Fiero Window Switch Cap Upgrade/Option by Drcomanche
Started on: 01-10-2023 12:12 AM
Replies: 9 (673 views)
Last post by: mmeyer86gt/gtp on 01-26-2023 10:44 AM
Drcomanche

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2023 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrcomancheSend a Private Message to DrcomancheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
So I've been looking for a while but basically gave up finding anything to help with my worn out(cracks where they were worn through), and discolored auto window switches. I have a few U pull it scrap yards near me, but Fieros are very rare (i.e. I've never seen one), but I did come across some other similar year GM cars(Corvette, Firebird). While I was removing a mirror from a gen 3 Firebird, I noticed that the window winder switches were in a similar location, albeit a slightly different mounting. I pulled them anyways since they looked to be about the correct size and took the 4 dollar chance. When I got home I was glad to find they are exactly the same shape and size while being a bit more robust and have some shape to them, which I found nice. I dismantled my old switches and cleaned them all out, regreased, and, after polishing them on my bench wheel, tossed the Firebird ones in. They are way stronger and have a much better appearance in my opinion. Just wanted to throw this info out there for anyone struggling with cracked switch caps.

It's also worth noting that gen 3 Firebird switches can be found new online, whereas fiero, not so much. That can give a couple more options to have good looking alternatives. The internals of the switch are the same as well, so they can be swapped out, too, if yours are worn or otherwise degraded. And as a bonus, the power mirror switch in these are the same as the fiero, too.

[This message has been edited by Drcomanche (edited 01-10-2023).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2023 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
👍

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2023 02:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Store sells new Fiero switches: https://www.fierostore.com/...rowse.aspx?d=345&p=1
Mike in Sydney

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2023 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike in SydneySend a Private Message to Mike in SydneyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Yeah, but they are pretty pricey. $50 USD for a pair. Ouch!
Spoon

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2023 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SpoonSend a Private Message to SpoonEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Plan 'C' plug & play alternative. No cleaning necessary. Don't try adding it to your cart here. Just in case!!

Spoon

------------------
"Kilgore Trout once wrote a short story which was a dialogue between two pieces of yeast. They were discussing the possible purposes of life as they ate sugar and suffocated in their own excrement. Because of their limited intelligence, they never came close to guessing that they were making champagne." - Kurt Vonnegut

[This message has been edited by Spoon (edited 01-10-2023).]

Wichita

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2023 12:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WichitaSend a Private Message to WichitaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You can 3D print the switch.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4495244

Drcomanche

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2023 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrcomancheSend a Private Message to DrcomancheEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Spoon:

Plan 'C' plug & play alternative. No cleaning necessary. Don't try adding it to your cart here. Just in case!!

Spoon

I had a look at those. Not sure how they'd fit with that style of clip in fit, but the cap itself and the internals will all fit into the fiero's bolt in switch housing.

To the point of fiero store having them, they are one of the only ones, and are more expensive. Firebird switches are a bit more available and potentially more common at scrap or u pull it yards. Again, I got those switches and the mirror switch for 5 bucks.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2023 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wichita:
You can 3D print the switch.
But depending what plastic is used... many won't last long dealing w/ user abuse, UV, and Heat.
Cabin Temp when vehicle is Parked is often between 150 to 200°F and not just hot weather days. see https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141784.html Fiero Engine bay vs Heat.

Once had very good paper from aappublications.org covering heat killing kids in parked cars but now behind member/pay wall...
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2023 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The 84 Fieros like my Indy had black knobs and switches.
Every year after that has the grey switches and knobs.

My Indy's switches were crap - the plastic had faded.

Luckily, the 80's Camaros and Firebirds used similar switches. (odd that they still looked good in the wrecking yard).
While I couldn't use the switches themselves, the caps could be popped off and swapped onto the Fiero switches.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

mmeyer86gt/gtp

Feedback score:    (161)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 73
Rate this member

Report this Post01-26-2023 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mmeyer86gt/gtpSend a Private Message to mmeyer86gt/gtpEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 3d printed switch has issues it is not a perfect model by any means.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock