87 Getrag Vs 88 Getrag by pcwentworth
Started on: 01-28-2023 09:53 PM
Replies: 5 (310 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 02-06-2023 03:31 AM
pcwentworth

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-28-2023 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
OK, so I have a bit of a mystery I am hoping someone can help me with.

I have a getrag 5 speed I purchased In Spring. I sent it off to Mid West Transmissions to be rebuilt. (going into a 3800sc build) I dont know it it is an 87 or 88.

They was able to rebuild, however in the process they said they had to cut the fork out to get it off. I got it back rebuild. It has a fork in it, which looks like the 87 fork I got off ebay. How am I to know if it is the right fork?? Would an 87 one fit in an 88 transmissions??

Yes it has the dipstick.

Are the forks that much different? I understand the 88 fork is hard to get a hold of.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2023 11:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I can't answer your question. Hopefully someone who has experience with this issue can help. I just checked the factory service manual and it does indeed show 2 different forks but it does not say which one belongs to which transmission.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 01-29-2023).]

Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2023 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The early version uses a bushing on the bottom end and the 88 uses a roller bearing.
pcwentworth

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2023 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pcwentworthSend a Private Message to pcwentworthEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
My apologies if this is a stupid question, but would it be obvious if the wrong fork is in it?
Rick Vanderpool

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2023 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick VanderpoolSend a Private Message to Rick VanderpoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The wrong one won't fit. The early one has a larger end than the 88.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-06-2023 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Another easy way to tell:

I believe the old style fork went with the screw in oil dipstick and the new style fork went with the pull out dipstick.

Yes the two have different lower diameters/bushing.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock