powertrain swap by larry mimbs
Started on: 01-09-2022 02:18 PM
Replies: 8 (372 views)
Last post by: ericjon262 on 01-31-2022 10:34 PM
larry mimbs

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 2.5l automatic trans. with trans/diff problems that needs an upgrade. I have a 2000 Malibu with 3.1l auto. I have a pair of KKK turbos from a Porsche 996T 3.6l with internal wastegates. Just over 400 hp. Would that make a reasonable combination?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ericjon262

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2022 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would suggest going with a single turbo, one is difficult enough to install cleanly, 2 makes for headaches. the 3100 is almost a bolt in for a 2.8, you'll need to do some wiring, and unless you make a low mount alternator, or swap a 88 timing cover and run fiero accessories, notch the decklid.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2022 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I would exercise caution in a DIY turbo project. While you could probably get away with 5-6 lbs of boost an engine must be strong enough and tuned for boost. You just can't bolt a turbo on a used high mileage engine and go. Things like cam profile, variable timing retard under boost, fuel pressure referenced to boost and grades of fuel used, all will have a bearing. There is no way that you will get anywhere near 400HP with the combo that you are intending to swap.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, custom ZZP /Frozen Boost Intercooler setup, 3.4" Pulley, Northstar TB, LS1 MAF, 3" Spintech/Hedman Exhaust, P-log Manifold, Autolite 104's, MSD wires, Custom CAI, 4T65eHD w. custom axles, Champion Radiator, S10 Brake Booster, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-13-2022 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
There is no way that you will get anywhere near 400HP with the combo that you are intending to swap.

OP might get close, but he's going to need a lot more than the 5-6 psi boost you suggest.

I agree with the idea of doing a single turbo. A turbo install is a plumbing project; the less pipes you have, the easier it is!

Also, there's no replacement for displacement.
larry mimbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 11:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I also have a couple of buick/olds/landrover aluminum v8s, but moving the starter to the other side is a major nightmare.
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2022 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by larry mimbs:

I also have a couple of buick/olds/landrover aluminum v8s, but moving the starter to the other side is a major nightmare.

Fieroguru offers a bracket to install a starter on the bellhousing of a transmission:
https://fieroguruperformance.com/?page_id=1558
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2022 02:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

do they have the metric bellhousing pattern? I suspect they would use the BOP pattern, which would make any swap much more difficult.

------------------
"I am not what you so glibly call to be a civilized man. I have broken with society for reasons which I alone am able to appreciate. I am therefore not subject to it's stupid laws, and I ask you to never allude to them in my presence again."

cognita semper

larry mimbs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-29-2022 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for larry mimbsSend a Private Message to larry mimbsEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
The BOP/rover bellhousing is unique. Nothing else is close. I already made an adapter to bolt a GM metric transmission to the BOP block.
ericjon262

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-31-2022 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ericjon262Send a Private Message to ericjon262Edit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

The BOP/rover bellhousing is unique. Nothing else is close. I already made an adapter to bolt a GM metric transmission to the BOP block.

it's uncharted territory, which makes it interesting, not sure how practical or fast it will be when you're done though.

------------------

cognita semper

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock