3.1 idle question by Luperman
Started on: 12-30-2021 05:15 PM
Replies: 9 (158 views)
Last post by: fierofool on 01-09-2022 03:10 PM
Luperman

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
for anyone who has done the 3.1 conversion, does the idle run a little rough but smooths out once you give it some gas not sure if it would do this with all the parts from the previous 2.8 engine installed on it, this was a new crate motor for a chevy lumina, I have pulled each plug wire one at a time and the idle does not change, this was installed on my 86 GT, any suggestions would be helpful
TIA Donald
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Luperman:

I have pulled each plug wire one at a time and the idle does not change

That's odd.

I hope when you're doing this that you're grounding the plug wire (to prevent damage to the coil).

Luperman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2021 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
yeah I did ground each time,
claude dalpe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2021 10:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Luperman

You don't detect any change in RPM because your IAC compensates for the loss of RPM when you unplug each plug wire, if you really want to see a difference unplug the IAC.
You say it's a new crate engine, let it run a bit, you have to break it in and the ECM is to learned the new engine. Go do some KM.
Luperman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2021 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
I took it for a small drive today it has great power response trying also to get the TV cable set right I had to let off the gas each time for it to shift to the next gear, I think also the tach might be off some roller at 60 MPH and the tach is at 3200 rpm sucks I only have one day each week to get to work on it now so I got to take my time with working out the bugs, just happy it runs after working on this project for the last year and a half.
Luperman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if the 2.8 fly wheel flex plate could cause this roughness at idle since it is installed on the 3.1 engine ?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 08:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
If you used a pre-88 flex plate, you can have issues. The 3.1 engine is internally balanced and needs a neutral balanced flexplate or flywheel. You might find some roughness at idle. In the case of a 3.1 with a manual transmission externally balanced flywheel, it can do damage to the crankshaft bearings and seal.
Luperman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
well that may be my roughness issue due to me using the original 86 flex plate, dang just when I got it all together, I didnt even think to look into that , thanks for the info fiero fool
Luperman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 09:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LupermanSend a Private Message to LupermanEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post

Luperman

186 posts
Member since Dec 1999
I checked rock auto and found these listed but it said without weights?
https://www.rockauto.com/en...matic,flexplate,8608

will one of these still work for my 3.1 issue?
fierofool

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2022 03:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofoolClick Here to visit fierofool's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofoolEdit/Delete MessageReply w/QuoteDirect Link to This Post
Without weights is the 88 neutrally balanced flexplate. Anything above the 88 will be neutrally balanced. I have a Lumina APV 3.1 in one of my cars and I'm using a flywheel from a 91 Beretta.

[This message has been edited by fierofool (edited 01-09-2022).]

next newest topic | next oldest topic

All times are ET (US)

Hop to:

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock