Started on: 09-22-2022 11:08 AM
Replies: 11 (309 views)
Last post by: theogre on 03-07-2024 09:55 AM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2022 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Lisle 47900 and maybe some similar bites the hard line to push off a rubber hose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LNX_jSBLtc Tool Demos @YT

I recently got this to remove fuel lines going to the fuel tank. My tool doesn't have "miss align" parts in the video.
On most lines it just works when have enough room for the tool. (If tried on TBI/Carb/TB vac ports often their too close and tool won't fit.)
Will work on larger vent hose for filling port but need to wiggle/pry the rubber off just a bit to let the tool in.
Also works on vac lines for brake booster but be careful on the plastic valve where hose go on. In that case, don't push in tight so line side "teeth" doesn't hit the plastic.

Is "cheap" enough can get second one and carefully grind the tips for small size and less clearance but even then may not help w/ ports very close to each other.
Not sure if the line side or both is harder metal or heat treated is why careful grind and keep metal cool.

Here often can grind a slot in an old flat screwdriver or flat stock and the heat to make a L the heat and quench to harden again so can pull hose off of carb ports.
I made such a tool for 700 TBI but can't find it for pictures. It has 2 bends to work in Fiero because low clearance w/ trunk wall.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Interesting, I never knew such a tool existed. I've always just used a wide slotted screwdriver, and twisted it to push off a hose (or to at least break it free)... but yeah, this would probably work much better.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It works w/ any line or fitting that's have enough clearance.

Example: I used it on 1/2" vac fitting for brake booster on intake for 87-88 Fiero last few days. (Most use 3/8" vac line to booster) Squeeze tool and done. To use push and wiggle a bit to start because hose is tight to hex body then squeeze. No prying, twisting and other crap commonly done.

Used on F-tank hoses everything but big filling hose last week. Only need to pry a bit for fill vent because hose is often push to the tank body.
If the tool hits between fitting body or limit stops on many lines, you often don't need to push harder to get line side of to bit the line. Tool just use them to push on.

limit stops are flares on most hard lines sim to locking flares prevent hose blow off if clamps get a tiny bit loose but Anything this tool can use to work w/o dulling the line side make it work better.

Update: Found a small "pry bar" that should works on many ports w/ little clearance like "pry tool" covered above.
Notch on tools spreads and self center the load. But might not work on EGR vac (3 line counted from left) because 0 clearance.
note: I did not pry against the IAC etc. Just use that space to remove 1 line and take pictures.

I got it from Flea market months ago or more and found yesterday looking for other things and no markings saying brand but should give you the Idea to make sim like said above or look for cheap tool to grind or bend as needed.
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 11:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Hadn't seen this tool before but looks worth having. $11.99 at O-Reilly's.

What helps a lot to remove an old hose is to use a pointed pick to pry hose away from the fitting and then inject WD-40 with a straw. Next use a hose gripping needle nose pliers (cheap at Harbor Freight) to rotate the hose on the fitting. This breaks the bond between the hose and fitting and makes it much easier to slide off.

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson231:
What helps a lot to remove an old hose is to use a pointed pick to pry hose away from the fitting and then inject WD-40 with a straw. Next use a hose gripping needle nose pliers (cheap at Harbor Freight) to rotate the hose on the fitting. This breaks the bond between the hose and fitting and makes it much easier to slide off.
Like these?
https://www.harborfreight.c...mp-pliers-57784.html
https://www.harborfreight.c...ip-pliers-37909.html

Been using many things to break the bond and may work for somethings but often have problems for clearance etc.

While works good w/ fuel and coolant hoses. Many need Cation because Picks and other things often cut tear or pierce non-reinforce vac and other "weak" hoses. Often doesn't need a sharp edge on rubber vac parts, just about anything that focus effect to pull off can wreck vac hoses.

The simple pliers may work best w/ vac lines if you wrap around a port then pull hose off sim to the "pry bar" to get off.
Either type can make reinstalling many hoses easier in hard to reach spaces.
sanderson231

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 06:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sanderson231Send a Private Message to sanderson231Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
the 37909 set of three - great value - use them frequently

Harbor also sells a nice set of small picks

------------------
formerly known as sanderson
1984 Quad 4
1886 SE 2.8L
1988 4.9L Cadillac
1988 3800 Supercharged

[This message has been edited by sanderson231 (edited 09-26-2022).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2022 08:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by sanderson231:
Harbor also sells a nice set of small picks
I have some very cheap ones.

Also sell hose pinch tools that saves time draining whole coolant system or blocking hose for leak testing for other systems.
https://www.harborfreight.c...ff-pliers-99704.html
you often need 2 @ minimum and long enough hose to pinch w/o problems like pinch too near a joint cutting/breaking that area.

Adjust so just blocks flow w/o crushing the hose.

Example: I used two to fix a "rusty" heater pipe under the car so just drain that = maybe a quart of coolant.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Update:
Can find "clones" of top tool @ amicon etc & often in kits of related hose tools like "pliers" for spring clamps on fuel lines but often can grab those w/ many pliers on hand.
Just search: hose removal tool
Vintage-Nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Vintage-NutSend a Private Message to Vintage-NutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Patrick:
Interesting, I never knew such a tool existed.

Indeed, this thread is 'new' to me and added "Hose Removal Tools" on my garage list - Thanks Ogre!

------------------
Original Owner of a Silver '88 GT
Under 'Production Refurbishment' @ 136k Miles

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Welcome.

Also...
I think the small "pry bar" above is maybe a small nail puller for woodwork.

Many are cheaper or better then above but have about same tip shape should work for small vac lines. I found way cheap one last week at flea market even smaller then above example.
If have "dremel" etc is easy to make this thing too from raw stock or mod a screwdriver etc.

Pulling hose off whatever is better then most others. For many, think "Chinese" finger trap to get hoses off.
But watch the part w/ the hose... Plastic & some metal ends will break if the hose is stuck or hard from heat/chem damage. In that case maybe better to cut the end of hose & forget plan to reuse.
Orig88GT-NC

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2024 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Orig88GT-NCSend a Private Message to Orig88GT-NCEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

I have pretty good luck using these type of hose pliers for pulling smaller hoses. You can find them pretty inexpensively. I also have a pair of the pliers that TheOgre has, and agree they work better on a little larger hose if you can get it in the right position.
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-07-2024 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Main problem w/ those is just have big handles in many cases. In other cases, long nose can reach some hard to get hoses.

The top tool can have size problems too in various ways either tip end doesn't fit in small spaces or not enough room for whole thing.

Example: The small bar barely fits to get vac lines off 700 Series TBI for 87+ Fiero 4 cyl.

So often over time you may need all of these & more. Is part of why I buy "weird tools" at flea markets etc because may need them later & can't get them for many reason when needed. I even have some 100+ year old tools not just to have but use. Examples:
Often find 1 tool @ 1 vendor & get very cheap but often need pairs to work on X so just wait till find another cheap one like Hose Pinchers in https://www.fiero.nl/forum/...HTML/146722.html#p26 I now have several in different size/types to handle bigger coolant lines to small vac lines.
Ford Model T "rim crusher" can pull other things besides changing/fixing tires etc. Can use is in smaller/weird spaces that won't allow chain/cable "come a long" things & doesn't take space as many hydro "port a power" kits to store too.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock