trickle charger? by 82-T/A [At Work]
Started on: 01-30-2023 01:29 PM
Replies: 18 (375 views)
Last post by: jdv on 02-05-2023 08:59 AM
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, semi-Fiero related. Would anyone be able to recommend the best trickle charger for a car that basically sits and almost never gets driven?

I've had several of them over the years, and they all fail pretty quickly.

The problem I seem to have is that they charge forever, and never shut off, and then eventually burn out. For example, I have a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX... 45-50k miles. It basically sits in the garage. Battery is totally dead, but it's less than 6 months old. The ECM itself creates a drain on the battery... as is the case with all modern cars. I have a battery charger that I bought from AutoZone, that even when the battery is fully charged, it seems to desire to charge it up to and beyond 14 volts... which is like... WTF?

I feel like this is way more complicated than it needs to be. What can I buy where I (after I revive this battery), I can just leave a trickle charger hooked up to keep the battery charged... and not worry about it overcharging (causing a fire) or burning out?

Thanks!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Trickle or Float chargers 24/7 for months to years kills them too.
Is also why many APC and other UPS for SOHO market and even Enterprise for Big Businesses using Gel Lead Acid batteries often die after 2-3 years max because they trickle charge to death.

Battery tender claims will "shut off" when reach full charge then monitor and change when needed.
Even then I don't leave it plugged in forever because I haven't had time to see if does shut off.

Note that Motorcycle and other w/ small batteries even die w/ many "trickle types" because most are made for "car batteries" and bigger and will over charge and "boil" out the water. So B-Tender and others make units for them w/ less amps.

Full charge battery ~ = 12.6 to 13.1
See my Cave, Battery

If can't/won't drive a vehicle every few days to a week max.... is better for many to disconnect the battery.
But many newer "cars" get pissed even then and even sets DTC or have other problems w/o power all of time.

Also if the battery dies on newer "cars," you may need to "reset" the PCM using "expert level" scan tool because many new "cars" track battery charge and more. IOW The PCM may still think has an Old/Dead battery and limit charging when you replace w/ a new battery. And most cheap scanners can't reset this function and new battery has problems too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Trickle or Float chargers 24/7 for months to years kills them too.
Is also why many APC and other UPS for SOHO market and even Enterprise for Big Businesses using Gel Lead Acid batteries often die after 2-3 years max because they trickle charge to death.

Battery tender claims will "shut off" when reach full charge then monitor and change when needed.
Even then I don't leave it plugged in forever because I haven't had time to see if does shut off.

Note that Motorcycle and other w/ small batteries even die w/ many "trickle types" because most are made for "car batteries" and bigger and will over charge and "boil" out the water. So B-Tender and others make units for them w/ less amps.

Full charge battery ~ = 12.6 to 13.1
See my Cave, Battery

If can't/won't drive a vehicle every few days to a week max.... is better for many to disconnect the battery.
But many newer "cars" get pissed even then and even sets DTC or have other problems w/o power all of time.

Also if the battery dies on newer "cars," you may need to "reset" the PCM using "expert level" scan tool because many new "cars" track battery charge and more. IOW The PCM may still think has an Old/Dead battery and limit charging when you replace w/ a new battery. And most cheap scanners can't reset this function and new battery has problems too.

Thanks Ogre... ok, I'll get a Battery Tender. I had one of those (green one) many years ago, and it worked well keeping my Fiero charged, but at some point it shorted out. I've had dozens of them since then, and they either just didn't work at all right from the get go, or burned out within a week or so.

The Crown Vic is old enough that it doesn't get fussy when disconnected, it just has to relearn some of the fine-tuned fuel conditions based on environment variables... and the radio pre-sets, haha.

Thanks!
Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I bought this cheap little thing a couple of years ago, and I've been happy with it. Does what it's supposed to do.

Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Hey guys, semi-Fiero related. Would anyone be able to recommend the best trickle charger for a car that basically sits and almost never gets driven?

I've had several of them over the years, and they all fail pretty quickly.

The problem I seem to have is that they charge forever, and never shut off, and then eventually burn out. For example, I have a 2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX... 45-50k miles. It basically sits in the garage. Battery is totally dead, but it's less than 6 months old. The ECM itself creates a drain on the battery... as is the case with all modern cars. I have a battery charger that I bought from AutoZone, that even when the battery is fully charged, it seems to desire to charge it up to and beyond 14 volts... which is like... WTF?

I feel like this is way more complicated than it needs to be. What can I buy where I (after I revive this battery), I can just leave a trickle charger hooked up to keep the battery charged... and not worry about it overcharging (causing a fire) or burning out?

Thanks!

I had good luck with the battery chargers that I've purchased from Aldi. (YMMV) Pretty solid performance and 3 modes and charging capability from 0.8 amps to 5.0 amps depending on the mode. It's not great for quick charging of a dead battery but will bring one back if it's not totally kaput overnight.

I keep the K12RS on one as well as one of my GT's that t gets started / driven infrequently while it's disassembled for restoration. The battery in the K12RS is a lithium battery that's now 4 years old. Could go any minute but it seems fine at present. The battery in the GT is an el-cheepo Walmart special that I put in the car before shipping to Australia in 2018. It, too, could go any minute but it seems fine at present.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks Ogre... ok, I'll get a Battery Tender. I had one of those (green one) many years ago, and it worked well keeping my Fiero charged, but at some point it shorted out. I've had dozens of them since then, and they either just didn't work at all right from the get go, or burned out within a week or so.
Small "wall wart" chargers don't like a dead battery. If low or dead then charge w/ a "real" 6-10a charger first to be > 12.4v or more.

If Battery Tender never has Green LED... Battery is dying or something sucking power and BT stays in charge mode. That could "burn up" the charger.

Other trickle/float charger can have same problem but most don't tell you and can't go by feel because weather/building temp too cold or by the time the case is hot, the guts are way hotter and dying/dead.

If you buy a disconnect switch etc... Do Not get them from Eflay Amacon etc because so many are poorly made or counterfeit etc. Buy from Jeggs or other Part stores.
Don't buy important parts from 3rd parties on some parts stores too.

Example: you often see this type: (also made side connect cables)

but many are made of zinc or worse and fail fast.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 06:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

If you buy a disconnect switch etc... Do Not get them from Eflay Amacon etc because so many are poorly made or counterfeit etc. Buy from Jeggs or other Part stores. Don't buy important parts from 3rd parties on some parts stores too... many are made of zinc or worse and fail fast.

What is there to "fail"? Do you mean they break or what? I use a couple that I bought ages ago off off eBay. They seem fine.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-30-2023 08:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:
What is there to "fail"? Do you mean they break or what? I use a couple that I bought ages ago off off eBay. They seem fine.
Zinc and other can see same "rust" because is Zinc to Lead and other metals. Coating/plating on them are often applied poorly or worse.
Above type can break where two parts are crimped because of weak metal. The screw, threaded hole or both can strip if used often or rust frozen.

That's if battery connections etc are good and stay tight. Zinc Melts Very Easily when have problems more so w/ the stater... Even OE starter w/ electrical, mechanical or both can draw 130A or more. Some have upgraded 1.7kw starter that draw more amps to start w/ a full charge battery. (1700w / 12.6V = 135A) Starters can draw even more Amps for a low battery or resistive wiring problems covered in my Cave, Electric Motors

You can find Brass/bronze units that are way better. More so in Fiero where "Water" and road crap have easy access to the OE battery and parts. Example: https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10320/10002/-1 or https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/10318/10002/-1
Both rated @ 500 Amps Surge & 125 Amps Continuous @ 12 Volts
OldGuyinaGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2023 12:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OldGuyinaGTSend a Private Message to OldGuyinaGTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have some experience with the Battery Tender Junior (800mA). We use one at work, not for a car, but for a small electric walk-behind forklift. It has a Group 35 automotive battery. It's built-in charger died decades ago, and we were seeing really short battery life when periodically charging it with an unregulated linear power supply.

We use this forklift only very occasionally, and after way too many battery replacements I finally bought the Battery Tender. I check it occasionally and it indicates that it shuts off now and again. It has been keeping the forklift operational on infrequent demand with the same battery now for the last couple of years, so I have at least some confidence in it.
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2023 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use this charger:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/p...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I keep my Fiero and WRX in the garage all winter and I just swap the charger between them every so often. A week on one car, than a week on the other, then I leave it off for a couple weeks.

It's a nice unit and it comes with a couple different kinds of terminal ends.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2023 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I use this one. I also have a very old version of the same thing, that has been going for years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00068XCQU/
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2023 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Note: Battery chargers and anything that has plugin to cig lighter, aux plugs...
Won't work on many newer vehicles because all "12v" plugs (and even USB Plugs) are disconnected after engine shut off.

Likely because Phones, Tablets and other things running/charging w/ engine off can kill a battery often in Hours sim to leaving HL On.

(I post this because above CTEK charger list this option on Amazon page and many don't read text with warning.)

This Feature is good when have Dash Cam and don't need to unplug it or install separate power "box" to shut off camera so won't kill the battery.
Because Dash Cams seem small to you but stay on and recording only take maybe 2 to 3 days to kill a battery enough won't start the car. A bit longer and battery under 11v and keep dropping "destroying" the battery.

If you drive everyday may not bother you... Many can't/won't do that or leave DC plug in over a weekend and find battery dead in Fiero and others.

You might charger very low battery but damage is done and will have problem in near future.
Larryinkc

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2023 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarryinkcSend a Private Message to LarryinkcEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have been using a Battery Minder for the past 10 years or so. It has settings for 2, 4 & 8 AMP and Flooded, AGM and GEL cell batteries. It was bit expensive but have saved more than it cost with the extended battery life. I use on 2 cars that don't get driven on a regular basis and an old Bolens garden tractor. I put it on each battery for 2 days the first of every month. I get at least 6 years on the car batteries and 5 on the tractor battery.

https://www.batteryminders.com/products/
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have used an electronic battery tender for a number of years with reasonable success. The brand is NOCO and I started out with the 1100 tender. I have since switched to a 3500 tender and am quite satisfied. These sell for about $50 each. I am certain that technology advances have occurred since I purchased my tenders and thus the model numbers are likely to have changed so pick one that suits your needs from the current web page.

Nelson
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-03-2023 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So in the process of getting the garage ready for my Fiero, I bought a row of steel hanging cabinets, painted the entire garage and started unpacking boxes from my move. So... I bought the Battery Tender base unit, not the simple plugin one, but the nicer one that supports a bit more load. I also bought a pretty nice 2.5 AMP charger that also does 6 / 12 / 24 with manual and automatic settings. I needed this charger so that I could bring the battery back from being completely dead (the other trickle chargers wouldn't even recognize it).

Well, after opening all the boxes, I found 4 more chargers, in the box... son of a *****. So I have 6 car chargers. I swear...
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Well, after opening all the boxes, I found 4 more chargers, in the box... son of a *****. So I have 6 car chargers. I swear...

The memory is the first thing to go...

At my age I getting a case of CRS (can't remember s**t).
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-04-2023 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Welcome to my world. I've got so much stuff, but I'm also way too disorganized. I'll know that I already have at least one other thingamabob, but because I can't locate it/them, I have to buy another one.

I suffer from CFS (can't find s**t).
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 05:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Welcome to my world. I've got so much stuff, but I'm also way too disorganized. I'll know that I already have at least one other thingamabob, but because I can't locate it/them, I have to buy another one.

I suffer from CFS (can't find s**t). [/QUOTE]

Been there. Done that. Got a T-shirt.
jdv

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2023 08:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jdvSend a Private Message to jdvEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Moving is fun. Glad to hear your getting the fiero back.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock