Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions
  Are 3800 SC swaps still possible in 2022?

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

next newest topic | next oldest topic
Are 3800 SC swaps still possible in 2022? by Additivewalnut
Started on: 01-15-2022 02:42 AM
Replies: 15 (411 views)
Last post by: InTheLead on 01-18-2022 11:56 AM
Additivewalnut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 02:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
It seems like a lot of the people who used to make the swap parts have retired or gone missing since 2011...

Does West Coast Fieros still make parts? Does anyone around here still make parts? I've been wanting to start a swap for ages now but can't seem to find good info on harnesses and low mount brackets or coolant tubes or fuel lines.. so many conflicting answers I don't even know where to begin.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 05:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without a doubt 3800SC swaps have slowed down due in part that it is now an old engine and difficult to find in good low mileage condition. WCF is still making swap parts, so is fierorog. A few members here can supply harnesses. Its possible to still do this swap but again the 3800 was last manufactured 1995-2008. In the automotive world that is a long time ago.There are more modern swaps that can be done like the LFX but they are difficult to do requiring cradle mods and a CAN PCM work around to complete.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

WCF is still making swap parts, so is fierorog.A few members here can supply harnesses. There are more modern swaps that can be done like the LFX but they are difficult to do requiring cradle mods and a CAN PCM work around to complete.

Hopefully some people who can help with harnesses will pop in. I've been considering the 3.4 swap since it's all plug and play but I dont want to be disappointed by it after going through everything to drop the motor. I see you turbo'd a 3.4, I assume you built the motor but where did you get exhaust manifolds? Can I throw an m90 on a 3.4?
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua: it is now an old engine and difficult to find in good low mileage condition.

This.

Demand has dropped from buyers, not supply from venders.

Did you already secure an engine? I'd be more worried about that then the mounts and harness.
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 06:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by reinhart:

This.

Demand has dropped from buyers, not supply from venders.

Did you already secure an engine? I'd be more worried about that then the mounts and harness.

Finding a motor around here actually isn't too bad. I'm surrounded by 4 junkyards and you'd be hard pressed to not find a 3800 within the first 10 minutes of going to one
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
You have a PM
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

You have a PM

I replied, hopefully I did it correctly, never sent a pm on this site before
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
YES! I would find a 3800 SC equipped car for sale with a rusty beat up nasty body. Mine had massive hail damage and water intrusion into the interior due to windows being open.

Sell all the parts you dont need - bumper covers sell well as do headlights and perhaps some other parts people need for deer hits etc. Take the engine, tranny, computer, and harness. Then sell the rest for scrap. Just make sure your engine has good oil pressure and compression and runs pretty well. Mine had a SC Couple rattle that sounded like shat but IS an EASY fix.

Good luck!
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DimeMachine:

YES! I would find a 3800 SC equipped car for sale with a rusty beat up nasty body.
Good luck!

God I wish it were that easy. Only fieros in Eastern Missouri marketplace right now are 2.8L and overpriced.. I'll keep an eye out though
A_Lonely_Potato

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2022 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for A_Lonely_PotatoSend a Private Message to A_Lonely_PotatoEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Additivewalnut:

God I wish it were that easy. Only fieros in Eastern Missouri marketplace right now are 2.8L and overpriced.. I'll keep an eye out though

I believe DimeMachine was implying to find a 3800 equipped car from the factory(such as a pontiac grand prix) and take the engine/tranny/harness/ECU from it. Not finding an already 3800 swapped Fiero
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Finding a motor around here actually isn't too bad. I'm surrounded by 4 junkyards and you'd be hard pressed to not find a 3800 within the first 10 minutes of going to one

This is a 3800 W/ SC or just a 3800? I see 3800's in the yards but have yet to spot an SC.
PFF
System Bot
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 07:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

This is a 3800 W/ SC or just a 3800? I see 3800's in the yards but have yet to spot an SC.

3800 SC specifically. Can't go 2 feet without seeing one at my local Pick n Pull
DimeMachine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-17-2022 12:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by A_Lonely_Potato:

I believe DimeMachine was implying to find a 3800 equipped car from the factory(such as a pontiac grand prix) and take the engine/tranny/harness/ECU from it. Not finding an already 3800 swapped Fiero

That is exactly what I was suggesting. Thank you!
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 04:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

3800 SC specifically. Can't go 2 feet without seeing one at my local Pick n Pull

Lucky man! Curious what would the engine plus tranny sell for there?
Additivewalnut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 04:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdditivewalnutSend a Private Message to AdditivewalnutEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Lucky man! Curious what would the engine plus tranny sell for there?

They charge 200 for just the motor, wiring harness and trans im not too sure what the going rate is
InTheLead

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2022 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for InTheLeadSend a Private Message to InTheLeadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
There's quite a few if you look around. Not to mention there's multiple remanufacturer/rebuilder companies offering the engines still with 3+ yr warranty. My turbo 3800 build was done on an Autozone provided engine, was $2100 delivered.. pricey but was under the weather at the time and nursing my way back from major illness so I went with the 'clean' and new as possible route. Zero issues 16k miles in.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock