Started on: 09-21-2022 09:25 PM
Replies: 5 (402 views)
Last post by: theogre on 11-14-2022 07:52 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2022 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Where can I get Getrag trans plugs for when the axles are pulled? I need something water tight so I can pressure wash the assembly before I re-install it. Thanks.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2022 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The easy way is to take a spare set of axles and cut the tripot housing off them and remove the snap ring. They slide into place and the stock axle seal keeps the water out. Ignore the tape and socket on the end... this one also has a center point to locate the axle position on a rear motor plate.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 09-21-2022).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2022 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I've got a old set of axles and I did consider that. Sadly, I don't have the equipment to do that myself. I was hoping someone might have a source for the plastic ones that come in new or rebuilt transaxles.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2022 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
⚠️
Axles and other things Will Not prevent water getting inside when pressure washing.
Axle and other lip seals are not made to get hit with pressure and can even wreck them w/ pressure washer.

Trans Vent to air and O-ring on VSS may not seal either or VSS itself can have problems hit w/ pressure washer.

Remove big crap w/ scraper etc before you wash w/ anything.
Use engine cleaner in somewhat in small areas so never dries and use brushes to work the chemical.
Then rinse before chemical dries.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I finally found a perfect solution for my Getrag axle "shipping" plugs:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-1162-02602.aspx

Advance Auto had the best price around here, around $5.75 each. A slight interference fit and then a 1/4 turn on the 5/16-16 nut. I mention the thread size because I bought wingnuts so I didn't have to use a wrench.
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2022 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
May work on some units and not others.
D-side axle hole on TH125 is a Not because how they "plug in..."

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock