3800 dogbone mount/bracket/tensioner pulley assembly - overhaul by DimeMachine
Started on: 01-01-2022 10:43 AM
Replies: 3 (167 views)
Last post by: olejoedad on 01-05-2022 01:37 PM
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2022 10:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
This is not necessarily the Best way to build this bracket - but (with that out of the way) it is one method that has worked for me without fail (hundreds and hundreds of WOT launches) the past 8+ years and it needed an update.

The best part is the cost to me was essentially ZERO because everything was scrap materials I had laying around for just such an occasion.

Happy New Year. NOTE: Pic is not my swap - it is someone else's that just looks kick ars.

------------------
84/87 NB, 3800SC, E-85, VS Cam, 2.8 Pulley, 4T65E-HD, HP Tuners, AEM Wideband, Regal GS Gauges, S-10 Brake Booster. 1/4 mile -11.85 at 114mph

[This message has been edited by DimeMachine (edited 01-01-2022).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2022 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Haven't used a dog bone on a swap in 15 years.

The stock layout is the worst drivetrain mounting system GM ever produced.

Good video, as always!
DimeMachine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2022 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DimeMachineSend a Private Message to DimeMachineEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by olejoedad:

Haven't used a dog bone on a swap in 15 years.

The stock layout is the worst drivetrain mounting system GM ever produced.

Good video, as always!

Thank you!

With the harsh launches I put this through and all the lower mounts being on rubber I have to believe the dogbone (and its leverage advantage) greatly help my 3800 stay put and also prevent premature lower mounts from failing early. I think you could do stiff captured poly mounts the would not fail - but they would come with a lot of noise and vibration. I think a NA 3800 could last along time in a fiero with just rubber. Just my expanded thoughts.

Cheers!
olejoedad

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2022 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for olejoedadSend a Private Message to olejoedadEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If GM had used two dog ones on top it would make a lot more sense.

The Fiero OEM setup allows the drivetrain to twist under launch - not a good situation.

Been using a different setup for years now, not one mount failure in 400+ HP V-8 installs, both manual and automatic transmission cars.

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock