Where can mice get into a Fiero by Romsk
Started on: 11-14-2022 02:40 PM
Replies: 9 (458 views)
Last post by: Romsk on 11-20-2022 08:49 AM
Romsk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RomskClick Here to visit Romsk's HomePageSend a Private Message to RomskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I did a search and saw ways to deter mice. What I would like to know is what are ALL the points people have found where mice are getting into their Fieros.
I had a 1986 SE that sat outside for over a decade. When I finally stripped it down for parts I found no evidence of mice in the cabin or in the front trunk.
I was amazed at them not getting into the cabin because all my other cars I had to put in 1/4 inch mesh steel wire over those big inlet ports found in the engine compartment under the front window. I never did that on my Fieros... but maybe it's time?

Why do car manufacturers keep those air ports wide open!!!!

Here are the entry points I have found to date:

Inside the air scoop and in the inner section of the air cleaner, found a nest:
I added steel mesh just inside the scoop hole and check it regularly.

Inside the engine compartment between the air cleaner housing and the driver side wall, found a nest. Mice tore up the insulation and ate through the IAT wires.
Fixed the wires and insulation, and covered the wire harness there with stainless steel braid.

Inside the rear trunk near the coil/alternator cooling fan. Found a nest. I think a mouse got in through the rubber trunk gasket that was out of position. I did not see any holes in any of that sticky rubber gasket around the fan. Is there any other way a mouse can get into the trunk?
I fixed the trunk gasket and put steel mesh over the the outlets on the coil and alternator tubes. I check them regularly.

Inside the door jams. Apparently the bottom gaps from my doors to the frame are wider than a pencil (the classic mouse measurement) since I refurbushed the door hinge bearings and pins. I found this when I opened the passenger door and saw some wet leaves on the door sil/step toward the rear. I thought, how could it be wet when it has been garaged for years and not taken out.
Turns out it was mouse urine. It even looks like some "soaked" debries was in the adjacent area in the door between where the outer door panel meets the door frame. The mice may have also gotten inside the door through gaps in the dew wipes or through the door panel gap. I need to inspect the inside of the doors.
In the meantime, I have tucked thick foam rubber into all the door gaps for winter storage.

Has anyone ever found mice evidence in the front trunk? I haven't, but if you know how they might get in I would like to know.

I think I have heard of mice getting into the cabin, can anyone tell me where I need to mouse proof the cabin?

In the spring I am going to make a car cage like I did for my Benz. It is made with 1x2x8's, screws, glue, studs, wing nuts, staples, and of course that 1/4 inch mesh.
It comes apart in 5 pieces (top, 2 sides, front, and back) for summer access. I wanted to get some old shipping containers but my wife put the kibosh on that idea.

I am curious to where people have found mouse entry points.

Thanks.

------------------
Paul Romsky

[This message has been edited by Romsk (edited 11-14-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The worst area is your heater blower resistor. If there is a nest, it will burn down the entire car. In the front trunk compartment against the firewall. Here are some photos and location of the resistor and what can happen.
If I remember, the air inlet is under the windshield wiper cowl and is wide open. Someone with better knowledge may need to chime in to verify that.

Location is circled in green:

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-14-2022).]

Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I've read many times over the years that mice are able to get into the cowl area (and then into the HVAC system) by crawling up through the two cowl drain tubes.

cvxjet

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cvxjetSend a Private Message to cvxjetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I've read many times over the years that mice are able to get into the cowl area (and then into the HVAC system) by crawling up through the two cowl drain tubes.

Bingo, Patrick.....I read of a number of people who have found the mice are using those as "highways" to the ventilation system. Wire mesh over the bottom of those would possibly solve the biggest (Mice) problem.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Even if you put more screens in/on whatever, mice will still find a way to get in a car.

⚠️ DIY Adding screens can cause problems and fires by getting plugged w/ small crap and mold then blocking air flow to cool the resistor pack.
Same way even w/o mice getting leaves etc plugging Fiero w/ AC covered https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/141959.html Heat/AC box cleaning, again... etc.

or If you put screens on windshield drains, they collect crap and windshield sump can't drain and water goes down Heat/AC input and flood the car.

Just be glad Fiero doesn't have soy and other "organic" plastic like many new vehicles have where mice and worse eat car wiring overnight in way too many cases and currently have lawsuits because of that.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 11-14-2022).]

Neils88

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2022 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Neils88Send a Private Message to Neils88Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Install one of these....

(Picture stolen from 1MohrFiero....)
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2022 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
To keep the interior access closed off, move the TEMPERATURE slider to the HOT position. This closes the blend door in the HVAC housing to prevent mice from entering through the ductwork, but doesn't help with their access to o the fan and resistor area.
WonderBoy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2022 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WonderBoySend a Private Message to WonderBoyEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One problem I had while my 'girl' was sitting for years was a mouse nest (with babies) in the rear trunk blower housing. Found out when I engaged the AC while working on her. That was a painful eviction notice. Have yet to put a mesh SS screen over the alternator and ignition coil output tubes. However, I did cover the air intake to the rear trunk blower.

I also used the same ss mesh for the air intake in the hood where the wiper blade mechanical goodies are that control the wiper arms/hood latch. Secured with clear rtv and bent appropriately so the the rotating wiper arm parts don't make contact. Stopped a lot of crap from getting into the HVAC ducts/heater core/evaporator. (Yes, I did have one of those fan resistor fires in 1998 due to crap getting sucked in and a nest. Was quick to stop it when it happened. New resistor/blower cover/evaporator)

Also replaced the 2 mesh screens (drain) on the windshield cowl. Need to also put some ss mesh in the water spouting tubes at the ends where the water drains off the windshield. So many things to do! Ahhhh

------------------
Curtis

1987 Pontiac Fiero GT:
<Drives like a Go-Kart, handles like a roller coaster>

[This message has been edited by WonderBoy (edited 11-15-2022).]

Romsk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2022 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RomskClick Here to visit Romsk's HomePageSend a Private Message to RomskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
All, thanks. I did put mesh over the cooling tube outlets for the coil and alternator. I am going to add mech to those cowling drain tubed.
I have yet to find the big port to let air into the ventilation system. Many say it is under the wiper tray (as I call it) but yet to find it.
Romsk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2022 08:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RomskClick Here to visit Romsk's HomePageSend a Private Message to RomskEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
WonderBoy,
Thanks for the advice and photos. For my coil cooling fan, I am going to remove the fan and mount the mesh from the inside, then put the fan on 1/4 inch stand offs and make a rubber gasket around it. This will be a lot easier for me since I don't have the ambition to remove all the body panels to put the mesh in from outside the hole.
When I remove the trunk liner to do that, I am going to add mesh to all those holes in the frame (just in case). After I put mesh over the cabin vent port and the drain tubes, I should be able to keep the mice out of the cabin, rear trunk, and front trunk. They will always get into the engine compartment but moth balls an steel braid over wires will help.

For my Benz I just made a enclosure cage made from 1x2x8 and mesh. I made sure there were no gaps anywhere. I put baby powder on the floor around the entire periphery inside the cage and out. Many mice track inside, but none inside, but I did see some small baby garden snake tracks, they can get through the mesh but not under it.

I am going to make one for the Fiero in the spring. I would rather keep them in old shipping containers (and save my all the trouble to build the cages) but my wife still says NO!
The cages aren't bad, they only take a minute to unscrew the wing nuts from the rear panel, remove the panel, then slide the whole cage back from over the car, then dismantle the rest of the cage and put it all aside in the garage agaist the wall.
Paul

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock