Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Temperature Gauge Needle Goes Past 260 and Brake Indicator Remains After Start Up

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Temperature Gauge Needle Goes Past 260 and Brake Indicator Remains After Start Up by MERATIME
Started on: 01-16-2023 03:00 AM
Replies: 3 (184 views)
Last post by: MERATIME on 01-16-2023 10:03 PM
MERATIME

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 03:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MERATIMESend a Private Message to MERATIMEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hello All,

Yesterday, I started my 1987 Fiero GT / 5 Spd Manual and the temperature gauge needle went past the 260 mark and the brake light wouldn't go off after turning the ignition (The emergency brake lever was never applied). I wanted to also mention that my steering column has started to become loose. Could that be the cause of the this issue? Has anybody had any similar occurrences with their Fiero? I couldn't find any previous related topics. Any information related to this issue would be great. Thanks!

[This message has been edited by MERATIME (edited 01-16-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 10:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
1. brake light... See my Cave, Brake Light
even if never pulled the handle, light on is often w/o enough cable tension or lever switch is iffy

2. OE setup temp gauge pegs then stops during bulb test to start the car. May stay pegged when gauge is sticking. Example: parked outside letting car get cold can be enough extra binding to stay pegged.
Otherwise can be iffy wiring, sender, etc.
Warning: gauge wiring diagrams in FSM and others are missing things in the real circuit that could cause a peg gauge, non-op gauge, inaccurate gauge or other issues.

3. loose column doesn't cause above. If anything stops you starting the car, beam switch can't stay when hit the MF Lever, or both.
Is cause by user abuse making column damage and famous 4 bolts problem or other parts w/ problems.
See my Cave, Steering
Do Not use Red loctite on 4 bolts because often people still abuse the column and can't fix the problem.
#1 Rule is Do Not let S-wheel to slam when tilt lever is pulled or use it a handle to get in/out of car.

Note: I-key has 6 positions in most GM column and many others...
Acc, off & locked, off, on, bulb test, start.
Most never bothered but bulb test happens before and during starting. Turn the key very slowly to see this.
Often have column loose then can't reach Acc, Start or both reliably or not at all.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-16-2023).]

ArthurPeale

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArthurPealeSend a Private Message to ArthurPealeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

2. OE setup temp gauge pegs then stops during bulb test to start the car. May stay pegged when gauge is sticking. Example: parked outside letting car get cold can be enough extra binding to stay pegged.
Otherwise can be iffy wiring, sender, etc.
Warning: gauge wiring diagrams in FSM and others are missing things in the real circuit that could cause a peg gauge, non-op gauge, inaccurate gauge or other issues.

And, there is a fix for this. It involves swapping four wires at their connectors. Two are in the cluster, and two are in the engine bay.
MERATIME

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-16-2023 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MERATIMESend a Private Message to MERATIMEEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all very much. I appreciate you taking time to post solutions to this starting issue. Have a great 2023!

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock