Inner B-Pillar Water Leak by reinhart
Started on: 01-10-2022 08:31 AM
Replies: 4 (188 views)
Last post by: reinhart on 01-14-2022 05:34 AM
reinhart

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2022 08:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88GT with sunroof.

Had a rear speaker go bad so I pulled back the plastic interior B-pillar piece (by the seat belt upper attachment) and noticed there was a lot of water on the inside of the B-Pillar next to the speaker and put my finger up in between the frame and headliner board and found out it was leaking water from between the headliner and the frame there. There had just had a big storm that lasted for a week so it was rain leaking in.

I know there's a service advisory for drilling holes in the roof, however I believe 87 and 88 came with the holes pre-drilled, is that correct since the advisory was 84-86? Also would a leaky sunroof leak at the back side of the headliner? There's no evidence of any water leaking anywhere near the sunroof (headliner fabric is dry and no water coming in that I can find).

I fiberglassed over my headliner material a while back when I changed the headliner so if water were dripping onto the headliner, it could flow over it and come out somewhere like the back corner rather than just soak into the fiber board.

Also I replaced the windshield about a year ago. I did have a few places that were leaking from my installation that I fixed with sealant. It is possible that there is water getting in either the left or right upper corners where the seal meets the windshield as the seal is slightly lifted up in those corners but would leaks by the upper corners of the windshield leak back by the rear B-pillars?

So basically I'm wondering from where would water leaking in be able to leak down the inner B-pillar?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2022 09:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Could be a simple as S-roof glass and seal is dirty or misaligned when "closed."
Or roof drains are blocked.

A lot of dirt can keep roof open enough to leak.

Front hinge parts can wear and/or bend and roof doesn't closed right w/o you checking every time you open it.
Example: I have to pull the glass forward before closing to make sure close right or r-side can leak.
The hinge tabs bend if hit or have problems installing after glass is off. Glass puts all the weight on the tabs if you have problems taking glass off or in like loosing you grip or too short/weak to handle it w/ hands outstretch to pickup the center of glass. Even New tabs can have same problem if you remove the glass only 1 or a few times.

While both of these often leak on the seat(s) or floor directly, could flow to B-pillar or other weird places.

S-roof unit is design to allows some water in it and drain tubes flows...
Block drains or parked on on hill then drains won't flow right or not at all.

Could be rood studs have problems and roof itself and/or rear clip lets water in and Maybe affected by how you parked too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 01-10-2022).]

reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-12-2022 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre. Would an 88 already have the sunroof service advisory holes drilled or do I need to check for that?
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2022 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
should already have the holes but they or drain tubes can have problems or other things are problems as above.
Holes are small and under the seal in rear corners and maybe buried in/under dirt and rust.
reinhart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2022 05:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for reinhartSend a Private Message to reinhartEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
After closer examination it looks like the right side sunroof weather strip is coming up slightly leaving a gap between the fiberglass and the weatherstrip. Would a leak there leak into the inner B-Pillar? I'm thinking of putting weatherstrip sealant in the gap. Or is that a bad idea as it would block the drain holes in the fiberglass?

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock