Fiero Sunroof whistling by Kitskaboodle
Started on: 10-28-2022 11:20 PM
Replies: 23 (355 views)
Last post by: Kitskaboodle on 12-04-2022 09:52 PM
Kitskaboodle

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2022 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
A number of years ago I replaced my sunroof gasket with one from the FieroStore. I do know that after I installed it the sunroof glass was definitely sitting too high above the roof line. I don’t have any water leaks (thankfully) but I do have terrible wind noise above 40-45’mph or higher. I never really addressed the problem but now I want to try and figure out why my sunroof glass sits so high above the roof line. I thought I saw a thread a few years ago about a common mistake people make with the FieroStore gasket by inadvertently installing it wrong side up.

Please give me info / pointers on what to do to fix the problem.
Thanks, Kit
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2022 11:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It's been years since I replaced mine but are your plastic tabs on the front of the track intact? If I remember, they make the sunroof sit tighter and stop the noise and rattles.
https://www.fierostore.com/.../Detail.aspx?s=64101

Also I never heard about the wrong side up scenario but if I remember, you need to install it with the proper side to the rear.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-28-2022).]

fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 12:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I’ll input on this..

Since 2008, I’ve had the same issue. I can’t confirm what sunroof gasket I have because if I recall correctly, it came in a GM box from the Fiero store.
Yes, there is a specific position to put the gasket in, and it’s simple. The green paint or colouring on the edge of the gasket is for the rear side of the seal. I don’t know if TFS gasket has this ID, but it would be something to ask them. Actually, I bought a sunroof gasket that the Fiero store reproduced. I’ll have a look at it, and report back if the green paint is on their gasket. Yes, in 2008…my gasket was bigger and beefier. That’s my question of what gasket do I have. At that time, I replaced the sunroof tracks with TFS reproductions. Honestly, those tracks didn’t last very long. Rusted into powder within 4-5 year. Yes, my 88GT is a summer car, and stored every winter, inside.
I did buy TFS tracks again 5-6 years ago, but if ever I install them, they will be treated or por-15 for durability.
Really, if we are purists or Fiero enthusiasts, we want quality on our cars. And we all want it to last another 25-30 years. Yes, I do suggest the front mounting hinges from TFS because it’s an upgrade to make the sunroof fit tighter to the roof panel.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info guys.
I am going to start on it today and I will provide some pics as I progress. I’m sure you guys will have some comments/ input on my situation,
Kit
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kit... instead of going through all the trouble of trying to eliminate the whistling, maybe you could instead teach your sunroof to perform the following one hit wonder from the 60's.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Patrick, you’ certainly have a sense of humor. 😀
Anyways, moving right along I have done quite a bit today.
I have a lot of pics to post so beware.

First pic is the leading edge of the sunroof glass. It sure is high.
Kit
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 08:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2990 posts
Member since Nov 2004
Next pic is the rear of the sunroof glass.

It seems to be at the same height as the front.
Here is the rubber seal taken out. This is the side facing up.

Here is the bottom side that goes into the sunroof track channel
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 08:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2990 posts
Member since Nov 2004
After close examInation, I could see that yes, there is indeed a short width side and a slightly wider side. I confirmed that I installed it originally short side toward the front of the car. Is this correct? Or does the short side go toward the back of the car? (To be clear, I’m referring to the width of the rubber in the “long”sections)
Also, in case you are wondering, I did indeed install it absolutely seated down into the channel. (I don’t want you thinking I did not have it down all the way into the channel, causing my height problem)
Also, my sunroof clips & hardware appear to be in good shape.
At this stage in the game, I’m leaning heavily toward the reality that the Fierostore sunroof seal is too tall and fat.

Here is the sunroof with a piece of cardboard taped over the opening.

Abs this is how we clean out and remove surface rust from the channel. I love my Dremel. 😀

And after cleaning out the track, I did my first coat of Rustoleum.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2990 posts
Member since Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kitskaboodle:

After close examInation, I could see that yes, there is indeed a short width side and a slightly wider side. I confirmed that I installed it originally short side toward the front of the car. Is this correct? Or does the short side go toward the back of the car? (To be clear, I’m referring to the width of the rubber in the “long”sections)
Also, in case you are wondering, I did indeed install it absolutely seated down into the channel. (I don’t want you thinking I did not have it down all the way into the channel, causing my height problem)
Also, my sunroof clips & hardware appear to be in good shape.
At this stage in the game, I’m leaning heavily toward the reality that the Fierostore sunroof seal is too tall and fat.

Here is the sunroof with a piece of cardboard taped over the opening.

And this is how we clean out and remove surface rust from the channel. I love my Dremel. 😀

And after cleaning out the track, I did my first coat of Rustoleum.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Kitskaboodle

2990 posts
Member since Nov 2004
I just checked the FieroStore website and the sunroof gasket they have is “aftermarket”. (not GM) I’m not so worried about brand. I’m more worried about height and fit.
Has anyone bought and tried out this aftermarket gasket?
Kit
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The red arrow on the photo goes to the rear of the sunroof. You can see that the front has rounded curves but the area I marked has a tight 90 degree turn. That is how to tell the front from the back.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 10-29-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 09:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for confirming Imsa. I had it mounted correctly then. So, why does my sunroof glass sit so high?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for confirming Imsa. I had it mounted correctly then. So, why does my sunroof glass sit so high?

I need to really dig into mine in the morning to see if I can help. This seems to happen to anyone who replaces their gasket. Tons of people have this issue and most haven't found a solution.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2022 10:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
One more thing of note is that if anyone thinks or wonders if the sunroof gasket compresses (squashes down) over time, I can tell you that did not happen with mine. My sunroof glass has never lowered down or “seated” as far as I can tell.
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

One more thing of note is that if anyone thinks or wonders if the sunroof gasket compresses (squashes down) over time, I can tell you that did not happen with mine. My sunroof glass has never lowered down or “seated” as far as I can tell.

Did you closely follow instruction #3 of the instruction sheet addendum?

Upon installation of a new sunroof weatherstrip, car must be parked on its roof for a period of one (1) month.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2022 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
As another point of reference, I took some pics of my 86GT sunroof glass. It has the original sunroof seal and does not leak nor whistle.
See pics…
(Notice glass is above the roof line but it is not as high as the sunroof glass on my 85GT)
Kit
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2022 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Since I promised reply, I will add more info.

TFS sunroof gasket that I have, I had a look at it.
The underside of the rear mounting area has a a few grooved lines. That will confirm the rear part of the gasket.

Now we know the rear part without the green paint that was applied to the GM gasket.

If you really look at the gasket and match it to the glass, the gasket only goes one way. It’s not really hard to see.

Thanks,

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, Loaded, 5-speed.
88 GT, 5-speed. Beechwood interior, All original.

Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Fierogt28, thanks for the info.
Update: I have done 4 coats of Rustoleum thus far. Second, I called the FieroStore (Steve) and he said that as long as he has been there (5-6 years) nobody has ever called and complained about the sunroof gasket being too tall.
My FieroStore box should be coming in the mail today. I bought a new seal/gasket and a complete hardware kit also. Since it’s supposed to rain today, I might not be able to finish the job today. I will report back later.
Kit
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, here are photos of my sunroof gasket from the Fiero Store. My theory on this is that when they had their vendor reproduce these, they used an original gasket that had flattened out which means that none of them will ever fit as factory. From the factory our sunroofs were almost perfectly flush with the roof panel. The rear part of the gasket is too wide which does not allow it to tuck down behind the sunroof frame. Because it actually sits on top of the frame when compressed and is a rolled edge, that makes the gasket even thicker which holds the glass up higher.

Here is my driver side gasket. You can see that with pressure, it tucks down flush with the sunroof frame.

Now here's where things get bad. This is the rear corner looking down. You can see that as it turns towards the passenger side, the suroof frame disappears under the rear of the gasket rather than sit flush.

I had to brighten this picture but the yellow line is the sunroof frame. The gasket sits about an 1/8" over the top of the frame. This is what causes the sunroof to sit up too high. The only option is to try to tuck the gasket down into the crack but then you may ruin it.

The sad part is that simple fix is to move the rear gasket track back about an 1/8" which would slightly stretch the side of the gasket but would make the rear clearance. Unfortunately the gasket track is already sitting against the rear of the roof panel so it's impossible to move back

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-07-2022).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

The rear part of the (Fiero Store) gasket is too wide which does not allow it to tuck down behind the sunroof frame. Because it actually sits on top of the frame when compressed and is a rolled edge, that makes the gasket even thicker which holds the glass up higher.

I know it's a nuisance and shouldn't be required... but couldn't a thin slice be removed along the inside edge of the rubber gasket (using a sharp exacto knife) which would then allow it to tuck down behind the sunroof frame?
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

I know it's a nuisance and shouldn't be required... but couldn't a thin slice be removed along the inside edge of the rubber gasket (using a sharp exacto knife) which would then allow it to tuck down behind the sunroof frame?

It probably could but it is a rolled edge so it's a double ply. I don't know if the entire rear of the gasket would collapse due to it's "support" being removed. Maybe I'll try it for science

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 11-07-2022).]

PFF
System Bot
IMSA GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2022 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is how the sunroof should sit. I've seen some sit even more flush but this is a good example.
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2022 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I have re-installed the sunroof gasket. A plastic pry tool is very helpful to tuck in the seal into the channel. Go slow, go carefully and don’t apply too much pressure with the flat end of the pry tool as the FieroStore sunroof gasket seems to be softer than the factory seal.
All new sunroof hardware was also used.
Shakedown drive will be tomorrow. Stay tuned…
Kit
Kitskaboodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-04-2022 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KitskaboodleSend a Private Message to KitskaboodleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Sorry for the late update…,,
I took my car out for a drive and I am happy to report that about 75-80% of the wind noise from the sunroof is gone. It’s still there above 50+ mph but it’s much more acceptable now.
I think the reduction in noise is due to
the combination of a new seal and all new sunroof hardware.
From all the feedback I have received, I’m totally convinced the aftermarket seal (from the FieroStore) is flawed because it was copied from a used, imperfect copy.
Thanks to all who responded to my thread!
Kit

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock